ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Draftubators, next year the fun begins!
staylor26 01:13 PM 05-02-2021
I personally loved this draft, but of course LB, IOL, TE2 etc. picks aren’t “sexy”.

Well we’ve officially completely rebuilt the OL and LB corps for the foreseeable future, so next year I expect DE, WR, and DB to be the focal point.

I’m honestly as excited as I’ve ever been about the following year’s draft. This is going to be fun.
[Reply]
Direckshun 01:30 PM 05-02-2021
The whole offseason next year is going to be bananas.

The Chiefs have the fewest players under contract in 2022 in the NFL — and I’m *including* Brown and Mathieu in that.

So they’re going to have to get busy with their own FAs, including extending Hill, franchising Brown, and making calculated decisions on Kyle Long, Mike Remmers, all our RBs except CEH, Reed, Nnadi, and Ward, and weigh cutting Hitchens and Clark.

They’ll need to be targeted and smart/patient in FA, and then they’ll need to crush the draft and UDFA.

I think we’re looking at a wholesale rebuild of the passrush in 2022. Book up on your DEs and DTs now, folks.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 01:43 PM 05-02-2021
Yep.

I expect Clark will be gone. I expect Hitchens will be gone. I expect that Mathieu will be extended, and Reed may be too if the season goes well for him. I expect veteran OL on one years deals are likely gone as long as the young'uns are coming along.

We'll need to continue drafting corners. DE will be a need, unless we got extremely lucky in this draft.

A box safety/Sorensen guy. WR, o-line depth.

Might be time for a mid-round developmental back-up QB. Andy's always had good luck flipping those guys for higher picks down the road.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 01:59 PM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Yep.

I expect Clark will be gone. I expect Hitchens will be gone. I expect that Mathieu will be extended, and Reed may be too if the season goes well for him. I expect veteran OL on one years deals are likely gone as long as the young'uns are coming along.

We'll need to continue drafting corners. DE will be a need, unless we got extremely lucky in this draft.

A box safety/Sorensen guy. WR, o-line depth.

Might be time for a mid-round developmental back-up QB. Andy's always had good luck flipping those guys for higher picks down the road.
I actually really like Easton Stick as a developmental QB on the Chargers. Guys like that I would trade for when they change OCs, philosophy.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 03:08 PM 05-02-2021
Would love to get Minshew to back up Pat if the Jags cut him loose next year.
[Reply]
Dante84 04:30 PM 05-02-2021
Next year should be fun. I think we will take the best Defensive player that falls to us in the first; CB or Edge most likely.

I also expect Brett to go just as HAM on something next year as he did on OL this offseason, and that could be the WR room: Pringle & DRob will probably phase out and Hardman could be heading into his final year depending on if he and Pat finally get it together.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:16 PM 05-02-2021
I somewhat expect the Chiefs to approach the wide receiver position in 2022 the same way they've addressed the offensive line in 2021 and the defensive line in 2019.

Hardman is the only guy under contract next season, which is scary.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 12:55 PM 05-03-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I somewhat expect the Chiefs to approach the wide receiver position in 2022 the same way they've addressed the offensive line in 2021 and the defensive line in 2019.

Hill is under contract for 2022, Hardman would be on year 4.

Ideal situation is Hardman takes a step forward in Year 3 with normal offseason, another year in the playbook, and an offseason dedicating to honing his craft. He has something to prove. If he rises to the challenge, it changes the outlook a lot.

The free agent class in 2022 should be good, also.
[Reply]
RunKC 06:02 PM 05-05-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:

Do you think Veach extends Tyreek? I think there’s a high chance of that to lower his last year on his current deal ($20 million) and bc he’ll only be 28 after this season is over.
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 06:06 PM 05-05-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Do you think Veach extends Tyreek? I think there’s a high chance of that to lower his last year on his current deal ($20 million) and bc he’ll only be 28 after this season is over.
That’s a no brainer you don’t want anybody else having Tyreek Hill and he’s only 28.
[Reply]
BossChief 01:04 PM 05-07-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Tyreek will get a 3 year extension next offseason for the highest AAV for a WR in history.

And be worth every penny.
[Reply]
kccrow 07:34 PM 05-07-2021
Meh.

I'd stop thinking about Clark being gone, in all likelihood. If Veach would have taken an ER high this year, maybe, but the free-agent class is going to be relative shit and I'm wholeheartedly against trading assets again for a "proven" commodity.

TJ Watt is guaranteed to get the franchise tag next year. That pretty much leaves Derek Barnett, Emmanuel Ogbah (part II!), and Sam Hubbard, who would be good additions to having Clark but certainly not replacement material. Unless, of course, you prefer he go the ancient relic route and get some 33-year-old players.

The same pretty well goes on the CB market. I doubt the Saints are letting Marshon Lattimore go anywhere, nor the Patriots with J.C. Jackson. I have my doubts Carlton Davis falls through either but at least give him a much higher probability than Lattimore and Jackson. That leaves some interesting middling prospects like Tre Herndon, Mike Hughes, Dante Jackson, Isaiah Oliver, Eli Apple, etc. I'm not going to get excited over the group but if Sneed steps up as a #1 then I'll be a little less concerned over those options.

The most unfortunate thing is that next year's classes in the draft at those two positions look to be equally uninspiring. I guess we'll see what shakes out with underclassman and the such.

This was the year the Chiefs could have easily addressed ER and CB early in the draft to help take pressure off next offseason. Even though I like the Chiefs' picks, it does leave some disappointment. I'd probably be jumping up and down alot higher right now with Boogie Basham at LDE and Paulson Adebo at CB.

I'm not overly concerned about much of the rest of the roster. We'll need WRs by the half dozen but at least FA looks like it will have options and the draft should be strong again.
[Reply]
kccrow 09:48 AM 05-15-2021
I was just thinking to put Romeo Doubs on the WR list for next year. Kid has great release quickness and was really productive at Nevada the past few years.
[Reply]
staylor26 11:15 AM 05-15-2021
Originally Posted by kccrow:
I was just thinking to put Romeo Doubs on the WR list for next year. Kid has great release quickness and was really productive at Nevada the past few years.
Yea, Doubs is a stud. Love the combination of length and speed/quickness.
[Reply]
Up