ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 11
« First < 45678 91011 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Perhaps an unpopular opinion - I don't like the holidays
TLO 08:09 AM 11-23-2021
This is kind of hard to talk about, and I'm not certain of the words to explain why I don't like them.

Anyone else feel the same way?
[Reply]
crayzkirk 12:29 AM 11-24-2021
I understand the negativity around the holidays. For me, it's a reminder of what I lost and a lot of the pain of losing my father at a young age is brought back at Christmas. Add the reminder of the man my mother married afterwards refusing to celebrate Christmas and it's just a bummer.

Him being a complete ass doesn't help either.

I try not to be a grinch so I just put on my happy face and get through it so I can make resolutions that I won't keep.

We get to choose what we think about so I just concentrate on the good times and work on being thankful for what I have now.
[Reply]
stevieray 12:43 AM 11-24-2021

[Reply]
eDave 11-24-2021, 01:20 AM
This message has been deleted by eDave.
ThyKingdomCome15 01:31 AM 11-24-2021
My birthday is Christmas Day. So on Christmas I don't think about others at all. It has always been the day me and Jesus share. I'm very blessed. All the other stuff doesn't matter.
[Reply]
Zebedee DuBois 09:40 AM 11-24-2021
This is kind of hard to talk about, and I'm not certain of the words to explain why I don't like this sauce made from egg yolks and lemon juice, slowly simmered and whisked over a steam bath.

.(didn't feel like making a whole new parody thread)
[Reply]
Mr. Wizard 10:27 AM 11-24-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I feel like shit about it, but my cunt sister has ruined it for me. I’m serious. You just say Christmas or Thanksgiving and I’m in a bad mood. She’s extra goddamned insufferable and nobody will call her on her shit so I just keep my distance. And naturally she has to grandstand about how much of a better everything she is than everybody else. Despite being none of those things she wants to be. And she picks fights about politics, religion, COVID, medical shit she’s all the way wrong on, how much worse her life is than anyone else. WTF ever. She’s going to pick a fight about it. And then be shocked when people push back.

It wouldn’t be so bad if it was just the holiday. But no. We have to do every waking moment for however long my brother is here for. I get away for work a lot. But it just goes in and on and on and makes me want to eat a fucking bullet. I don’t know if that’s her doing or my moms, but fuck man. Let’s do the thing on the holiday and stop by and visit my brother when It’s time. That way we don’t have to feed 20 people for a week or better. Nope. Every second of every day. With a person I can’t be around. It’s caused me some level of brain warp because I just hear one of the two and get mad.

My wife’s family treats me really pretty damn good. And they do holidays in a much more sane fashion, but it’s invariably a fiasco because there are 40 people and it’s just hard. Wife’s sister has grandkids and IMO it’s time to stop doing it with her parents and do our own thing and have her parents come to one. But that’s not happening. 40 people it is.

But yeah. I hate the holidays. I long for something I can do with a reasonable set of reasonable people and I’d go buy a rib roast or something. And try to do something special instead of just managing chaos and avoiding turmoil.
Hey, at least your home, or close and have an escape. Once I had to go to Mississippi with my mom and dad to see my sister and her new boyfriend who I think was older than my dad. We sat then we moved to the front porch and sat it got chilly so we moved inside and sat. We ate a turkey, the same turkey for 3 days, lunch and supper. It would stare at me as if it wanted to be put out of its misery.

There was no escape, finally my sisters dad, said, “we gonna have to go down to the piggly wiggly and get some cigarettes”. F it I was ready to take up smoking anyways! So, that gave me some glimmer of hope, then later, after sitting more I realized he meant tomorrow or the next day. The piggly wiggly was only 6 mikes away for fucks sake ! I could have walked there backwards and had more fun.

Finally I resorted to taking walks in the woods, which are everywhere there. I didn’t wear orange and hoped a hunter would shoot me. But, no luck. I did find one dude in a stand. He didn’t have a weapon and said he didn’t hunt he just liked to come out to the tree stand and sit. Obviously a local. I did at least have beer, but my mom looked at me funny when I cracked one open at 7:30 in the morning after having a dream about the turkey talking to me.

I asked my sisters dad what direction I should walk onetime for conversation, he said “we don’t walk in the woods out here” that was our only conversation the whole time except I once offered him a beer and my sister told me he was “dry”. I’ll say.

Finally it was time to go home and we drove 12 hours straight through. So many trees and winding two lane roads I was seasick. We never made it to the piggly wiggly and my sister tried to pawn the fest of the turkey off on us as we left but mom talked her out of it. We would drive through little towns with the shotgun houses right up to the road and everybody was sitting on the porch. Apparently it’s a contest down there.

I did get to see a chain gang and we saw a road crew painting lines on the road. Those were the highlights of my trip. When we got back to Stillwater my mom asked what I thought about the trip, I was cornered and blurted out “the turkey was good”.

So now everyone comes to my house at the farm and I am thankful I can walk out the door and scream anytime I want. Especially when my brother in law starts in on politics or the fact that he takes 2ccs of ivomec so he don’t get the covid.
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 10:31 AM 11-24-2021
Originally Posted by Zebedee DuBois:
This is kind of hard to talk about, and I'm not certain of the words to explain why I don't like this sauce made from egg yolks and lemon juice, slowly simmered and whisked over a steam bath.

