Hammock Parties 01:46 PM 12-10-2007
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

*NERDGASM*

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:28 PM 05-23-2008
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Gorsh, your so smart.
Dude,

Do you understand why and how "Blue screen" and "Green screen" technology works and why?

If so, you'd understand my comment.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:36 PM 05-23-2008
Originally Posted by GOATSE:
I bet I could talk with Dane for hours. This stuff fascinates me.

Well apparently, you're the only one on this forum. But I guess that makes sense.

15 years in the Hollywood entertainment business at both Universal & Paramount (working on both lots), associating with film & television producers and directors as well as working in the music business doesn't make me nearly as qualified as those who get their information from fluff pieces and screenshots off the internet.
[Reply]
keg in kc 04:58 PM 05-23-2008
Dane is correct, of course. Green screen is by far more prevalent now, although blue is still used. Just from more recent movies, the Wachowski's used green throughout the Matrox trilogy (and Speed Racer), WETA used it for the Lord of the Rings trilogy and King Kong. 300 was a mix of blue and green, as I recall, but predominantly green. That's just off the top of my head (actually can think of a few more, Sin City, Superman Returns, and while I've read they're trying to limit how much they use, Watchmen is green as well) . Blue really isn't used all that much these days, particularly in more CG-heavy movies.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 04:58 PM 05-23-2008
Oh and Goatse,

IN older movies they used to use the rear projection effect. But thats been replaced with the green screen CGI stuff you see today.

So really, this artificial background stuff has been going on for years and years, just the technology has changed.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 05:14 PM 05-23-2008
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Oh and Goatse,

IN older movies they used to use the rear projection effect. But thats been replaced with the green screen CGI stuff you see today.

So really, this artificial background stuff has been going on for years and years, just the technology has changed.
It still ruined the movie.

Just like the Raiders' truck scene would have been ruined if it hadn't been done in reality.

By the way, what really sucks is that Indy IV was shot entirely in the United frickin' States. They didn't bother to go anywhere (unless you count Hawaii).
[Reply]
DJJasonp 09:03 PM 05-23-2008
Just got back from seeing Indy 4.

First, let me preface my comments with....we're all older now...so no Indy movie will make nearly the same impact that it did when Ford dropped the bag of sand and picked up the idol...

That said...

Even though I did enjoy Indy 4....I'm disappointed in some of the places Lucas (and Spielberg?) took this film.

As others have mentioned....the prarie dogs, the tarzan scene...the gratuitous shots to the groin....those scenes were painful.

What disappointed me the most was that in the first 3 films....even though there were some stunts that made you think "no way!"....you still thought..."well...maybe".

In this film....it is a constant barrage of stunts/situations that should be in a cartoon or anime genre. It's just not Indy.

Even though, at some points in the previous 3 films, there were supernatural themes where you had to suspend your disbelief.....you never really saw Indy performing feats that were normally reserved for super heroes.

This film really broke through that boundary......and I'm sad to say....really hurt the film.

By the way....anyone else find it very uncomfortable watching karen allen act as if she was on heavy morphine throughout the final 45 minutes of the film???
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:28 PM 05-23-2008
Originally Posted by DJJasonp:
I'm disappointed in some of the places Lucas (and Spielberg?) took this film.
George Lucas came up with the story.

He didn't write the script nor did he direct.

Spielberg, Lucas and Harrison Ford all signed off the scripts before shooting.

If the movie is a success, all three should be credited.

If the movie is a failure, all three should be blamed.

George Lucas played the smallest role of the three in ALL of the Indy films, only providing the story and producing, so he deserves the least amount of credit or blame in this instance.
[Reply]
Chiefs Pantalones 09:38 PM 05-23-2008
You guys are thinking way too hard here. It's Indiana Jones. It was an entertaining movie, as they all were.

The movies were meant to make fun of B 50s movies.

To anyone that hasn't seen it, go. Just relax and enjoy the ride, don't think, it's not rocket science...it's a movie...it's Indiana Jones.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 09:41 PM 05-23-2008
Originally Posted by Vanilla Thunder:
it's Indiana Jones.
Sure wasn't.

It wanted to be.

But it wasn't. It didn't take itself seriously. Killed it. Dead.
[Reply]
Frazod 10:56 PM 05-23-2008
Well, it looks like I'll be seeing this turd in the theater after all - the wife wants to see it.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 11:52 PM 05-23-2008
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Dude,

Do you understand why and how "Blue screen" and "Green screen" technology works and why?

If so, you'd understand my comment.
Yes, I do understand. I understand the technology, and I completely understand the reason for using green over blue. But I also know that blue is still used A LOT, and that Lucas uses blue A LOT.

I'm also beginning to understand why so many around here dislike you. You have this air about yourself that you better than everyone else and you know more than everyone else.

