ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 12
« First < 7891011 12 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Question for you car mechanics out there
Titty Meat 02:10 PM 07-16-2020
I have a 97' Ranger. It wont start all it does is make a "click" sound when I try starting it.

I don't have battery cables but I do have a battery reader and the battery was at 12.3 Volts.

Any idea what might be the issue? I'm thinking a starter.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 02:56 PM 07-25-2020
$275 for a, part store's private label, new starter installed is a fantastic deal in the KC Metro. If he took it to a shop in a back alley under a bridge, down by the river...not so great.

Originally Posted by mac459:
WHY THE **** DID YOU NOT CALL COOPER?!?!?!?!?!?!?

[Reply]
cooper barrett 03:51 PM 07-25-2020
I used Central for starters and alternators when I could not buy quality rebuilt product off the shelf. Never had an issue except time and price.

I used to know the Allen's personally They have been doing it right for almost 50 years.

I only referred one car to them (Triumph TR-8 with a intermittent drain/ fail to charge nightmare) and within 3 hours had it nailed down..

The last thing I want to do is to track down electrical gremlins:-):-):-).

I am afraid that they closed on 18th st as they are now showing this address which is Jerry's longtime home.

Allen Armature & Electric Inc
67XX Switzer Ln
Shawnee, KS 66203
Title: Chief Executive Officer
Phone: (913) 371-9999

Originally Posted by srvy:
You can still get quality rebuilt starters and alttenators from Allen Armature and Electric on 18th street in KCK. Allens will test and install if you choose.

These huge auto parts franchises in the 80s started contracting rebuilders to exclusivly rebuild to their specs for them. My Dads best buddies owned Central Armature and electric off Wornall Rd in Waldo. Western Auto came to him wanting he to exclusively rebuild for them, they dictated to him how and what windings and brushes to use. He told the to get ****ed thats not a rebuild and that he wouldnt soil his reputation by not doing it right. Of course they found one who would. Roy retired and sold the business in the 2000's as his sons choose not to take over the business. It folded 2 years later it was a shame it was a well respected business.

[Reply]
Buehler445 05:40 PM 07-25-2020
Originally Posted by srvy:
You can still get quality rebuilt starters and alttenators from Allen Armature and Electric on 18th street in KCK. Allens will test and install if you choose.

These huge auto parts franchises in the 80s started contracting rebuilders to exclusivly rebuild to their specs for them. My Dads best buddies owned Central Armature and electric off Wornall Rd in Waldo. Western Auto came to him wanting he to exclusively rebuild for them, they dictated to him how and what windings and brushes to use. He told the to get fucked thats not a rebuild and that he wouldnt soil his reputation by not doing it right. Of course they found one who would. Roy retired and sold the business in the 2000's as his sons choose not to take over the business. It folded 2 years later it was a shame it was a well respected business.
That’s good news man. Glad these machine shops can find a niche.
[Reply]
crayzkirk 05:46 PM 07-25-2020
Wow... I bought a new starter on Ebay several years ago for $100 for my 5.2 Jeep. It was a factory part and has been great ever since. The original one would fail when it was hot. That was about six years ago. Has that 318 whine that I remember from my grandfather's car... Plymouth Fury. Starter replacement is so easy.

Had a starter on my outboard go out as well. They are really simple. Bought one on Ebay and still have the original. Probably could use a new set of brushes. There's place on the blvd, or at least there used to be, that would rebuild them.
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 06:01 PM 07-25-2020
Originally Posted by crayzkirk:
Wow... I bought a new starter on Ebay several years ago for $100 for my 5.2 Jeep. It was a factory part and has been great ever since. The original one would fail when it was hot. That was about six years ago. Has that 318 whine that I remember from my grandfather's car... Plymouth Fury. Starter replacement is so easy.

Had a starter on my outboard go out as well. They are really simple. Bought one on Ebay and still have the original. Probably could use a new set of brushes. There's place on the blvd, or at least there used to be, that would rebuild them.
Ok
[Reply]
cooper barrett 09:44 PM 07-25-2020
I remember that place but only did business with the 2-3 times.

