ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1718 of 3903
« First < 718121816181668170817141715171617171718 171917201721172217281768181822182718 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
banyon 04:02 PM 04-29-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
That makes sense - but with what I understand is a limited supply on hand, who makes the decisions on who gets it and who doesn't?
That I am not sure of, but they have talked about giving it out for free:

https://endpts.com/ramping-up-global...d-19-for-free/

Gilead is still some days away from turning the card on its first round of data on remdesivir’s ability to fight severe cases of Covid-19, but the big biotech is ramping up an emergency supply of a million courses of therapy as it starts free distribution of the drug to tens of thousands of patients under their compassionate use and expanded access program as well as clinical trials.

In his latest open letter posted over the weekend, Gilead CEO Dan O’Day outlined how the company has been successful in cutting production time on remdesivir while repurposing some of their own facilities and turning to contract manufacturers to build a near-term supply of 1.5 million doses. They are still working on efficacy and dosing, but that supply could cover 140,000 courses of treatment. That supply, he added, would be more widely available following a potential approval.

I would think it would go to the cities with the biggest surge issues.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 04:04 PM 04-29-2020
Pretty much exactly what I said weeks ago:

Gilead drug proves effective against coronavirus in US study

(AP) - U.S. government officials say an experimental drug has proved effective against the new coronavirus in a major study.

Gilead Sciences's remdesivir is the first treatment to pass such a strict test against the virus, which has killed more than 218,000 people since it emerged late last year.

The study was led by the U.S. National Institutes of Health and tested remdesivir versus usual care in more than 1,000 hospitalized coronavirus patients around the world.

Results released Wednesday showed the drug reduced the time to recovery by 31%, or four days on average, compared to usual care.

It is given through an IV and interferes with the virus's ability to copy its genetic material.

By MARILYNN MARCHIONE AP Chief Medical Writer
[Reply]
BWillie 04:13 PM 04-29-2020
Where do you see the critical care number?
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

8th column to the right.

Clearly it is not the end all be all, but it may be an indicator of things.
[Reply]
DaFace 04:13 PM 04-29-2020
Originally Posted by banyon:
If FDA approves the emergency use, then doctors can give it to people making that request if the doctor feels it is compatible with their course of treatment.

They are talking about doing it very soon.
Since I haven't seen this actually sourced in the thread...

Breaking News: The FDA plans to authorize emergency use of the experimental antiviral drug remdesivir for coronavirus treatment. Dr. Anthony Fauci expressed cautious optimism about early trial results.https://t.co/ERJySqWQIm pic.twitter.com/fQEcNNyjhp

— The New York Times (@nytimes) April 29, 2020

[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 04:14 PM 04-29-2020
That makes sense - but with what I understand is a limited supply on hand, who makes the decisions on who gets it and who doesn't?
It depends. Pharmaceutical inventory and procurement isn't really my bag, but many newly-approved drugs with narrow uses are restricted to larger hospitals and the institutions that participated in the original study because the practitioners know the most about their use. Additionally, there are tight restrictions on who can prescribe.

About two years ago the FDA approved a reversal agent for Factor Xa inhibitors (like Xarelto or Eliquis if you'd seen the commercials) called Andexxa. It was about $30,000 for a treatment course and very difficult to obtain unless you got in on the ground floor.
[Reply]
jaa1025 04:16 PM 04-29-2020
Today I learned that one of the retirement centers outside of JOCO is being forced to take positive COVID-19 patients. The hospitals have room but this apparently has something to do with Medicare funding. My coworker's wife works at the retirement center. This is asinine considering the elderly are the highest risks. Has anyone else heard of this happening at other similar places?
[Reply]
petegz28 04:40 PM 04-29-2020
ICU Director from Cedars-Sinai Tarzana. Yes this was from Glen Beck's show but it is not political other than about 20 seconds of talk about the 2 CA doctors having their video removed from Youtube. Talks about suppressing the immune system to save people....

[Reply]
Titty Meat 04:56 PM 04-29-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
ICU Director from Cedars-Sinai Tarzana. Yes this was from Glen Beck's show but it is not political other than about 20 seconds of talk about the 2 CA doctors having their video removed from Youtube. Talks about suppressing the immune system to save people....

:-)
[Reply]
petegz28 05:02 PM 04-29-2020
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
:-)
WTF do you think is so funny? The fact this doctor and his staff have saved lives? Or perhaps you can tell us what the doctor said that was wrong?
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 05:31 PM 04-29-2020
1.) Glenn Beck's show

2.) You felt the need to follow up saying "but it's not political".

3.) 30 seconds in Beck says "thanks for having the courage to come on and say what some people don't want to hear."

Sounds political to me.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 05:32 PM 04-29-2020
In other news, AZ Governor Ducey extended the stay at home order to May 15th.
[Reply]
Monticore 05:32 PM 04-29-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:

I watched most of it makes sense to me, pretty much what others are seeing, it’s a weird virus doing weird unpredictable things with no quick fix answer.
[Reply]
MahiMike 05:34 PM 04-29-2020
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
1.) Glenn Beck's show

3.) 30 seconds in Beck says "thanks for having the courage to come on and say what some people don't want to hear."

Sounds political to me.
Fuck you. Is that political?
[Reply]
2112 05:36 PM 04-29-2020
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Pretty much exactly what I said weeks ago:

Gilead drug proves effective against coronavirus in US study

(AP) - U.S. government officials say an experimental drug has proved effective against the new coronavirus in a major study.

Gilead Sciences's remdesivir is the first treatment to pass such a strict test against the virus, which has killed more than 218,000 people since it emerged late last year.

The study was led by the U.S. National Institutes of Health and tested remdesivir versus usual care in more than 1,000 hospitalized coronavirus patients around the world.

Results released Wednesday showed the drug reduced the time to recovery by 31%, or four days on average, compared to usual care.

It is given through an IV and interferes with the virus's ability to copy its genetic material.

By MARILYNN MARCHIONE AP Chief Medical Writer
That’s great news. Have you heard anything more about mass production issues?
[Reply]
Marcellus 05:36 PM 04-29-2020
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
1.) Glenn Beck's show

Sounds political to me.
Nothing more political than anything said and argued in this thread.
[Reply]
Page 1718 of 3903
« First < 718121816181668170817141715171617171718 171917201721172217281768181822182718 > Last »
Up