ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 21 of 33
« First < 111718192021 2223242531 > Last »
Media Center>Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
Bowser 06:57 PM 04-03-2022
Maybe it's overkill having a thread for this, but meh.

[Reply]
Lzen 06:40 PM 08-07-2023
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
My guess is that it comes back sometime during S5. Too good a hook not to revisit that at some point during the final season.
What makes you think this will have 5 seasons? Most good trek series had 7 seasons.
[Reply]
Lzen 07:01 PM 08-07-2023
Originally Posted by JohnnyV13:
Sorry, I just despise musicals. I hate Sound of Muzak, and pretty much everything that came after it.

The ONLY musicals I can tolerate is when performing musical numbers makes sense within the story. People spontaneously breaking out in song just irks me.
This!

I tried to watch Les Miserables a few years ago. I couldn't get past about 15-20 minutes into it.

And Star Trek is not the place for a musical.
Though I will say Nurse Chapel's number was pretty good.
[Reply]
listopencil 09:50 PM 08-07-2023
Originally Posted by Lzen:
This!

I tried to watch Les Miserables a few years ago. I couldn't get past about 15-20 minutes into it.

Chapel transitioning to Spock was enjoyable.
[Reply]
Megatron96 10:01 PM 08-07-2023
What makes you think this will have 5 seasons? Most good trek series had 7 seasons.

Oh, i read somewhere that SNW was slated to go 5 seasons, that's all. I'd be pretty excited if it went longer. The musical experiment aside, I'm really enjoying SNW so far.
[Reply]
Frazod 12:11 AM 08-08-2023
This!

You absolutely should not judge Les Miserables by that stupid movie, which was basically celebrity karaoke. Even the good performers (definitely NOT YOU, Russell Crowe) can't hold a candle to the professional singers who perform in the stage productions. Seeing it live on stage is a completely different animal.

I really enjoy certain types of musicals - particularly sweeping, historical epic stuff like Les Misberables, Phantom of the Opera and Miss Saigon. I definitely do not like silly shit, and the musical Star Trek episode definitely falls into the silly shit category.
[Reply]
gh4chiefs 07:26 AM 08-08-2023
I think you answered your own question.
[Reply]
Lzen 01:54 PM 08-08-2023
Originally Posted by gh4chiefs:
I think you answered your own question.
Not sure I get your point. I realize TOS only had what....3 (or was it 4?)seasons. But that's because the network was stupid. TNG, DS9, Voyager all had 7 seasons. Hell, I remember when TNG was slated for the last season, I was mad. I loved that show and they were canceling it. They made some argument like not going past its prime and hanging around too long. I guess that makes sense now. That being said, Enterprise only lasted 4 seasons and I thought that was a very well done series that should have been given longer. :-)
[Reply]
KC_Connection 02:04 PM 08-08-2023
Not sure I get your point. I realize TOS only had what....3 (or was it 4?)seasons. But that's because the network was stupid. TNG, DS9, Voyager all had 7 seasons. Hell, I remember when TNG was slated for the last season, I was mad. I loved that show and they were canceling it. They made some argument like not going past its prime and hanging around too long. I guess that makes sense now. That being said, Enterprise only lasted 4 seasons and I thought that was a very well done series that should have been given longer. :-)
He's implying SNW isn't a good Trek series, which would be a false assertion.
[Reply]
gh4chiefs 07:16 PM 08-08-2023
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
He's implying SNW isn't a good Trek series, which would be a false assertion.
I'm not implying it, saying it outright. It's not good. It started strong, and had great potential, but has since devolved. Captain Pike has become a minor, secondary character, there's very little "strange new worlds" involved, and it basically has become "Uhura Begins."

As ridiculous as the musical episode was, perhaps it wasn't as stupid as the episode where Uhura was getting messages and they ended up destroying a major Star Fleet installation on the basis of her hunch. I mean c'mon.