Originally Posted by crayzkirk:

[Reply]
cooper barrett 09:50 PM 07-25-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
That’s good news man. Glad these machine shops can find a niche.
Allen is not a machine shop, They did automotive electrical work. If your 64 1/2 mustang's gas gauge quit working, they could fix it. They didn't stock much but they could rebuild and in some cases re manufacture alt's and starters.

PS unless I get an answer Monday, they may have closed.Who has been at I-70 and 18th St recently?

It was a hole 20 years ago, last Google maps pic say's a lot.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...px8wCnoECA8QCw
[Reply]
BigRichard 12:48 PM 11-22-2022
Bump... Doing my mom's spark plug in a 2011 Nissan Murano with a 3.5 L engine. One of the spark plugs had a lot of oil on it but it hasn't shown any symptoms like burning smoke or anything like that. Suggestions here? Change the valve cover gasket maybe? How would I know if that was actually the issue without pulling the plug again? These are the back plugs so you have to remove the manifold to get to them... not a simple task.
[Reply]
lewdog 01:39 PM 11-22-2022
Originally Posted by BigRichard:
Bump... Doing my mom's spark plug in a 2011 Nissan Murano with a 3.5 L engine. One of the spark plugs had a lot of oil on it but it hasn't shown any symptoms like burning smoke or anything like that. Suggestions here? Change the valve cover gasket maybe? How would I know if that was actually the issue without pulling the plug again? These are the back plugs so you have to remove the manifold to get to them... not a simple task.
PM Clay.

He’s got a sick Murano that he turns the wrenches on.
[Reply]
FlaChief58 01:43 PM 11-22-2022
Originally Posted by lewdog:
PM Clay.

He’s got a sick Murano that he turns the wrenches on.
Is his dad a tv repairman?
[Reply]
Buehler445 03:32 PM 11-22-2022
Where was the oil? Was it on the spark side inside of the cylinder or outside suggesting an oil leak somewhere else.

If it is in the cylinder it's probably the rings. Is it missing/Running Rough?

This is a plug out of a non-firing cylinder out of one of my irrigation motors. You can see it crammed oil into the gap of the plug.

This is bad. This needs an overhaul. Sell the car before you get this. Chevy 350s aren't too expensive to overhaul. This would get ugly.
[Reply]
BigRichard 03:45 PM 11-22-2022
Where was the oil? Was it on the spark side inside of the cylinder or outside suggesting an oil leak somewhere else.

If it is in the cylinder it's probably the rings. Is it missing/Running Rough?

This is a plug out of a non-firing cylinder out of one of my irrigation motors. You can see it crammed oil into the gap of the plug.

This is bad. This needs an overhaul. Sell the car before you get this. Chevy 350s aren't too expensive to overhaul. This would get ugly.
Thanks for the reply but I think I found the answer actually. I was watching some videos on replacing the gasket on the valve covers and the guy pulled his off and had the exact same shit in the exact same plug. Turns out that back valve cover has built in rubber gaskets that go around the spark plug tube that are notorious for rotting out and allow oil to seep into the spark plug. His was actually a lot worse then mine was... his coil was completely soaked in it. I looked at my coil again just to check and it did have some oil on it. I already ordered a new valve cover. Pretty certain that will take care of the issue here.
[Reply]
Buehler445 03:51 PM 11-22-2022
Thanks for the reply but I think I found the answer actually. I was watching some videos on replacing the gasket on the valve covers and the guy pulled his off and had the exact same shit in the exact same plug. Turns out that back valve cover has built in rubber gaskets that go around the spark plug tube that are notorious for rotting out and allow oil to seep into the spark plug. His was actually a lot worse then mine was... his coil was completely soaked in it. I looked at my coil again just to check and it did have some oil on it. I already ordered a new valve cover. Pretty certain that will take care of the issue here.
Yeah, if it is on the outside, you have an oil leak, that is a much cheaper problem.
[Reply]
BigRichard 03:47 PM 11-26-2022
Yeah, if it is on the outside, you have an oil leak, that is a much cheaper problem.
One of the bolts broke off taking the valve cover off... talk about a ruining your day.
[Reply]
Buehler445 06:25 PM 11-26-2022
One of the bolts broke off taking the valve cover off... talk about a ruining your day.
Better the valve cover than the exhaust manifold. :-).

Sorry man. That sucks.
[Reply]
Page 11 of 12
« First < 7891011 12 >
Up