ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 14
« First < 56789 10111213 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Stand Up Comedy
58-4ever 08:07 PM 12-11-2013
So, I've done a lot of thinking about this "art form"... I have a lot of favorites. Growing up, my dad had a traveling job. I would steal his cassette tapes of various comedians and I instantly fell in love with that whole era of comedy. I grew up listening to Carlin, Cosby, and Pryor. Over the years, my taste for comedy has evolved quite a bit. If I had to list a top 5 (current guys/girls) it would include, no certain order:

1) Chappelle
2) Louis CK
3) Kevin Hart
4) Joe Rogan
5) Joey Diaz

I know this has been discussed before, so the repost police can suck a dick.
[Reply]
BigMeatballDave 10:48 AM 09-10-2014
Hannibal Burress is one of my favorites.
[Reply]
lcarus 10:50 AM 09-10-2014
Am I the only person who likes Bill Hicks AND Denis Leary? I know Leary gets a ton of shit for rippin off Hicks. But I still like No Cure For Cancer and Lock N Load. It's different enough from Hicks material that I can enjoy it as well.
[Reply]
Dayze 10:51 AM 09-10-2014
He told a story about a time long ago when Larry the Cable guy was an unknown....when the comedians would go out to eat after their sets....Larry would pull out his ball sack through the leg of his shorts, hold it down with his thumb and raise himself up a bit off of the chair, then tell everyone at the table "dang.. I sat in some gum". Getting everyone to look etc.
[Reply]
lcarus 10:53 AM 09-10-2014
Originally Posted by Dayze:
He told a story about a time long ago when Larry the Cable guy was an unknown....when the comedians would go out to eat after their sets....Larry would pull out his ball sack through the leg of his shorts, hold it down with his thumb and raise himself up a bit off of the chair, then tell everyone at the table "dang.. I sat in some gum". Getting everyone to look etc.
Haha. Gross but kinda funny.
[Reply]
Dayze 10:55 AM 09-10-2014
I was probably 23 and I mentioned to him my wife and I were going to the show. He got us a great spot (in for free) and got to hang for a long Tims after the show. Holy shit...being back there with a group of comedians was pure fucking entertainment.
[Reply]
lcarus 10:59 AM 09-10-2014
I was probably 23 and I mentioned to him my wife and I were going to the show. He got us a great spot (in for free) and got to hang for a long Tims after the show. Holy shit...being back there with a group of comedians was pure fucking entertainment.
I'd have loved that. I really like seeing shows and interviews about comedian life. The one thing people have told me over and over that I should do is standup comedy or comedy writing. Unfortunately it's just a terrible fit for me because I have stage fright somewhat and I really don't think I'd like the entertainment biz. But I always enjoy hearing stories about comedians lives. Going all over the world on tour sounds like a blast.
[Reply]
Dayze 11:03 AM 09-10-2014
Me too. I've been told the same. The comedian I mentioned, James Johann started doing open mic nights at Stanford's when he was 16 I believe. Or 17. He was still in high school I know that. Its also funny so see someone you know do their "act" ...in his case its a total 180 from the real person. I wish James had more stuff on you tube, but there's some stuff out there. His "schtick" is being a self proclaimed "Rural Genius". His radio segments show case his writing IMO.
[Reply]
blaise 11:04 AM 09-10-2014
Originally Posted by BigMeatballDave:
Hannibal Burress is one of my favorites.
He's funny. The Eric Andre show makes me laugh so hard sometimes that I cry.
[Reply]
lcarus 11:05 AM 09-10-2014
Me too. I've been told the same. The comedian I mentioned, James Johann started doing open mic nights at Stanford's when he was 16 I believe. Or 17. He was still in high school I know that. Its also funny so see someone you know do their "act" ...in his case its a total 180 from the real person. I wish James had more stuff on you tube, but there's some stuff out there. His "schtick" is being a self proclaimed "Rural Genius". His radio segments show case his writing IMO.
Good for him. I respect anyone with the balls to put an act together and go attempt it in public. It takes a lot of courage.
[Reply]
Dayze 11:06 AM 09-10-2014
No shit right there. Don't think I could do it.
[Reply]
Dayze 11:07 AM 09-10-2014
I think James is probably 42 now. Its been his "job" ever since. He goes on like 60-90 day tours at college campuses, comedy clubs, corporate events etc. Recently he's been doing shows on cruise ships.
[Reply]
lcarus 11:08 AM 09-10-2014
I think James is probably 42 now. Its been his "job" ever since. He goes on like 60-90 day tours at college campuses, comedy clubs, corporate events etc. Recently he's been doing shows on cruise ships.
I'm curious about how much income he brings in annually from that?
[Reply]
Dayze 11:10 AM 09-10-2014
I think it varies quite a bit. But I know one yr he brought in about 250k I think. I remember it because he was mentioning how he fucked up on his taxes and ended up owing quite a bit. THis might have been the year or so he was opening for blue collar tour
[Reply]
lcarus 11:17 AM 09-10-2014
I think it varies quite a bit. But I know one yr he brought in about 250k I think. I remember it because he was mentioning how he fucked up on his taxes and ended up owing quite a bit. THis might have been the year or so he was opening for blue collar tour
250k? That's about what I've made in the last 8 years altogether lol.
[Reply]
Dayze 11:20 AM 09-10-2014
Lol. You and me both. I think it definitely fluctuates quite a bit. Its pretty consistent though when college tours or the like pop up. He does these nearly every yr. Sometime twice. Add in a few cruises etc and he gets by pretty well.
[Reply]
Page 9 of 14
« First < 56789 10111213 > Last »
Up