ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3809 of 3903
« First < 2809330937093759379938053806380738083809 381038113812381338193859 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
TLO 08:13 PM 12-03-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:
I don't know. From what I read of that woman, she's not someone I'd be recommending at this time.

This particular quote of hers turns my stomach to be honest:
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Did a quick search and found that this practitioner advocating for hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin due to the sham study by Raoult.
Originally Posted by TLO:
Yeah, I'm sure that's exactly what he wants to listen to in these trying times.

**** you
^
[Reply]
Eureka 08:23 PM 12-03-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:
I don't know. From what I read of that woman, she's not someone I'd be recommending at this time.

This particular quote of hers turns my stomach to be honest:
Did a quick search and found that this practitioner advocating for hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin due to the sham study by Raoult.
I just happened to listen to that particular podcast yesterday as she was talking about that particular subject. I'm no expert on who's a top notch doctor and I meant nothing bad towards OnTheWarpath.

Thanks for the info though and appreciate you guys not being emotional about it like TLO.
[Reply]
TLO 08:28 PM 12-03-2021
Originally Posted by Eureka:
I just happened to listen to that particular podcast yesterday as she was talking about that particular subject. I'm no expert on who's a top notch doctor and I meant nothing bad towards OnTheWarpath.

Thanks for the info though and appreciate you guys not being emotional about it like TLO.
You're full of shit.
[Reply]
Eureka 11:02 PM 12-03-2021
**** you
You're full of shit.
Why don't you take a deep breathe.

The thread title says Discussion.

I don't come at posters here like you do. :-)
[Reply]
suzzer99 11:25 PM 12-03-2021
That's the thing with these charlatans. They advocate HCQ, or make spurious claims about VAERS, and then still expect to be taken seriously on other issues, when in reality their credibility is shattered and they should be shunned out of public discourse.
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 11:39 PM 12-03-2021
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I'm back. I went left on the arm to keep the rotation going. This shot went in harder than the first two. I think she injected it with a drinking straw or something.
Got mine today too. Shot felt the same as the first 2, barely felt it. Starting to feel a lot sore tonight but not major pain on the injection site. I expect to feel a little tired and achy tomorrow like previously.
[Reply]
TLO 11:58 PM 12-03-2021
Originally Posted by Eureka:
Why don't you take a deep breathe.

The thread title says Discussion.

I don't come at posters here like you do. :-)
Sorry. I thought you had some alterative motive.

I apologize
[Reply]
Eureka 01:09 AM 12-04-2021
Sorry. I thought you had some alterative motive.

I apologize
Apology accepted. Says a lot about you to say that. I never intended to have an alternative motive. Had my own experiences with covid and the shot. My experience hasn't been great with the shot but I still try and see it from both sides.

OnTheWarpath is experiencing more with his stepdad then most on here. Sucks for him and his family. We're all wishing his stepdad makes a full recovery. I kind of felt bad for what I originally posted when pointed out as maybe it isn't something he should be listening to know.

Hope your exhaust system on your dodge is sounding better.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 09:08 AM 12-04-2021
The standard course of therapy for patients that require hospitalization and supplemental oxygen is remdesivir, dexamethasone, and either tocilizumab or baricitinib.
I know he received the bolded, plus a steroid that I can't recall and I don't have my notes nearby.

Yesterday was a wild ride - the dumbass sent my mom a video about Remdisivir being a "murder drug" at 1:30am and demanded that treatment be discontinued.

Luckily, we were able to reach out to his PCP who he likes and trusts, who advised him to get back on it. Up until that point, he's been denying how sick he really is, even though every doc that speaks with him tells him he's critical.

Also learned that he's not on 6L of O2, he's on an Optiflow treatment which was at 85% flow - I misunderstood that he was at 85% SpO2 - they've since jacked the flow wide open and it's at 100% and 60 LPM.

Trying to stay positive, but it's gonna be a miracle if he makes it.
[Reply]
Donger 09:26 AM 12-04-2021
I hesitated posting this since it's based on a pre-print, but it could end up being very significant news:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...ays/ar-AARscA9

The omicron variant is likely to have picked up genetic material from another virus that causes the common cold in humans, according to a new preliminary study, prompting one of its authors to suggest omicron could have greater transmissibility but lower virulence than other variants of the novel coronavirus.

Researchers from Nference, a Cambridge, Mass.-based firm that analyzes biomedical information, sequenced omicron and found a snippet of genetic code that is also present in a virus that can bring about a cold. They say this particular mutation could have occurred in a host simultaneously infected by SARS-CoV-2, also known as the novel coronavirus, and the HCoV-229E coronavirus, which can cause the common cold. The shared genetic code with HCoV-229E has not been detected in other novel coronavirus variants, the scientists said.

