ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 12 of 14
« First < 289101112 1314 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Stand Up Comedy
58-4ever 08:07 PM 12-11-2013
So, I've done a lot of thinking about this "art form"... I have a lot of favorites. Growing up, my dad had a traveling job. I would steal his cassette tapes of various comedians and I instantly fell in love with that whole era of comedy. I grew up listening to Carlin, Cosby, and Pryor. Over the years, my taste for comedy has evolved quite a bit. If I had to list a top 5 (current guys/girls) it would include, no certain order:

1) Chappelle
2) Louis CK
3) Kevin Hart
4) Joe Rogan
5) Joey Diaz

I know this has been discussed before, so the repost police can suck a dick.
[Reply]
tatorhog 03:10 PM 05-17-2021
Kathleen Madigan was a good show, as was Rodney Carrington.

I was disappointed by Louis Black, but I'm guessing he wasn't really in the mood to bring his A-game to Salina, KS.

Jim Breuer was a suprisingly good show as well.
[Reply]
penchief 04:31 PM 05-17-2021
Chapelle is amazing. Probably the best ever at keeping it real while simultaneously being laugh out loud funny. In the same league as Pryor when it comes to that. The Chapelle Show was pure genius.

The next guy on my list is Norm McDonald.
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 06:51 PM 05-17-2021
Originally Posted by Sorce:
We came across Nate Bargatze's specials on netflix and I enjoyed both.
Haven't heard this kind of dry sense of humor since Bob Newhart. Nate is great !!

Love Sebastian Maniscalco and Christopher Titus as well.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 11:42 AM 09-06-2022
For those who may have heard of him but never really saw anything of his, I noticed Comedy Central put Mitch Hedberg's big 'name-making' special on YT for free streaming recently

[Reply]
Rain Man 11:55 AM 09-06-2022
I fell out of keeping up with the standup game many years ago. I want to start listening again and identifying people that I like. I just haven't done it due to other priorities.

One thing that mystifies me about standup comedy is when people talk about stealing jokes or plagiarizing jokes. Obviously you don't want people stealing original work, but it seems like it would be impossible to not accidentally have two people come up with the same joke independently. How does a comic even know that some other comic hasn't made the same joke? There are a million of them out there.
[Reply]
scho63 12:04 PM 09-06-2022
I keep trying to watch female comedians and they all suck. Nikki Glaser spends all her time talking sex and stupid shit that is so overdone. Her and Whitney Cummings try to outdo themselves being dirty for just beng dirty. They both suck.

No female comedians I know can tell funny life stories. Sarah Silverman comes close.

Ellen DeGeneres and Wanda Sykes are the last great female standups.

Does anyone know a single FUNNY one?
[Reply]
SD15 12:06 PM 09-06-2022
Sebastian Maniscalco
[Reply]
Shag 12:11 PM 09-06-2022
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
For those who may have heard of him but never really saw anything of his, I noticed Comedy Central put Mitch Hedberg's big 'name-making' special on YT for free streaming recently

One of the all time greats, and absolutely worth a watch.
[Reply]
POND_OF_RED 12:22 PM 09-06-2022
Originally Posted by scho63:
I keep trying to watch female comedians and they all suck. Nikki Glaser spends all her time talking sex and stupid shit that is so overdone. Her and Whitney Cummings try to outdo themselves being dirty for just beng dirty. They both suck.

No female comedians I know can tell funny life stories. Sarah Silverman comes close.

I love Michelle Wolf. I also find it funny that someone who openly admits on a football forum to paying for hookers gets a little uncomfortable when women talk about sex. That’s comedy gold in itself.
[Reply]
scho63 12:57 PM 09-06-2022
Originally Posted by POND_OF_RED:

I love Michelle Wolf. I also find it funny that someone who openly admits on a football forum to paying for hookers gets a little uncomfortable when women talk about sex. That’s comedy gold in itself.
That's a stupid comment. I don't get uncomfortable with any sex talk, I just expect it to be funny when delivered from a comedian. :-)
[Reply]
myselff77 01:16 PM 09-06-2022

Iliza Shlesinger was funny when she first getting national attention after winning Last Comic Standing. Seemed like she took a step back or ran out of jokes after releasing a few comedy specials. I haven't seen anything of hers lately to see if she's rebounded at all or not.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 02:34 PM 09-06-2022
Being funny in standup is a niche and very particular way of being funny.

It's one person commandeering the attention of the entire audience to consume their creative output with no feedback except laughter.

I still find a good deal of standup enjoyable, but it's increasingly, exponentially increasingly, rare that I find it 'funny.'

Sometimes it's to the point where I search my memory to find and think back on sets I did actually find funny, as opposed to interesting and amusing.

They say of Lorne Michaels that he rarely if ever laughs at anything, which might strike you as odd from the premiere gatekeeper of comedy for half a century. But they also say that if he softly says 'that's funny' in an audition, you likely have the next Ferrell, Belushi, or Hartman on your hands. Since I heard that, I find that's how I actually assess standup most of the time, . . . Maybe 2-3 times a decade a standup set will ACTUALLY make me laugh. More that I quietly note 'that's funny, I need to remember how funny that was.'

I laugh, actually laugh, a lot more at improv or conversation like you find on SuperEgo, Comedy Bang-Bang, Teacher's Lounge or Conan Needs a Friend, than I do with standup these days, and there are plenty of solid contributors in those arenas.

Tina Fey, Andrea Savage, and Jessi Klein are great writers with a great ear for dialogue and absurdity.

Mary Holland, Julie Klausner, Janet Varney, Nicole Byer, Nicole Parker, Lauren Lapkis, . . . there are TONS of funny conversationalists and improv-ers out there,

In standup specifically, Ali Wong, Esther Povitski, Michelle Wolf, Taylor Tomlinson, and occasionally Fortune Feimster seem to me the current best at 'the craft.' That is focusing on the timing and phrasing calculated to elicit laughs. . . ie, and working travelling live standup like one would expect when going to the local Chuckle Hut for an evening of laughs.
[Reply]
Pepe Silvia 02:38 PM 09-06-2022
Never been a big stand up guy other than Carlin or Burr. However there was a couple acts by John Leguizamo that I enjoyed. Dana Gould was pretty good the one time I watched him HBO as well.
[Reply]
scho63 03:14 PM 09-06-2022
Tom Segura is really good these days
[Reply]
HC_Chief 03:17 PM 09-06-2022

Kathleen Madigan
[Reply]
Page 12 of 14
« First < 289101112 1314 >
Up