ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Northman Final Mock
Chief Northman 12:34 AM 04-29-2021
It’s tough enough to forecast what the Chiefs will do at the best of times, but given that they will not be picking until the late second round makes things even more of a crapshoot. Here’s my best guess as to what I think the Chiefs might do based on the roster as it is currently constructed:

2) 58. Elijah Molden, DB, Washington
- I’ve seen Molden mocked from anywhere between the mid-second round to the mid-3rd round throughout the pre-draft process. Washington has produced some stellar d-backs over the past number of years and teams will love Molden’s instincts, aggressiveness, and intangibles. He will likely be a slot corner at the next level but can also play some safety. While his size may be a concern, his willingness to engage in physical play is not. Molden would allow the Chiefs to move Sneed to the outside and bolster an already solid secondary. We all know his pro comparison is Tyrann Mathieu so how could one argue with this pick? Here is hoping to his availability when KC gets on the clock.

2) 63. Rashad Weaver, DE, Pitt
- I feel Weaver is a bit of a forgotten man in this draft build up. I also believe many of the touted edge prospects will already be off the board by this point. While some might see Weaver as a reach at the bottom of the second round, he and Peyton Turner garnered the highest pressure rate per snap in college football last year. He has the requisite length and physical profile desired by Spagnuolo, and he boasts great production in his years at Pitt when he was not injured. While not a twitchy athlete, Weaver uses his length and great technique to be a disciplined edge setter that has great power and enough bend to affect the passer. He is a far more consistent player than his counterpart Patrick Jones II, and projects to be a solid pro.

4) 144. Ihmir Smith-Marsette, Iowa
Brett Veach indicated that he is content with the receiver group right now, and this leads me to believe the team is not pegged to have to draft an “X” receiver like most speculate just because of the departure of Sammy Watkins. While Smith-Marsette doesn’t fit an X receiver profile perfectly, he can definitely play on the outside, but also as a big slot. He has game breaking ability with his speed and has good hands with some high point catch ability. While he is slender of frame, he should be able to hold up and be another speed weapon at the next level. This guy’s stock should be higher but Iowa struggled to get him the ball consistently.

5) 175. Monty Rice, ILB, Georgia
- Rice is a savvy, instinctual, run-and-hit linebacker. He has a knack for making plays on the ball and is a competent Blitzer. While Rice needs to improve his take-on ability, the fact that he can diagnose plays quickly helps him avoid getting caught up in the wash. He will not wow anybody in coverage, but is respectable in his pursuit and effort. He can compete for a rotational spot in the linebacker deployment, but at worst should make a great special-teams player to start.

5) 181. Elijah Mitchell, RB, Louisiana
- Mitchell has had a productive career with the Ragin’ Cajuns, and he is a jack of all trades but master of none. He fits the Veach profile for a running back in his size at 5’11” and 221 pounds. Mitchell is not the shiftiest or most elusive back, but he is a good off tackle runner and can accelerate after making his initial cut and power his way down field. He is Respectable in the passing game but it is not his calling card. He is a decent to good Redzone runner and has enough patience to allow blocks to develop in front of him and has a great mentality of finishing his runs with physicality. One concern with Mitchell is his age, as he is a graduating senior and well into his 23rd year.

6) 207. Tre McKitty, TE, Georgia
- McKitty is a great athlete who might develop into a solid pass catching option opposite of Travis Kelce in Reid’s offense. While he needs to refine his route running and blocking, his athleticism jumps out on tape. McKitty can wall off defenders with his body and has good hands, although he tends to body catch too often. McKitty is a physical mismatch for defenses as he has a lot of athleticism in that 6’5” frame.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 06:43 AM 04-29-2021
I could live with that. I know absolutely nothing about Mitchell though.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:09 AM 04-29-2021
Check out what I just posted.

I'm leaning towards Molden being the pick at #58. I think that's the guy they're going to take.
[Reply]
kccrow 08:21 AM 04-29-2021
Going to be honest about 2 things with Molden.