.(didn't feel like making a whole new parody thread)
Hollandaise sucks ass.
[Reply]
fan4ever 12:13 PM 11-24-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I feel like shit about it, but my **** sister has ruined it for me. I’m serious. You just say Christmas or Thanksgiving and I’m in a bad mood. She’s extra goddamned insufferable and nobody will call her on her shit so I just keep my distance. And naturally she has to grandstand about how much of a better everything she is than everybody else. Despite being none of those things she wants to be. And she picks fights about politics, religion, COVID, medical shit she’s all the way wrong on, how much worse her life is than anyone else. WTF ever. She’s going to pick a fight about it. And then be shocked when people push back.
Damn. How does one bitch wield such power? Time for a family insurrection. We had a sister in law who's a lot like yours. Our parents passed away eventually so we don't have to listen to her open her ignorant obnoxious yapper anymore. One year when she was on one of her tirades I said aloud "Just for once wouldn't you like to not be the biggest idiot in the room?" Got me in trouble with my folks but it felt damn good...and the look on her face...my Christmas present that year.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 12:20 PM 11-24-2021
Fuck the holidays
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 12:33 PM 11-24-2021
I love them. It's the only time during the year I allow myself to eat like shit. No work, enjoy football, spend time w family and friends.

What's not to like?
[Reply]
Frazod 12:46 PM 11-24-2021
Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard:
Hey, at least your home, or close and have an escape. Once I had to go to Mississippi with my mom and dad to see my sister and her new boyfriend who I think was older than my dad. We sat then we moved to the front porch and sat it got chilly so we moved inside and sat. We ate a turkey, the same turkey for 3 days, lunch and supper. It would stare at me as if it wanted to be put out of its misery.

There was no escape, finally my sisters dad, said, “we gonna have to go down to the piggly wiggly and get some cigarettes”. F it I was ready to take up smoking anyways! So, that gave me some glimmer of hope, then later, after sitting more I realized he meant tomorrow or the next day. The piggly wiggly was only 6 mikes away for fucks sake ! I could have walked there backwards and had more fun.

Finally I resorted to taking walks in the woods, which are everywhere there. I didn’t wear orange and hoped a hunter would shoot me. But, no luck. I did find one dude in a stand. He didn’t have a weapon and said he didn’t hunt he just liked to come out to the tree stand and sit. Obviously a local. I did at least have beer, but my mom looked at me funny when I cracked one open at 7:30 in the morning after having a dream about the turkey talking to me.

I asked my sisters dad what direction I should walk onetime for conversation, he said “we don’t walk in the woods out here” that was our only conversation the whole time except I once offered him a beer and my sister told me he was “dry”. I’ll say.

Finally it was time to go home and we drove 12 hours straight through. So many trees and winding two lane roads I was seasick. We never made it to the piggly wiggly and my sister tried to pawn the fest of the turkey off on us as we left but mom talked her out of it. We would drive through little towns with the shotgun houses right up to the road and everybody was sitting on the porch. Apparently it’s a contest down there.

I did get to see a chain gang and we saw a road crew painting lines on the road. Those were the highlights of my trip. When we got back to Stillwater my mom asked what I thought about the trip, I was cornered and blurted out “the turkey was good”.

So now everyone comes to my house at the farm and I am thankful I can walk out the door and scream anytime I want. Especially when my brother in law starts in on politics or the fact that he takes 2ccs of ivomec so he don’t get the covid.
:-) Great story. I went to A School in Meridian after bootcamp. Was there for a month. A month in Mississippi is about two months too long.
[Reply]
Otter 01:18 PM 11-24-2021
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
Sounds like good advice until you find out cousin Jimmy got a job with the police department and he brought along his K9 partner Sniffles aka "Hippy Ripper."
There's powder THC you mix with water that tastes and smells like grape juice these days.
[Reply]
seclark 01:19 PM 11-24-2021
Originally Posted by ThyKingdomCome15:
My birthday is Christmas Day. So on Christmas I don't think about others at all. It has always been the day me and Jesus share. I'm very blessed. All the other stuff doesn't matter.
Mine is also on Christmas Day only I try to think about others instead of myself.
sec
[Reply]
ModSocks 02:30 PM 11-24-2021
Holidays are a great time to get shit done around the house. Like this 4 day weekend coming up. I'll lose my freakin mind if i just sat around smoking and drinking all day.

I plan on re-painting my living room and installing new door trim in the master bedroom this weekend. I've got a short in the wiring in the attic i need to sort out too.
[Reply]
Eureka 03:57 PM 11-24-2021
My family barely meets up anymore and it's a no for the holidays as I live a 6 hour drive away. I see them occasionally but not for the holidays because....

My wife's family is super awesome. 20 cousins on my wife's dad side (she is one of the cousins) and there is always a big meet up at one of the uncles house's (except the covid year). Their Chinese and me being the white guy maybe I don't get the small in's & outs of what going on negatively but everyone always seems so happy. There's lots of specialty foods and booze. The Cousins all play a white elephant gift and last time the theme was European gift theme (I might have had something to do with that). There are 4 other white guys married into the family and we have a brotherhood going of sorts. Anyways it's like a movie family get together for every holiday. I Love the holidays and am thankful for my wife's large family.

The first Thanksgiving I spent at my wife's family house her 7 Aunts waved me over as I was looking for a place to sit and eat. Found out later is was kind of a set up as they questioned me on a lot of stuff. One of the cousins brought me over some whiskey and coke saying you're gonna need this. Well seems I passed their tests they had. They also have this stereo type that because I'm Irish I'm allowed to drink as much as I want and they won't judge me. Tis my culture in their mind.
[Reply]
Pablo 06:13 PM 11-24-2021
Love them. Having a 5 year old certainly rejuvenated my love for Christmas. Getting to see the world thru his eyes is exciting and doing all the traditional family stuff is great. Thanksgiving is food and football and I can't really complain about that either.

Only thing that annoyed me that I'm learning to accept it that we're pulling in 4 different directions because of divorced parents on both sides that want to see us. Oh well, someday they won't be here and I'll want that part back.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 11
« First < 45678 91011 >
Up