ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 11
< 12 3456 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Perhaps an unpopular opinion - I don't like the holidays
TLO 08:09 AM 11-23-2021
This is kind of hard to talk about, and I'm not certain of the words to explain why I don't like them.

Anyone else feel the same way?
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 08:37 AM 11-23-2021
Originally Posted by TLO:
This is kind of hard to talk about, and I'm not certain of the words to explain why I don't like them.

Anyone else feel the same way?
Why do you hate America?
[Reply]
luv 08:37 AM 11-23-2021
Honestly, I could have gone without the holidays while I was single. Even with someone, you can still kind of just go through the motions. I didn't start to fully appreciate the season until my little man was old enough to open presents on his own. His anticipation kind of rubs off. Now, it's my goal to make this time of year special for him.
[Reply]
2bikemike 08:38 AM 11-23-2021
I suppose I am a grinch as well. I have probably worked more holidays than I had off. It could be why they feel just like any other day. I do love the 4th of July though!

My wife spends a week getting the house decorated for Christmas and harps on me constantly about hanging outside lights. It feels like a waste of time to me.
[Reply]
Bearcat 08:41 AM 11-23-2021
I think even if you're fortunate to have fond memories of the holidays and no/few reasons to hate this time of year, there's still several things that can make them less than enjoyable.... and of course the biggest thing being forced to watch the Lions and Cowboys every fucking Thanksgiving, followed by feeling obligation to make everyone happy while stressing yourself out.

I fortunately had pretty low key parents with low key traditions growing up and do the same these days... very rarely travel, parents are 1300 miles away so there's no going house to house. There's some gift giving drama every year, but whatever.

Given the other 49 weeks of the year, the weeks of Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years have fortunately been more about relaxation with a little family time.
[Reply]
Hoover 08:43 AM 11-23-2021
I hate gift giving. I hate getting gifts too.

But I like the Holidays. Love getting together with my family.

This Thanksgiving my brother and I rented a big VRBO so we can all be together. I love nothing more than seeing my son play with his cousins.
[Reply]
notorious 08:44 AM 11-23-2021
I love it, but I do get bummed at moments. I thinks it’s the horrible food intake that does it.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 08:44 AM 11-23-2021
I have to say that the rise of online shopping has made Christmas gift shopping a lot more tolerable for me.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 08:45 AM 11-23-2021
I have a lot of happy memories being a child around Thanksgiving and Christmas. That just hasn't translated into adulthood.

I think my favorite part of the season is seeing how into decorating and baking my grandma gets. It's by far her favorite time of year and that makes me happy to see.
Do not take this for granted. I lost my grandma a month ago. Thought she'd be blowing out 100 candles and lost her before she hit 90.
[Reply]
notorious 08:45 AM 11-23-2021
Originally Posted by Hoover:
I hate gift giving. I hate getting gifts too.

But I like the Holidays. Love getting together with my family.

This Thanksgiving my brother and I rented a big VRBO so we can all be together. I love nothing more than seeing my son play with his cousins.
Yep, I buy what I want.

But, and this is a huge but, when my kids make me something it’s my most prized possession.
[Reply]
FlaChief58 08:46 AM 11-23-2021
I love this time of year. Cool weather, I can open my windows and doors. Get to spend a lot more time outdoors without sweating my balls off. Good food, good friends and family get together to enjoy the season
. What's not to like
[Reply]
ChiTown 08:50 AM 11-23-2021
I love the Holidays, but I love them primarily because I get to be around my Kids and Family. Without them, admittedly, it would be tougher to enjoy.
[Reply]
wazu 08:55 AM 11-23-2021
Originally Posted by ChiTown:
I love the Holidays, but I love them primarily because I get to be around my Kids and Family. Without them, admittedly, it would be tougher to enjoy.
This may be the key. I originally thought about my childhood connection to this time of year, but as an adult I've usually also been around my parents and siblings during this time (who I like), and for the past 18 years I've had kids of my own to share it with. If I was not around all of these people and just living kind of isolated somewhere I could see it feeling very different.
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 08:56 AM 11-23-2021
I think Thanksgiving is great. Food, Football, Family/friends. I could see how it would be a drain to be the host, especially for a very large gathering.

I like everything about the Christmas/holiday season other than the gift giving.
[Reply]
Mennonite 08:59 AM 11-23-2021

Why do you persist in your journey to hell?

I think the problem isn't the holidays so much as it is that some of you guys have shitty families and you hate being forced to be around them. Or maybe you have good families and they hate having to be around you.

Either way, the easiest solution is to just readjust the ratio of booze to nog in your eggnog until you get into the holiday spirit.

Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage:

I like everything about the Christmas/holiday season other than the gift giving.
The gift receiving on the other hand is aces.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 09:20 AM 11-23-2021
I think, like most things, your experience around the holidays is what you make of it. Of course, a tough financial situation or family issues can have a negative effect. I dealt with a lot of those problems growing up that really took the magic out of the holidays.

I will say the festive atmosphere is nice and I generally like Christmas music and decor. I also have a job now that gives me time off around the holidays so if it's nothing more than an extra few days off, I still like when they come around.

Personally, I am not a fan of the general consumerism around Christmas. The amount of bullshit gifts I've given and received over the years just because it's expected is absurd. I have more cologne collecting dust than I could ever use, as well as watches and clothes that I'll never wear.

I will say that it is pretty cool when you get a practical gift that just hits, though, and I typically enjoy the whole process of gift opening on Christmas Day.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 11
< 12 3456 > Last »
Up