That's the reason I said, "Gorsh, your so smart." You see, it was an attempt to vocalize how stupid you must think I am, so I used the term "gorsh" and used improper grammar when I did not use an apostrophe in "your".

And you proved my thoughts right when you immediately went into "I know more than you" mode and got all condescending. So pardon me if I just don't give a **** anymore.

You know as well as I do that we have always had pleasant discourse, shared a few PM's, and that I've never been one to bag on you... even going so far as to ask your opinion on things (which you said you would give and never did). Why do you always have to think because you're Mr. Hollywood that your shit don't stink? Guess what... it does, just like everyone else's.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:00 AM 05-24-2008
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Yes, I do understand. I understand the technology, and I completely understand the reason for using green over blue. But I also know that blue is still used A LOT, and that Lucas uses blue A LOT.

I'm also beginning to understand why so many around here dislike you. You have this air about yourself that you better than everyone else and you know more than everyone else.

That's the reason I said, "Gorsh, your so smart." You see, it was an attempt to vocalize how stupid you must think I am, so I used the term "gorsh" and used improper grammar when I did not use an apostrophe in "your".

And you proved my thoughts right when you immediately went into "I know more than you" mode and got all condescending. So pardon me if I just don't give a **** anymore.

You know as well as I do that we have always had pleasant discourse, shared a few PM's, and that I've never been one to bag on you... even going so far as to ask your opinion on things (which you said you would give and never did). Why do you always have to think because you're Mr. Hollywood that your shit don't stink? Guess what... it does, just like everyone else's.
Whatever.

You're dead to me.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 12:07 AM 05-24-2008
Well, at least this Fire Me Boy!/DaneMcCloud feud has more drama than Indy IV.

ALL I HAVE TO DO IS SQUEEZE!
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:19 AM 05-24-2008
Originally Posted by GOATSE:
Well, at least this Fire Me Boy!/DaneMcCloud feud has more drama than Indy IV.

ALL I HAVE TO DO IS SQUEEZE!
It's not a feud.

FMB lives in South Carolina and has a "passion" for film.

Unfortunately, he's misconstrued his "passion" for someone who actually WORKS in Hollywood and WORK(ed) for two major film studios. Someone who lived it, day to day for more than a decade. Someone who worked on the Uni lot and shared office space (and elevators, meetings, etc.) with Spielberg and Dreamworks. Someone involved in day to day business with these studios at a Director (not movie director but title) level for years (I turned down Sony/BMG's offer of a VP role to go on my own).

FWIW, this is the MEDIA FORUM. I have more experience than anyone in this forum with the day-to-day dealings of Hollywood business (Ringleader probably has as much or more & TinyE certainly has a wealth of knowledge - Neither have (wisely, I might add) involved themselves in these types of discussions).

But that's okay. The only bad thing for people like you Clay is that I don't get to share really cool info (like the Commercial Producer who stopped by on Wednesday and told me that he just cut a $1.7 million dollar commercial that will never be aired) or hundreds of other stories because I'm seen as a "Know-It-All", "Show-off", "Hollywood-type".

Monikers that couldn't be further from the truth but I guess offend those outsiders who feel that they're somehow "Inside".

This somehow angers them.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 12:25 AM 05-24-2008
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
It's not a feud.

FMB lives in South Carolina and has a "passion" for film.

Unfortunately, he's misconstrued his "passion" for someone who actually WORKS in Hollywood and WORK(ed) for two major film studios. Someone who lived it, day to day for more than a decade. Someone who worked on the Uni lot and shared office space (and elevators, meetings, etc.) with Spielberg and Dreamworks. Someone involved in day to day business with these studios at a Director (not movie director but title) level for years (I turned down Sony/BMG's offer of a VP role to go on my own).

FWIW, this is the MEDIA FORUM. I have more experience than anyone in this forum with the day-to-day dealings of Hollywood business (Ringleader probably has as much or more & TinyE certainly has a wealth of knowledge - Neither have (wisely, I might add) involved themselves in these types of discussions).

But that's okay. The only bad thing for people like you Clay is that I don't get to share really cool info (like the Commercial Producer who stopped by on Wednesday and told me that he just cut a $1.7 million dollar commercial that will never be aired) or hundreds of other stories because I'm seen as a "Know-It-All", "Show-off", "Hollywood-type".

Monikers that couldn't be further from the truth but I guess offend those outsiders who feel that they're somehow "Inside".

This somehow angers them.
Dane i certainly appreciate alot of your "inside the Biz" info....

But even you can admit that you do come off at times with an "elitist vibe" that turns alot of people off. No offense..
[Reply]
Page 20 of 37
« First < 101617181920 2122232430 > Last »
Up