The musical episode was pretty much the nail in the coffin for me. I've lost all interest in it. But I've come to realize it's not written for me.
[Reply]
neblo 08:10 PM 08-08-2023
100 percent agree
[Reply]
Frazod 09:25 PM 08-08-2023
While I overall enjoy the show, I have to agree with this whole morphing Uhura into Burnham, or I guess more accurately, the JarJar Abrams version of Uhura. We don't need another incarnation of Mary Sue/Space Jesus. They're not quite there yet, but it sadly seems to be heading that way.

Uhura was a solid supporting character, but at the end of the day, she mostly sat there and opened hailing frequencies, and that was about it. And she needed a goddamn translation book to talk to the Klingons when they couldn't use the universal translator. :-)
[Reply]
listopencil 05:33 AM 08-09-2023
Originally Posted by Frazod:
While I overall enjoy the show, I have to agree with this whole morphing Uhura into Burnham, or I guess more accurately, the JarJar Abrams version of Uhura. We don't need another incarnation of Mary Sue/Space Jesus. They're not quite there yet, but it sadly seems to be heading that way.

Uhura was a solid supporting character, but at the end of the day, she mostly sat there and opened hailing frequencies, and that was about it. And she needed a goddamn translation book to talk to the Klingons when they couldn't use the universal translator. :-)
I agree. It's like someone on the show went "Oh my God it's a young black female we must worship her!" and splooged all over the script. It's dumb, and it's forced, and it doesn't serve the show.
[Reply]
listopencil 05:38 AM 08-09-2023
Originally Posted by gh4chiefs:
I'm not implying it, saying it outright. It's not good. It started strong, and had great potential, but has since devolved. Captain Pike has become a minor, secondary character, there's very little "strange new worlds" involved, and it basically has become "Uhura Begins."

As ridiculous as the musical episode was, perhaps it wasn't as stupid as the episode where Uhura was getting messages and they ended up destroying a major Star Fleet installation on the basis of her hunch. I mean c'mon.

The musical episode was pretty much the nail in the coffin for me. I've lost all interest in it. But I've come to realize it's not written for me.
The saving grace for me has been that the episodes (more so this season) have been fairly independent of each other even down to tone and usage of differing characters. So if the Mary Sue Uhura episode annoys you (as it did me) then at least it's not necessarily a direction that the show is taking. It is still mildly annoying that they seem to be pushing her character hard each week though.
[Reply]
gh4chiefs 08:38 AM 08-09-2023
Originally Posted by listopencil:
The saving grace for me has been that the episodes (more so this season) have been fairly independent of each other even down to tone and usage of differing characters. So if the Mary Sue Uhura episode annoys you (as it did me) then at least it's not necessarily a direction that the show is taking. It is still mildly annoying that they seem to be pushing her character hard each week though.

Well to me they are pushing the "Mary Sue Uhura" even though, as you say, they do focus on different characters from time to time. But I can see the writing on the wall and where this is headed. And you know what? That would be okay IF the stories were somewhat reasonable. A captain blowing up a dilithium refinery (IIRC) on the say so of a green LT is not reasonable IMHO.

Before anyone dismisses me as a hater, or just being angry, I would say my biggest feeling about the show is disappointment. I was one of the voices clamoring for a Pike series after seeing Anson Mount on Discovery. And I enjoyed season 1. I REALLY like the idea they do weekly episodes instead of a 10 episode arc. After watching the first season I thought we were getting close to old time Trek (as close as we can get in the modern Hollywood era). But somewhere in Season 2 it's lost it's way. And now it appears to be just yet another vehicle to push an agenda. :-)
[Reply]
KC_Connection 09:06 AM 08-09-2023
S2 has been consistently better in quality than S1 as well, that's also a false assertion.

Now it would be accurate to say there's been less of a focus on Pike in general and it's become even more of an ensemble show, but that isn't really a drawback either (the best Trek of all time in DS9 was the same way).
[Reply]
Page 21 of 33
« First < 111718192021 2223242531 > Last »
Up