The study is in preprint and has not been peer-reviewed.

The “striking” similarity between omicron and HCoV-229E could have made the former “more accustomed to human hosts” and likely to evade some immune system responses, said Venky Soundararajan, a biological engineer who co-wrote the study.

“By virtue of omicron adopting this insertion … it is essentially taking a leaf out of the seasonal coronaviruses’ page, which [explains] … how it lives and transmits more efficiently with human beings," he said.

Researchers have established that SARS-CoV-2, which is responsible for the covid-19 disease, can infect patients who are also afflicted by other coronaviruses. Cells in lungs and gastrointestinal systems could host both types of viruses, said Soundararajan, possibly leading to an exchange in genetic material.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says health experts are studying how often patients simultaneously suffer from covid and other respiratory illnesses.

While much remains unknown about omicron, health experts are worried that its many mutations could make it far more transmissible than variants such as delta. In South Africa, the country’s National Institute for Communicable Diseases said Wednesday that omicron overtook other virus variants in November, accounting for 74 percent of the genomes sequenced last month.
Maryland announces first three cases of omicron variant in the greater Washington region

Delta had previously been dominant in that country, where daily infection numbers have roughly quadrupled in the last four days. Anthony S. Fauci, the top U.S. infectious-diseases expert, told Bloomberg TV Friday that it was “comforting but not definitive” that the rapid increase in South Africa’s caseload has not yet been followed by a comparable surge in hospitalizations, adding that there could be a time lag.

Nference researchers last year sequenced the novel coronavirus and found that part of its genetic code “mimics” a protein that helps regulate salt and fluid balance in the human body. That development aided efforts to design drugs that combat viral transmission.

As a virus evolves to become more transmissible, it generally “loses” traits that are likely to cause severe symptoms, Soundararajan said. But he noted that much more data and analysis of omicron was needed before a definitive determination could be made, adding that unequal distribution of vaccines globally could lead to further mutations of the coronavirus.

As Fauci warned Friday that there was “absolutely … community spread” in America, President Biden said the United States must support global efforts to stop the spread of the coronavirus, especially as new variants emerge, “in order to beat covid” at home.

“Look what’s happened ... We’re starting to make some real progress, and you find out there’s another strain,” Biden added, noting that his administration had shipped millions of vaccines worldwide to people in need.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 09:29 AM 12-04-2021
if accurate, do we really want to stop the spread of Omicron?

Not that we can stop it.
[Reply]
IA_Chiefs_fan 10:07 AM 12-04-2021
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:

Not that we can stop it.
I think so but that's a good question.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:12 AM 12-04-2021

Not that we can stop it.
Still just kind of depends on hospital capacity. If it's more mild, we'd want it to take over the world, but not so quickly that hospitals are overrun.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 11:56 AM 12-04-2021

Not that we can stop it.
We aren't stopping the spread. For starters, it may have a greater ability to reinfect those who have already had covid.

And yes, we probably do want to slow the spread. Hospitals in some areas, such as parts of NY, are under strain. Flu has been suppressed the last winter with social distancing and remote schools. (And yes, probably even masks.) There is a distinct chance of an extra bad flu season since more people, especially kids, have gone longer without getting the flu. Although the higher uptake of flu shots is no doubt helping.

A spike in covid and flu this winter could be bad.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 11:59 AM 12-04-2021
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
I know he received the bolded, plus a steroid that I can't recall and I don't have my notes nearby.

Yesterday was a wild ride - the dumbass sent my mom a video about Remdisivir being a "murder drug" at 1:30am and demanded that treatment be discontinued.

Luckily, we were able to reach out to his PCP who he likes and trusts, who advised him to get back on it. Up until that point, he's been denying how sick he really is, even though every doc that speaks with him tells him he's critical.

Also learned that he's not on 6L of O2, he's on an Optiflow treatment which was at 85% flow - I misunderstood that he was at 85% SpO2 - they've since jacked the flow wide open and it's at 100% and 60 LPM.

Trying to stay positive, but it's gonna be a miracle if he makes it.

I'm really sorry you and your family have to go through all of that. I know you've had to deal with this shit personally more than once. FWIW, there are steroid equivalents. Generally, you keep the patient on dexamethasone if it is available (it is not on shortage right now) because it was the drug that was studied, but as long as he's receiving an equivalent dose (for example, 32mg of methylpred or 40mg of prednisone) the effect should hopefully be similar.
[Reply]
Page 3809 of 3903
« First < 2809330937093759379938053806380738083809 381038113812381338193859 > Last »
Up