ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2811 of 3903
« First < 1811231127112761280128072808280928102811 281228132814281528212861291133113811 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
O.city 08:51 AM 08-10-2020
Lockdowns were a mistake. They weren't properly planned or executed. Full scale lockdowns were never needed to curb it.

The problem with them is that you essentially have to stay in them until a vaccine or whatnot or you're gonna get flareups, even with test and trace. Now ideally, you ahve the numbers low enough you can put out embers before they fire way up, so there's validity there.

That we have seen places use more targeted approaches and get it under control is example enough. With locking everything down so hard and fast the first time, we didn't and really still don't know what actually slows infections and what doesnt'.
[Reply]
Donger 08:55 AM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Lockdowns were a mistake. They weren't properly planned or executed. Full scale lockdowns were never needed to curb it.

The problem with them is that you essentially have to stay in them until a vaccine or whatnot or you're gonna get flareups, even with test and trace. Now ideally, you ahve the numbers low enough you can put out embers before they fire way up, so there's validity there.

That we have seen places use more targeted approaches and get it under control is example enough. With locking everything down so hard and fast the first time, we didn't and really still don't know what actually slows infections and what doesnt'.
I don't see how you can say that. We did lock down, and we saw the cases drop. If that fact wasn't caused by the lock down, what do you think caused it?

We know that it's spread by humans. So, reducing human contact slows, and drops, the rate of infection.

I really don't know how you can argue against that.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:56 AM 08-10-2020

I largely agree. The initial reason for the lockdown was to prevent hospitals from being bombarded. That worked inside of a couple of weeks. The extended lockdowns arguably did as much ancillary damage as good.

And your point is completely valid. Unless you were prepared for an extreme lockdown until the virus was literally gone then you were doing nothing more than delaying the inevitable.

It comes down to medical resources. If the hospitals are being flooded you shut things down. Otherwise you carry on cautiously.
[Reply]
O.city 09:06 AM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
I don't see how you can say that. We did lock down, and we saw the cases drop. If that fact wasn't caused by the lock down, what do you think caused it?

We know that it's spread by humans. So, reducing human contact slows, and drops, the rate of infection.

I really don't know how you can argue against that.
We are also seeing cases drop now without strict lockdowns. In some areas, there were cases dropping before lockdowns it looks like.

The WHO, the CDC, basically all argue that strict lockdowns across a broad area aren't to be used, local and strategic ones are.
[Reply]
Donger 09:07 AM 08-10-2020
We are also seeing cases drop now without strict lockdowns. In some areas, there were cases dropping before lockdowns it looks like.

The WHO, the CDC, basically all argue that strict lockdowns across a broad area aren't to be used, local and strategic ones are.
Yes we are, but with mask wearing, and there are still many closures, right? Are you suggesting that we should have had no lockdowns and everyone should have just masked up?

Again, what caused the drop in cases after March?
[Reply]
O.city 09:08 AM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
I largely agree. The initial reason for the lockdown was to prevent hospitals from being bombarded. That worked inside of a couple of weeks. The extended lockdowns arguably did as much ancillary damage as good.

And your point is completely valid. Unless you were prepared for an extreme lockdown until the virus was literally gone then you were doing nothing more than delaying the inevitable.

It comes down to medical resources. If the hospitals are being flooded you shut things down. Otherwise you carry on cautiously.
The problem was we didn't and still don't fully know what is a driver in infections and what isn't. We have a pretty good idea for sure.

But it would have been more thoughtful to lock certain things down one by one and see what works. Thats hindsight, but it's what we're doing now.

There has been fuck ups on all sides and no one is blameless in this from a standpoint of leadership.
[Reply]
Donger 09:11 AM 08-10-2020
The problem was we didn't and still don't fully know what is a driver in infections and what isn't. We have a pretty good idea for sure.

But it would have been more thoughtful to lock certain things down one by one and see what works. Thats hindsight, but it's what we're doing now.

