ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 14
« First < 34567 891011 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Toronto Raptors to play in KC for 2021 season?
Deberg_1990 08:31 PM 10-27-2020

KC mayor Quinton Lucas, US Senators Roy Blunt, Pat Roberts and Jerry Moran, and US Rep Emanuel Cleaver co-signed a letter to the NBA commissioner's office and Raptors ownership making the case for Kansas City to be the temporary home, if needed.

— Sam Mellinger (@mellinger) October 27, 2020

Never thought I’d type this but Kansas City is legit pursuing an NBA team. Here’s the latest, including three irrefutable takeaways: https://t.co/ZrkvFqUE6F

— Sam Mellinger (@mellinger) October 27, 2020

[Reply]
RetiredSeniorChief 01:10 PM 10-28-2020
I thought that whole League was moving to China.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 01:17 PM 10-28-2020
Do not expect this to work out favorable for KC and then the locals that become fans.
[Reply]
-King- 02:12 PM 10-28-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
Do not expect this to work out favorable for KC and then the locals that become fans.
Worked for OKC when the Hornets had to play there. If KC has strong local ratings comparatively to other markets our size then we'd shoot in front of even Seattle for the next expansion/moving team.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 02:24 PM 10-28-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
We probably would have had a shot had the entire Golden State Warrior team not got hurt in the 2019 NBA Finals. Now Toronto suddenly cares about the team more than they did prior to 2019.
The Raptors have sold out nearly every game for over 6 years now (not just since the championship), are as popular as ever in Canada, and are one of the prime assets of MLSE (the sports media conglomerate that owns the team). They're not going anywhere permanently.
[Reply]
dirk digler 02:27 PM 10-28-2020
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Harden was one of my favorite players when he was in OKC. I can't watch him now.
I don't mind him when he does his awesome step back 3 but his constant flopping while driving to the basket gets old. So yeah I am not a fan either anymore.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 02:27 PM 10-28-2020
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
I would rather watch KU play Iowa St than Lebrons Lakers play the Warriors TBH.
That's pretty strange.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 02:28 PM 10-28-2020
Doesn't "our" mayor have better fucking things to do than to pander on local radio about a one year pro franchise rental?
[Reply]
Mr_Tomahawk 02:32 PM 10-28-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Doesn't "our" mayor have better ****ing things to do than to pander on local radio about a one year pro franchise rental?
Be more angry.
[Reply]
srvy 02:34 PM 10-28-2020
Doesn't "our" mayor have better fucking things to do than to pander on local radio about a one year pro franchise rental?
Not really! The City Council are the true power brokers at City Hall.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:58 PM 10-28-2020
Originally Posted by tatorhog:
I can't argue with the last part at all. I've only been to one NBA game in my life, and it was an expo game at that. Back when I was in HS and thought I had some game (I mean, I did have some very very light interest from some CC's lol) so when the Lakers and Cavs played at Kemper, Dad took me. We had pretty good seats, 7 or 8 rows off the court.

I can still remember being blown away at how big Vlade Divac was. And he was doing these crazy ass passes under the rim. Cedric Ceballos had a pretty good dunk on our end, but being 17 I still had this halfassed thought that if I worked hard enough I could at least aim for that. The reason? The Cavs had Bob Sura, who was this small-ish white guard with a giant knee brace on. He was clanging threes off the back iron in warm ups and didn't look like anything.

It gave me hope.

Then they put him in, and while on D, he steals the ball and flies down the court like he had a rocket up his ass and threw down the biggest dunk of the night. It was at that exact moment, I knew I had better learn to study harder because athletics were not in my future. lol
There's nothing like seeing an NBA game at floor level to realize that you and your buddies are never going to make it as professional athletes.

:-)

The athleticism is astounding and just as Rainman said earlier, I don't think that I'm of the same species as those guys. Their bodies are nothing at all like mine.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:01 PM 10-28-2020
In a "normal" year, the impact to the KC economy would be significant.

IF the Raptors play in KC for the 2021 season and IF there's a great response via TV ratings and/or attendance, KC would shoot to the top of the list, next to Seattle, in terms of an expansion team.

Plus, KC would finally be a 4 sport town again, which would raise its profile nationwide.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Mahomes becomes part of that ownership group, too.
[Reply]
Mama Hip Rockets 03:13 PM 10-28-2020
Originally Posted by srvy:
The NBA isn't much different a game than 40 years ago when I went to Kings games.
You obviously haven't seen the shorts.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 03:15 PM 10-28-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
In a "normal" year, the impact to the KC economy would be significant.

IF the Raptors play in KC for the 2021 season and IF there's a great response via TV ratings and/or attendance, KC would shoot to the top of the list, next to Seattle, in terms of an expansion team.

Plus, KC would finally be a 4 sport town again, which would raise its profile nationwide.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Mahomes becomes part of that ownership group, too.
I had strenuous doubts that Kansas City could support a fourth professional team before the current shitshow.

Without disagreeing with your thesis that the NBA game is much more enjoyable to watch vs the college game, you can't deny that the college basketball as a collective (but namely KU's team) is already the "fourth" professional franchise.. which further assumes you're putting Sporting above KU.

The people here flat out aren't wealthy enough to that many franchises and the downtown core is losing -not gaining- the businesses who are the sources of luxury box receipts.

And it's going to be years, if ever, where typical "asses in the seats" revenue comes close to its heyday considering the (most likely permanent) restrictions on indoor mass gatherings.
[Reply]
BWillie 03:39 PM 10-28-2020
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
The Raptors have sold out nearly every game for over 6 years now (not just since the championship), are as popular as ever in Canada, and are one of the prime assets of MLSE (the sports media conglomerate that owns the team). They're not going anywhere permanently.
Oh, I agree. KC has no chance. Not really a chance before 2019, but it's cemented in stone in Toronto for a long long time.

Kansas City should try to poach the Grizz or the Wolves.
[Reply]
scho63 03:57 PM 10-28-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Man, if this happens, you guys will fucking FREAK THE FUCK OUT when you see LIVE NBA games.

There's just nothing like it in all of sports.

TV does not translate the NBA at all.
WRONG! :-)

Live NHL Hockey is the biggest change and most dramatic going from TV to in-person.

[Reply]
Page 7 of 14
« First < 34567 891011 > Last »
Up