ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 4
1 234 >
Media Center>Laptops Thunderbolt Question
Coach 12:19 PM 05-15-2021
So I have 2 questions that I am hopeful that someone can assist me on what I hope to accomplish. I probably know the answer to my own question based on my own research, but want to double check, since I am not quite familiar with this.

Background: A buddy of mine has a laptop (Lenovo T480 Model) for work. Currently he is using a laptop screen and the HDMI port for one external monitor. This buddy wants to see if he can use another monitor. He has researched that the laptop graphics is Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620.

On the laptop, it does have 1 HDMI (which is currently in use for 1 monitor as mentioned above) on the right side (see #8 on the image below).

On the left side of the laptop, it has a "thunderbolt" symbol (#4 on the image below) - which is not currently in use for anything. Further research shows that it has 1x USB 3.1 Gen1 Type C and 1x USB 3.1 Gen2 Type C/Intel Thunderbolt 3.

The 1st question is: Can he use the thunderbolt port to utilize for an 2nd monitor?

Research shows Lenovo's website for this model can support up to 3 monitors (2 external monitors and the laptop - which is the accomplished goal).

The 2nd question applies if the 1st question is "YES": Is it better to get a cord with a male connection to the thunderbolt and a male connection HDMI to the monitor, or to get a male connection to the thunderbolt and a female connection HDMI (adapter), and connect the HDMI cords together?
[Reply]
Fish 04:06 PM 05-15-2021
Yes, thunderbolt works fine for video to a 2nd monitor. That would be the only way to accomplish 3 displays with that laptop. Just get a male thunderbolt cable to whatever connection the monitor accepts (DVI/HDMI/Displayport/etc.). Shouldn't need any adapter.
[Reply]
Stryker 04:46 PM 05-15-2021
A Thunderbolt is a piece of shit docking station. It is a "brick" for lack of better words. Yes you can use dual monitors if you use a Lenovo docking station - an actual docking station. I work for a hospital that uses Lenovo exclusively. Yes you would be able to connect 2 monitors and use the laptop screen as the 3rd.

P.S.

I work in IT and deploy Lenovo products.
[Reply]
Coach 05:05 PM 05-15-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:
Yes, thunderbolt works fine for video to a 2nd monitor. That would be the only way to accomplish 3 displays with that laptop. Just get a male thunderbolt cable to whatever connection the monitor accepts (DVI/HDMI/Displayport/etc.). Shouldn't need any adapter.
So the other question I have then, does he need an actual docking station for this to work?
[Reply]
Coach 05:06 PM 05-15-2021
Originally Posted by Stryker:
A Thunderbolt is a piece of shit docking station. It is a "brick" for lack of better words. Yes you can use dual monitors if you use a Lenovo docking station - an actual docking station. I work for a hospital that uses Lenovo exclusively. Yes you would be able to connect 2 monitors and use the laptop screen as the 3rd.

P.S.

That's the thing, he does not have an docking station. It's just strictly a laptop.
[Reply]
Fish 07:30 PM 05-15-2021
Originally Posted by Coach:
So the other question I have then, does he need an actual docking station for this to work?
Nope. Not necessary.
[Reply]
Stryker 07:31 PM 05-15-2021
That's the thing, he does not have an docking station. It's just strictly a laptop.
Yes but he can purchase one. Even if it is later. Get the laptop now and work towards the docking station. They are not pricey at all.
[Reply]
Fish 07:33 PM 05-15-2021

P.S.

Thunderbolt isn't a docking station. It's an interface, no different than USB. Same form factor as USB-C. Not sure what you mean saying it's a brick?
[Reply]
Stryker 07:34 PM 05-15-2021
You can hook up only one monitor with the HDMI port and use the screen as a second monitor. A 3rd without a docking station is out of the question.
[Reply]
Fish 07:36 PM 05-15-2021
You can hook up only one monitor with the HDMI port and use the screen as a second monitor. A 3rd without a docking station is out of the question.
Incorrect. The thunderbolt/USB-C port(4) works for an external monitor without anything required except a cable from the laptop to the monitor.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPa...page=1#4646500
[Reply]
Stryker 07:39 PM 05-15-2021
Thunderbolt isn't a docking station. It's an interface, no different than USB. Same form factor as USB-C. Not sure what you mean saying it's a brick?
Look at it... it is a BRICK! They have a high failure rate - I KNOW this.

https://www.123securityproducts.com/...AaAitPEALw_wcB

What I am saying from experience, they are a piece of shit! It is not worth $320!
[Reply]
Stryker 07:42 PM 05-15-2021
Incorrect. The thunderbolt/USB-C port(4) works for an external monitor without anything required except a cable from the laptop to the monitor.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPa...page=1#4646500
In my experience, I have replaced a numerous amount of these pieces of shit with an actual docking station more times than I care to count! They are worthless!
[Reply]
Fish 07:42 PM 05-15-2021
Look at it... it is a BRICK! They have a high failure rate - I KNOW this.

https://www.123securityproducts.com/...AaAitPEALw_wcB

What I am saying from experience, they are a piece of shit! It is not worth $320!
Dude... That is just a Lenovo dock with Thunderbolt ports on it. That's not required for this laptop. The laptop already has a Thunderbolt port. That's what port (4) is on the side of the laptop. Dock is not necessary.
[Reply]
Stryker 07:46 PM 05-15-2021
So I have 2 questions that I am hopeful that someone can assist me on what I hope to accomplish. I probably know the answer to my own question based on my own research, but want to double check, since I am not quite familiar with this.

Background: A buddy of mine has a laptop (Lenovo T480 Model) for work. Currently he is using a laptop screen and the HDMI port for one external monitor. This buddy wants to see if he can use another monitor. He has researched that the laptop graphics is Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620.

On the laptop, it does have 1 HDMI (which is currently in use for 1 monitor as mentioned above) on the right side (see #8 on the image below).

On the left side of the laptop, it has a "thunderbolt" symbol (#4 on the image below) - which is not currently in use for anything. Further research shows that it has 1x USB 3.1 Gen1 Type C and 1x USB 3.1 Gen2 Type C/Intel Thunderbolt 3.

The 1st question is: Can he use the thunderbolt port to utilize for an 2nd monitor?

Research shows Lenovo's website for this model can support up to 3 monitors (2 external monitors and the laptop - which is the accomplished goal).

The 2nd question applies if the 1st question is "YES": Is it better to get a cord with a male connection to the thunderbolt and a male connection HDMI to the monitor, or to get a male connection to the thunderbolt and a female connection HDMI (adapter), and connect the HDMI cords together?
Man I am just being totally honest - trust me on this one - I would NEVER steer you wrong! I deal with these on a monthly bases - Lenovo is ALL WE DO! We have over 3500 employees in my organization. The only other company we deal with is Dell and that is for all the VDI's we use.
[Reply]
Fish 07:47 PM 05-15-2021
In my experience, I have replaced a numerous amount of these pieces of shit with an actual docking station more times than I care to count! They are worthless!
The dock might be worthless. But that's irrelevant. You're not understanding...

Take a HDMI to DVI/HDMI/Displayport cable, connect it to port 8 on this Lenovo T480, and connect to external monitor #1.

Take a USB-C to DVI/HDMI/Displayport cable, connect it to port 4 on this Lenovo T480, and connect external monitor #2.

Done. 3 displays.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 4
1 234 >
Up