ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 25 of 26
« First < 152122232425 26 >
Media Center>Megadeth > Metallica
Dayze 11:51 PM 01-26-2014
To start off:
I'm a HUGE Metallica fan. In fact my first 5 years of playing electric guitar was solely based on Metallica. I started off playing Bluegrass guitar with my dad, even though my soul wasn't bluegrass.

My first exposure to Metallica was hearing "Nothing Else Matters" on MTV before school waiting for my buddy to pick me up for school. I asked my brother if he had ever heard of them, and of course he had. He handed me a tape that had zero information of it. in that all the 'font' (for lack of a better word) was gone. It was a simple 'blank" tape. It was weathered, and the only thing I could determine that it was a Metallica tape was simply my brother's word. It was Master of Puppets Within 4 weeks, I had owned everything of Metallica and had thrown bluegrass by the wayside.

Long loving Metallica fan for years; devoted. Having heard Megadeth and loving a few of their songs, I was still committed to Metallica. However, years later, I've discovered that I may have been premature in my categorization of music.

Years had passed since I had really 'listened' to Megadeth. Years, as in 10+. Then, I stumbled upon a Megadeth record. While it escapes my memory at this point, the collective memory of the tunes has lead me to the belief that Megadeth is better than Metalica.

While some, to what degree I don't know, may have always held this belief, the discovery of Megadeth is a new one for me. After listening to many records, Im beginning to feel more confident in saying that Megadeth is better. Obviously, it's subjective.

Metallica's "Black" Album is equivalent to Pink Floy'd "The Wall" in terms of impact. However, Megadeth's "Symphony of Destruction", has been severely over-shadowed by the 'Black" album of Metallica. Subsequently, as it had been up to that point, Megadeth had fallen by the wayside. "Symphony of Destructions' release around the same time, was over-shadowed by the Black album.

After what was a universal success of the Black album, Megadeth seemed to finally have received the kill shot. But, if we are to look at the records and time frame comparatively, I think Megadeth got the short end of the stick.

Since then, Megadeth has sustained their status despite radio and marketing support. I've listened to several Megadeth albums/tunes from the "Black" album going forward, and I must say they are not getting the credit that is due. In some aspects, they blow Metallica out of the water. To be honest, they are quickly surpassing Metallica.

I've always been a huge fan of Megadeth since the Mechanix type songs. But since Peace Sells Who's Buying album, Megadeth has gotten the shaft. By a LONG shot.

TLDR....but oh well.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 08:54 AM 05-17-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
The most I've paid recently for a ticket is $40.

Most of the shows I go to are $15 and under. I love small venues and fringe bands.
Getting to see Gojira at the Cotillion in Wichita for $29/ticket this coming October. Bargain.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:56 AM 05-17-2021
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
Getting to see Gojira at the Cotillion in Wichita for $29/ticket this coming October. Bargain.
Yep, that's a great price.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 03:22 PM 05-24-2021
Ellefson out with Megadeth

pic.twitter.com/ioVveK1UXp

— Megadeth (@Megadeth) May 24, 2021

[Reply]
PurpleJesus28 03:31 PM 05-24-2021
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Ellefson out with Megadeth

Thats what always bugged me about Megadeth,always changing lineups.And no Ellefson either ? He seems like a good dude and most likely never treated very well by Mustaine.And slightly OT but i see Queensryche is touring,but with no Tate,Degarmo and Rockenfield? It might as well be a cover band at this point.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:40 PM 05-24-2021
Originally Posted by PurpleJesus28:
And no Ellefson either? He seems like a good dude and most likely never treated very well by Mustaine.
So much fail in your post.

Ellefson was Facetiming while masturbating with a 19 year old, who then shared the video with the internet.

Ellefson, who is a minister, has a wife and several children, including a 22 year old daughter that was in the room next to him while he was jerking it to the 19 year old on the other end of the video chat.

There are unsubstantiated rumors at this point that he was trying to get underage girls, as young as 13, to masturbate with him on Instagram, which left Mustaine with no other options than to fire him from the band.
[Reply]
PurpleJesus28 03:49 PM 05-24-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:

Ellefson was Facetiming while masturbating with a 19 year old, who then shared the video with the internet.

Ellefson, who is a minister, has a wife and several children, including a 22 year old daughter that was in the room next to him while he was jerking it to the 19 year old on the other end of the video chat.

There are unsubstantiated rumors at this point that he was trying to get underage girls, as young as 13, to masturbate with him on Instagram, which left Mustaine with no other options than to fire him from the band.
Ok i guess i've been out of the loop,i didnt know any of that about Ellefson.Forgive me,i know not,i wont speak in this thread anymore.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:57 PM 05-24-2021
Originally Posted by PurpleJesus28:
Ok i guess i've been out of the loop,i didnt know any of that about Ellefson.Forgive me,i know not,i wont speak in this thread anymore.
Queenryche has been broken up for nearly a decade.

