ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Media Center>Any interest in a Chiefs Planet Book Club?
Vladimir_Kyrilytch 08:53 PM 01-20-2023
Hi folks. Some of you might recognize me from making excellent posts all over the forum. Sometimes when I'm not bringing new perspectives to the forum, I read books. Real literature. Timeless classics. Name a classic that you heard people have to read if they major in pre-waitering, English Lit, and I've read it. But there's nowhere on this forum to discuss such works of art, these literary pieces, these books.

Perhaps its because I'm what my old grandmammy Callie called me in my youth: an old soul. Or perhaps it's cause no one ever floated the idea. Let's find out.

I say let's start a CP book club and our first book will be The Unvanquished by William Faulkner. Reply if you're down.

I grew up in a town without many literate, let alone literary, friends. Might CP have any intellectual giants like me?

Order your copy of The Unvanquished now cause I'm liable to start this club with no support, much like Nathan Bedford Forrest didn't need or wait for support before charging a weak Union line.
[Reply]
Vladimir_Kyrilytch 10:33 AM 01-25-2023
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
Hey, guys - just beware that if you join this book club more likely than not you'll be halfway through Anna Karenina or whatever and Vlad will contact you and let you know that she throws herself in front of a train and dies in the end. That's kinda his thing.

Happy book clubbing!
My bad twisted chief. TLou2 being anti white woke was all over my youtube feed 5 years ago. I legit thought everyone knew how it ended already, already got mad about, and moved on.

The show is about how lesbians are better than men. How did you think it was gonna end for crying out loud. Dead men, thats how.

Anyway the video game sequel isnt even canon. It could end differently just as sure as star wars didnt follow the EU.
[Reply]
Chitownchiefsfan 10:38 PM 01-25-2023
Originally Posted by Vladimir_Kyrilytch:
My bad twisted chief. TLou2 being anti white woke was all over my youtube feed 5 years ago. I legit thought everyone knew how it ended already, already got mad about, and moved on.

The show is about how lesbians are better than men. How did you think it was gonna end for crying out loud. Dead men, thats how.

Anyway the video game sequel isnt even canon. It could end differently just as sure as star wars didnt follow the EU.

So you went into a thread about a show or game you never saw to bitch about wokeness. And in the meantime just annoyed a bunch of people who genuinely enjoy it.

Yeah. That's pretty on brand for you.
[Reply]
Vladimir_Kyrilytch 12:54 AM 01-26-2023
Originally Posted by Chitownchiefsfan:
So you went into a thread about a show or game you never saw to bitch about wokeness. And in the meantime just annoyed a bunch of people who genuinely enjoy it.

Yeah. That's pretty on brand for you.
I didnt know that Anna K threw herself in front of a train at all. That is Tolstoy. So we all spoiled something for ourselves here. What matters is the friends we met along the way.
[Reply]
Vladimir_Kyrilytch 01:25 AM 01-26-2023
Jenson you were right about the cardboard in Winesburg. Come to realize that most all of my leather bound books have cardboard in them. The one exception is the Holy Bible.
[Reply]
Vladimir_Kyrilytch 10:32 PM 01-29-2023
Hey Twisted Chief, you ever really read any Tolstoy?

Here's something about Anna Karenina you didn't know. So while Dostoevsky was in prison, a very old school very Russian version of a temporary holding cell, awaiting execution for his participation in the Petroshevsky Circle, there was one thing that tormented as much as other things. It was a tormented time as you can imagine. But it pissed him off that Tolstoy was gonna go down more famous for him, for having written better works than him. It really did. He said Tolstoy ripped him off in the first place with Anna K and he could 3-bet the sun of a bitch if he could live.

Well it took some time in Siberia at a penal colony but he sure did put Tolstoy to shame, didn't he? He did. Love that about Fyoder.
[Reply]
scho63 06:11 AM 01-30-2023
I just read Cat in the Hat.

Very difficult read.
[Reply]
Vladimir_Kyrilytch 02:51 PM 01-30-2023
Originally Posted by scho63:
I just read Cat in the Hat.

Very difficult read.
You're the one that first noticed that Yoknapatawpha County was a Faulkner reference sir. You've read a bit more than that Dr. Seuss I suspect.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 02:26 PM 01-31-2023
Originally Posted by Vladimir_Kyrilytch:
Hey Twisted Chief, you ever really read any Tolstoy?
Years ago I proudly (and honestly) read half of Anna Karenina, Brothers Karamazov, and War and Peace. I just didn't have the grit to make it through the second half of any of them. But I liked them in that order.

Now I read so much for work that the thought of reading for pleasure is so very distant.

My favorite novel fwiw is A Hundred Years of Solitude followed by a bunch of John Irving stuff.
[Reply]
Vladimir_Kyrilytch 05:26 PM 01-31-2023
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
Years ago I proudly (and honestly) read half of Anna Karenina, Brothers Karamazov, and War and Peace. I just didn't have the grit to make it through the second half of any of them. But I liked them in that order.

Now I read so much for work that the thought of reading for pleasure is so very distant.

My favorite novel fwiw is A Hundred Years of Solitude followed by a bunch of John Irving stuff.
I thought you were gonna say "my favorite novel is Batman episode 6" or some such DC comics thing. Lol!

It is possible that Gogol is the best of the Russians. Dead Souls, believe it or not, is laugh out loud funny.

I will check out 100 years of solitude.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up