There has been **** ups on all sides and no one is blameless in this from a standpoint of leadership.
Yes we do. Human contact.
[Reply]
O.city 09:11 AM 08-10-2020
Yes we are, but with mask wearing, and there are still many closures, right? Are you suggesting that we should have had no lockdowns and everyone should have just masked up?
What were those organizations thoughts on mask wearing for non sick before this all started? Based on my understanding it was that it wouldn't curb much.

Now maybe thats changed ( I'm of the opinion that it helps, but isn't necessarily a magic bullet of any kind and it's probably marginally helpful).

But we have nations that did strict lockdowns and got it way down who are now having issues. We have mask wearing nations and such who are now having outbreaks.

My issue with doing anything that drastic is that if it's not feasible to keep doing, it's probably gonna be looked at not long term and while it will help, in the end, it's more of a delay. Which was the point the whole time. Not to completely suppress. That horse left the barn a long time ago.
[Reply]
O.city 09:13 AM 08-10-2020
Yes we do. Human contact.
I'm not arguing semantics with you this morning, I've got to much shit to do.

But yeah, human contact. Sustained or quick? For how long? Is it all aerosolized that causes the most infections?

I don't think eliminating human contact for a substantial amount of time comes without downfalls. But I'm basically at the end of the line with arguing about it so whatever you guys think, have at it.
[Reply]
Donger 09:14 AM 08-10-2020
What were those organizations thoughts on mask wearing for non sick before this all started? Based on my understanding it was that it wouldn't curb much.

Now maybe thats changed ( I'm of the opinion that it helps, but isn't necessarily a magic bullet of any kind and it's probably marginally helpful).

But we have nations that did strict lockdowns and got it way down who are now having issues. We have mask wearing nations and such who are now having outbreaks.

My issue with doing anything that drastic is that if it's not feasible to keep doing, it's probably gonna be looked at not long term and while it will help, in the end, it's more of a delay. Which was the point the whole time. Not to completely suppress. That horse left the barn a long time ago.
Yes, we do have some countries that are seeing flare ups, and they've identified why and how.

Since we did take the mitigation efforts we did, we don't know what would have happened without it. We have the death estimates, and I wouldn't have liked to see those come to fruition. If you differ, so be it. We'll just disagree.
[Reply]
Donger 09:16 AM 08-10-2020
I'm not arguing semantics with you this morning, I've got to much shit to do.

But yeah, human contact. Sustained or quick? For how long? Is it all aerosolized that causes the most infections?

I don't think eliminating human contact for a substantial amount of time comes without downfalls. But I'm basically at the end of the line with arguing about it so whatever you guys think, have at it.
It's not semantics. We do know what drives the spread of this bug: humans.

Have a great day.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 09:17 AM 08-10-2020
Thinking of putting eveyone in this thread on ignore except OC.
[Reply]
O.city 09:21 AM 08-10-2020
It's not semantics. We do know what drives the spread of this bug: humans.

Have a great day.
I've got a little more left in me, so I'll take a swing.

This is true. We also know the majority of spread happens at home. I'm not sure how we suppress that.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 09:21 AM 08-10-2020
I've got a little more left in me, so I'll take a swing.

This is true. We also know the majority of spread happens at home. I'm not sure how we suppress that.
24/7 masks and goggles, obviously.
[Reply]
O.city 09:22 AM 08-10-2020
Yes, we do have some countries that are seeing flare ups, and they've identified why and how.

Since we did take the mitigation efforts we did, we don't know what would have happened without it. We have the death estimates, and I wouldn't have liked to see those come to fruition. If you differ, so be it. We'll just disagree.
We have the death estimates for Sweden as well and we saw what they've done and they estimates are vastly off. In the end, as we've seen, thats basically the route all the countries are gonna end up going.

They also have been misconstrued as doing nothing (Sweden that is) and thats not the case. They basically did what we're doing now and have had success with it, so hopefully thats where we'll be in a month or so.
[Reply]
Page 2811 of 3903
« First < 1811231127112761280128072808280928102811 281228132814281528212861291133113811 > Last »
Up