Rockenfeld left 5 years ago, DeGarmo's been a private airline pilot for nearly 2 decades and Geoff Tate was fired in 2012.
[Reply]
PurpleJesus28 04:00 PM 05-24-2021

Rockenfeld left 5 years ago, DeGarmo's been a private airline pilot for nearly 2 decades and Geoff Tate was fired in 2012.
Right,i guess somebody will still go see them,whats left of them,but that was pretty much my 3 favorite guys in that group.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 04:15 PM 05-24-2021

Wow. I had heard their were some issues. But damn. Good riddance then.
[Reply]
Bowser 05:29 PM 05-24-2021
Originally Posted by Dayze:
man, my days of spending north of $100 for a ticket to see a live band are over .
We went to Crue Fest a while back, and while Godsmack was great opening for them, Crue sucked so much shit. all of us stood there in our spots/seats, just looking at each other like".....WTF is this". It was awful. Fast forward a few years later, and we dropped good money to see GNR w/ Axl; knowing it was only Axl from the original lineup. My god...it was awful. It was ALL Axl and kick drum. you couldn't even hear any of the guitars, no bass..... so bad.

wife and I just went to the lobby of the Midland Theater and hung out, had some beers waiting for it to end and the rest of our group to come out. was so bad I couldn't even bring myself to sit through it.
I think I was at both those shows, lol. Godsmack came out and tore it up (their sound is made for live shows), and then Cruw came out and played the entirety of the Dr. Feelgood album for its 20th (25th?) anniversary. They were ok, but you can't follow a fierce live show with Dr. Feelgood. And that GnR show was adisaster. They started like 2 hours late iirc, and everything was so freaking loud it just ruined the show. Ha, memories.

The Queensryche version with Tod LaTorre is actually really good if you get the chance to see them. He sounds identical to Tate circa 1986, and they play all the older harder stuff because of it. Kind of cool to hear those memory hole songs again.
[Reply]
htismaqe 05:53 PM 05-24-2021

Yeah, David has some issues he needs to sort out. Cutting him from the band was the right thing to do, for his own sake.

It's sad, I've actually worked with him on some ministry stuff as part of a metal group I'm in. It's always tough when these guys get exposed because nobody remembers that they're people with faults, just like everybody else.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:27 PM 05-24-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Yeah, David has some issues he needs to sort out. Cutting him from the band was the right thing to do, for his own sake.

It's sad, I've actually worked with him on some ministry stuff as part of a metal group I'm in. It's always tough when these guys get exposed because nobody remembers that they're people with faults, just like everybody else.
Considering the climate today, Mustaine did not have a choice of whether or not to fire him because Megadeth has a new album coming out soon.

Keeping Ellefson would have caused a serious amount of backlash, which would have affected ticket and album sales.

After DM's bout with cancer, the guy is ready to hit the road and prove that he's still got it.

The last thing he needs is this nonsense hanging over everything.
[Reply]
Dayze 06:32 PM 05-24-2021
Originally Posted by Bowser:
I think I was at both those shows, lol. Godsmack came out and tore it up (their sound is made for live shows), and then Cruw came out and played the entirety of the Dr. Feelgood album for its 20th (25th?) anniversary. They were ok, but you can't follow a fierce live show with Dr. Feelgood. And that GnR show was adisaster. They started like 2 hours late iirc, and everything was so freaking loud it just ruined the show. Ha, memories.

The Queensryche version with Tod LaTorre is actually really good if you get the chance to see them. He sounds identical to Tate circa 1986, and they play all the older harder stuff because of it. Kind of cool to hear those memory hole songs again.

Yep; probably. It's been while, but that sounds about right. And I wasn't even into Godsmack at the time per se, but man... that just killed it. Was like Watching Mahomes for a few hours play football, then in the 2nd half Brodie Croyle gets the start.
[Reply]
Dayze 06:35 PM 05-24-2021
holy shit!

didn't realize that stuff about Ellefson / getting booted.

Jesus.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:17 AM 05-25-2021
Considering the climate today, Mustaine did not have a choice of whether or not to fire him because Megadeth has a new album coming out soon.

Keeping Ellefson would have caused a serious amount of backlash, which would have affected ticket and album sales.

After DM's bout with cancer, the guy is ready to hit the road and prove that he's still got it.

The last thing he needs is this nonsense hanging over everything.
Yep. And the band will take a double hit. It's not only the cancel culture but the perception of hypocrisy amongst the other side of the fanbase. Ellefson isn't just a pastor, he is (was) an outspoken Christian artist. He's written stuff for some of our books. There was no way to keep David, the backlash would come hard from nearly every direction. There was no other choice.
[Reply]
Page 25 of 26
« First < 152122232425 26 >
Up