1. He's a Honey Badger clone. You send a pretty clear message to him by drafting Molden, IMO. Not that the reward couldnt' be great in 2021 but it's a replacement pick in my eyes.

2. Tennessee seems to value him quite a bit, as do a few others that pick ahead of us, and I really don't think he's there at 58. The only thing that may put him in KC's lap is a team being scared of that 40 time. That said, I still don't think he's there. I'm not much for moving up at this point.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:24 AM 04-29-2021
Originally Posted by kccrow:
Going to be honest about 2 things with Molden.

1. He's a Honey Badger clone. You send a pretty clear message to him by drafting Molden, IMO. Not that the reward couldnt' be great in 2021 but it's a replacement pick in my eyes.

2. Tennessee seems to value him quite a bit, as do a few others that pick ahead of us, and I really don't think he's there at 58. The only thing that may put him in KC's lap is a team being scared of that 40 time. That said, I still don't think he's there. I'm not much for moving up at this point.
I ran 75 mocks this morning on 3 different sites, he's there every time. FWIW. I know it's not 100% accurate.
[Reply]
kccrow 08:34 AM 04-29-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I ran 75 mocks this morning on 3 different sites, he's there every time. FWIW. I know it's not 100% accurate.
He could be, for sure. Huddle Report released their final value board this morning and they have him at 64. Tyrann went at 69.

That said, Tyrann has proven to be an ultimate chess piece in this league with what he can do as that hybrid SS/NB role and I'd have to think more teams would take that higher than pick 69 if given the opportunity, and I think Molden is that opportunity far more so than any other player I've seen in a hot minute.

I really like Molden and wouldn't be upset in the least if he's there and he's the pick. Like I said in staylor's mock, I'd laud the pick if its the intent to replace Tyrann. I'd rather see an outside CB if it's not and I really like what Adebo brings to the table there.
[Reply]
The Franchise 08:41 AM 04-29-2021
I’d almost rather see a more traditional SS and an outside CB. Allow Mathieu to move around more and have depth in the backfield.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:53 AM 04-29-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
I’d almost rather see a more traditional SS and an outside CB. Allow Mathieu to move around more and have depth in the backfield.
yeah, the thing about Mathieu is that it's never been about his athletic profile; it's his instincts and intelligence. I expect that he'll play at a high level for a few years yet.

I'd rather see a Deablo or Hufuanga or Jacoby Stevens type to supplant Sorensen before I'd take another Honey Badger.
[Reply]
Chief Northman 09:26 AM 04-29-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
yeah, the thing about Mathieu is that it's never been about his athletic profile; it's his instincts and intelligence. I expect that he'll play at a high level for a few years yet.

I'd rather see a Deablo or Hufuanga or Jacoby Stevens type to supplant Sorensen before I'd take another Honey Badger.
I love Deablo and Hufanga. Problem is, round 2 is too early and bottom of round 4 is too late for these guys value-wise (unless the medicals on Hufanga are worse than anticipated). The Chiefs trying to nab the SF slot corner was a tell. They want Sneed outside.
Samuel Jr. and Aaron Robinson also make sense early for KC if available.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 11:26 AM 04-29-2021
I like Ihmir Smith-Marsette!
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:36 AM 04-29-2021
Originally Posted by Chief Northman:
I love Deablo and Hufanga. Problem is, round 2 is too early and bottom of round 4 is too late for these guys value-wise (unless the medicals on Hufanga are worse than anticipated). The Chiefs trying to nab the SF slot corner was a tell. They want Sneed outside.
Samuel Jr. and Aaron Robinson also make sense early for KC if available.
I agree.

I think the Chiefs have been leaving hints that they want a slot corner. And while Molden might be a Matthieu type, he's definitely a good slot corner that would be good value at either of those 2nd round slots.

I still think he's the pick and the other one is a WR or DE.
[Reply]
Up