ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1565 of 3903
« First < 565106514651515155515611562156315641565 156615671568156915751615166520652565 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
BigBeauford 02:51 PM 04-21-2020
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
From what I understand, anyone that died at home of an unknown nature in NYC was labeled as Covid-19. They attributed it to more "at home" deaths than normal... Well if you are in a "stay at home" environment, there would be more at home deaths from other causes.
These are high level counts with likely big swings of +- the real total. We will all have to wait for disease registrars to give us the real 2020 totals...probably in 2021.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 02:51 PM 04-21-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
I've noticed this too. I've mentioned there's always a swift kick to the balls whenever good news is discovered.

Maybe there's a reason for that. Some of the good news we've heard in the past has turned out to be false. But that's also true of bad news we've heard.

But not ALL the good news can be wrong.
Only 18 deaths in NYC yesterday:-)
[Reply]
O.city 02:51 PM 04-21-2020
Originally Posted by notorious:
Yet the "bad news" stats are believed without question.

The USC and Stanford studies are shining a light on this, yet a lot of people want to immediately discredit the info.

I am getting tired of this.
They're pieces of the puzzle for sure. But like anything, you need rigorous settings to get these things from. Luckily, we're getting a similar picture from all the serology testing. They're doing rather large studies at Oxford and in NYC on this so we'll get more info soon.

I hope like hell they're right and it's way more prevalent than we thought. There's some suspicion that NYC may already be approaching herd immunity as the down side of the slope is pretty rapid but I'm somewhat skeptical of that.

We just don't know shit about this fucker. We've studied some things for fucking decades and still learn new shit. It's frankly, amazing that we know what we do about Sars Cov 2 this quickly.
[Reply]
notorious 02:51 PM 04-21-2020
I've noticed this too. I've mentioned there's always a swift kick to the balls whenever good news is discovered.

Maybe there's a reason for that. Some of the good news we've heard in the past has turned out to be false. But that's also true of bad news we've heard.

But not ALL the good news can be wrong.
Like a lot of us have said, and Mont just now, it ends up being somewhere in the middle, which is good news.

When I heard the USC and Stanford study results, I wasn't surprised in the least. It makes sense.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 02:52 PM 04-21-2020
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
These are high level counts with likely big swings of +- the real total. We will all have to wait for disease registrars to give us the real 2020 totals...probably in 2021.
Correct, but these, if remember correctly, 3700 deaths are currently in the count.
[Reply]
DaFace 02:52 PM 04-21-2020
Yet the "bad news" stats are believed without question.

The USC and Stanford studies are shining a light on this, yet a lot of people want to immediately discredit the info.

I am getting tired of this.
The issue is just that people aren't used to reading about and understanding experimental studies and the peer review process. All of these studies are promising, but the way science works is to assume that you're wrong until there's enough evidence to conclude that you're right. That isn't anything different with this, but most people aren't used to thinking about it in those terms.
[Reply]
O.city 02:55 PM 04-21-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
The issue is just that people aren't used to reading about and understanding experimental studies and the peer review process. All of these studies are promising, but the way science works is to assume that you're wrong until there's enough evidence to conclude that you're right. That isn't anything different with this, but most people aren't used to thinking about it in those terms.
It also shows you can set up stats and studies to somewhat yield what you want at times, so it's always true to let the experts look it over first.
[Reply]
Monticore 02:58 PM 04-21-2020
Like a lot of us have said, and Mont just now, it ends up being somewhere in the middle, which is good news.

When I heard the USC and Stanford study results, I wasn't surprised in the least. It makes sense.
I think we have enough info to say that is seems like a more dangerous virus than Influenza but by how much who knows and that's about it so far. I am taking into account more than just CFR etc.. . (flame away)
[Reply]
O.city 02:59 PM 04-21-2020
At this point, it looks like we actually are lucky it's not worse mortality wise than it is. It shows we're woefully underprepared for a pandemic and hopefully we can be more ready for the next one.
[Reply]
Dartgod 03:01 PM 04-21-2020
Nods approvingly at 'Hamas Jenkins' post.

(Google's coagulopathies)

*continues to nod approvingly*
You could have at least posted the definition and saved the rest of us the trouble.

Originally Posted by :
Coagulopathy (also called a bleeding disorder) is a condition in which the blood's ability to coagulate (form clots) is impaired. This condition can cause a tendency toward prolonged or excessive bleeding (bleeding diathesis), which may occur spontaneously or following an injury or medical and dental procedures.

[Reply]
TLO 03:01 PM 04-21-2020
So according to Worldomoters, over 2500 deaths today. :-)
[Reply]
Monticore 03:02 PM 04-21-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
At this point, it looks like we actually are lucky it's not worse mortality wise than it is. It shows we're woefully underprepared for a pandemic and hopefully we can be more ready for the next one.
Unfortunately SARS, MERS, H1N1, Ebola were not enough to scare us, I am not sure this one will be either.
[Reply]
Donger 03:02 PM 04-21-2020
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
You could have at least posted the definition and saved the rest of us the trouble.
I thought it had something to do with ugly puppies.
[Reply]
petegz28 03:03 PM 04-21-2020
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
NYC had only 18 deaths yesterday
NYC maybe but the entire state had 600+ according to Worldometers
[Reply]
TLO 03:03 PM 04-21-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
Unfortunately SARS, MERS, H1N1, Ebola were not enough to scare us, I am not sure this one will be either.
We're the "king of ventilators" now. Nothing can stop us.
[Reply]
Page 1565 of 3903
« First < 565106514651515155515611562156315641565 156615671568156915751615166520652565 > Last »
Up