< 12
Media Center>Trailer: The Last Duel
Buehler445 02:10 PM 07-31-2021
I'm in.

[Reply]
Deberg_1990 09:11 AM 01-16-2022
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I enjoyed it. I think it flopped hard.
Yea. I’ve seen some theory’s out there that Disney is sabotaging all the old 20 Century Fox films they inherited after the takeover. It does feel like they just dumped a bunch of them out there with little fanfare.
[Reply]
HC_Chief 09:16 AM 01-16-2022
It is pretty good. The way in which the story is told is the most impressive aspect IMO.

Combat scenes were brutal!
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 09:33 AM 01-16-2022
Yea. Im only about halfway thru and it’s quite impressive. The acting, screenplay, action, sound design, direction, costumes, detail in set design is all top notch.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 02:49 PM 01-16-2022
Finished it. That was absolutely outstanding.

Riveting from start to finish.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 09:36 AM 01-17-2022
Originally Posted by HC_Chief:
It is pretty good. The way in which the story is told is the most impressive aspect IMO.

Combat scenes were brutal!
Yea. That different points of view thing was fascinating. I was really trying hard to pick out all the subtle differences in dialogue and perspective. There were quite a few of them and I think I missed a lot of them.

That actual duel scene was incredible. Just an amazing work all around. When Ridley Scott is at the top of his game, he’s one of the best.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 05:05 PM 01-17-2022
It was really good. Not a superhero movie though so nobody cares.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 07:40 PM 01-17-2022
Is the movie really that good? How violent is it? Nothing with eyes I hope.

I have read the real story in the history books so I know the outcome.
[Reply]
srvy 07:47 PM 01-17-2022
Man, is it really this good? I mean I can't stand Damon and the trailer on TV his accent was hysterical. I mean if it's good I will watch.
[Reply]
HC_Chief 07:51 PM 01-17-2022
It is good, definitely worth the watch.

WRT violence, it is graphic. And brutal. There isn't too much of it though, so you should be fine. Definitely not appropriate for kids... not at all.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 08:15 PM 01-17-2022
James Hetfield definitely impressed me as Jean.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 08:26 PM 01-17-2022
Originally Posted by srvy:
Man, is it really this good? I mean I can't stand Damon and the trailer on TV his accent was hysterical. I mean if it's good I will watch.
It’s very very good. I doubt the dialogue was 100% accurate to the time. I’m sure liberties were taken there. It sort of reminded me of ‘Amadeus’ where they modernized a lot of the dialogue for modern audiences.

The guy that kinda shocked me was Affleck. From the trailers I was like “WTF??” But his acting fit the character (dude was a twit) and I ended thinking he did a good job in the role.

And the action while not a lot of it was brutal and extremely well done.
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:29 AM 01-19-2022
Originally Posted by Carr4MVP:
Is the movie really that good? How violent is it? Nothing with eyes I hope.

I have read the real story in the history books so I know the outcome.
Originally Posted by srvy:
It’s good. But it’s definitely not a shut your mind off fight flick that I am admittedly a sucker for. If you want John Wick with swords, don’t watch.

I don’t think I am giving anything away by telling the structure, but I’ll throw it in a spoiler just in case. Let me be clear, there are no spoilers just the structure of the movie.

Spoiler!

There is a fair bit of nuance that you need to be in for to make it work. IMO it is good and worthwhile and probably a grown-up discussion that should be had in corners of society. My understanding is there is a book it is based on which follows a similar format.

The combat violence (there is some outside of the duel) isn’t highly choreographed and is brutal. There is also some sexual violence that straight up made me uncomfortable. I do have a daughter, which admittedly changes the calculus, but I don’t have any underlying trauma or anything to cause discomfort. It’s just damn uncomfortable. That scene is a one time watch for me.

IMO it is a good and worthwhile film because it operates with some nuance. I’m the world we live in today, it was welcome, at least in my eyes. Damon is an odd casting, but plays the part he’s cast in well. Afleck was weird as all fuck, but anybody else in there would have been weird without the name recognition. Neither of which were a problem.

I’m all the way down for John Wick. But this isn’t John Wick. This is a nuanced piece largely about the complexities of human behavior and society. It happens to be about a bunch of violence. IMO it does what it sets out to do well.

A couple other dumbass self-reflecting comments in the spoiler.

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Buehler445 12:32 AM 01-19-2022
Carr I’d be interested to know if the book is with a look (listen in my case).

I’d watch the movie. The value is in the reflection, not the events.
[Reply]
sully1983 12:59 PM 01-19-2022
I gave this a re watch not too long ago and it still is really good imo.

Also IMO Adam Driver should have portrayed Kylo Ren like how he acted in The Last Duel. His character in The Last Duel was so suave, cunning, down right evil at times and an all around sociopath.
In those cringe worthy Star Wars sequels his Kylo Ren character was such an annoying whiny emo pussy. Definitely a missed opportunity imo.
[Reply]
srvy 11:01 AM 01-20-2022
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
It’s good. But it’s definitely not a shut your mind off fight flick that I am admittedly a sucker for. If you want John Wick with swords, don’t watch.

I don’t think I am giving anything away by telling the structure, but I’ll throw it in a spoiler just in case. Let me be clear, there are no spoilers just the structure of the movie.

Spoiler!

There is a fair bit of nuance that you need to be in for to make it work. IMO it is good and worthwhile and probably a grown-up discussion that should be had in corners of society. My understanding is there is a book it is based on which follows a similar format.

The combat violence (there is some outside of the duel) isn’t highly choreographed and is brutal. There is also some sexual violence that straight up made me uncomfortable. I do have a daughter, which admittedly changes the calculus, but I don’t have any underlying trauma or anything to cause discomfort. It’s just damn uncomfortable. That scene is a one time watch for me.

IMO it is a good and worthwhile film because it operates with some nuance. I’m the world we live in today, it was welcome, at least in my eyes. Damon is an odd casting, but plays the part he’s cast in well. Afleck was weird as all fuck, but anybody else in there would have been weird without the name recognition. Neither of which were a problem.

I’m all the way down for John Wick. But this isn’t John Wick. This is a nuanced piece largely about the complexities of human behavior and society. It happens to be about a bunch of violence. IMO it does what it sets out to do well.

A couple other dumbass self-reflecting comments in the spoiler.

Spoiler!
Thanks for the input and agree about watching the rape scene. If I find myself bored needing something to watch I'll have a go at this. I will be honest I have never thought the Affleck Damon crew was all that so if I do catch it fine if I don't fine also.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up