ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 17 of 221
« First < 71314151617 181920212767117 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The Fishing Thread
Easy 6 07:58 PM 02-19-2010
Searched around & only found the video fishing & BassMasters threads, i know their are plenty of outdoorsman here, so i figured it'd be cool to draw upon the Planets vast experience in all things fishing.

I only use spincast reels & fish mostly large/smallmouth bass & cats. My choice of reels is quite the source of derision from many people i know 'duffer gear', but i haul in my share of 6 pound bass & 10-20 pound cats on that gear no problem. With a little know-how you can use just about any technique you want to on 'duffer gear'.

Berkley Powerbaits are a big part of my trick bag, the difference between those & regular stuff is night & day. My best action last summer came on Mister Twister scented white curly tail grubs, on one day fishing from shore to a bridge pier, i caught smallies, bigmouths, perch & even 1 carp believe it or not... great day. But my bread & butter is a texas rigged Berkley worm, it'll wiggle through any kind of cover without getting hung up.

With cats i strictly bottom fish, no bobber & bait is just as basic... but its always in 2's to give'em a real treat... a shrimp/with a nightcrawler, liver/chunk of cheese etc. Cats are mostly for night sport to me, time to kick back a lil...

So thats me style, how do the rest of you guys get your fish on? What do you fish for, what do you use? IIRC Missouri's trout season just kicked off, anyone getting anything?
[Reply]
Bill Lundberg 04:40 PM 04-01-2011
Originally Posted by billay:
Is anyone here familiar with Lake Olathe?
I fished it once. I didn't catch anything, but I buy bait from a guy over there who claims it's a decent crappie lake.
[Reply]
SAUTO 04:45 PM 04-01-2011
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
That's what I'm talking about! I wish to Hell it would warm up around here so I can get down to Truman for a mess of those.
Posted via Mobile Device
whereabouts on truman?
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
ZootedGranny 05:08 PM 04-01-2011
Originally Posted by Jerm:
Hitting up Truman this weekend...hoping the warmer temps might drive the crappie into shallower water around the deadfall.
I might make it down there Sunday, but the windy forecast and the still relatively low water temperatures may keep me from going.
[Reply]
SAUTO 05:10 PM 04-01-2011
Originally Posted by ZootedGranny:
I might make it down there Sunday, but the windy forecast and the still relatively low water temperatures may keep me from going.
Same question to the both of you.

Whereabouts on truman you fellas hitting up?
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Jerm 05:24 PM 04-01-2011
Got a couple of spots I hit up...down around the Deepwater area.
[Reply]
ZootedGranny 05:31 PM 04-01-2011
I usually launch out of Sterret Creek marina and work the Tebo arm.
[Reply]
SAUTO 06:20 PM 04-01-2011
Originally Posted by ZootedGranny:
I usually launch out of Sterret Creek marina and work the Tebo arm.
Really? That's not too far from me.

If you ever have car issues at the lake hit me up.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
JimBaker488 09:50 AM 04-02-2011
Anybody here done much fly fishing using non fly fishing equipment, i.e., a spinning reel & rod ? It's well known that a lot of so called fly fishing is really done with nymphs and other lures to fish for trout sub-surface. As a matter of fact I understand in many areas most of the "fly fishing" is done sub surface ?
[Reply]
Dartgod 02:29 PM 04-02-2011
Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO:
whereabouts on truman?
Posted via Mobile Device
Our boat is stored near Bucksaw, so usually in that area if we are just down there for the day. If we're camping for the weekend we go to Long Shoal.
[Reply]
NewChief 02:49 PM 04-02-2011
Originally Posted by JimBaker488:
Anybody here done much fly fishing using non fly fishing equipment, i.e., a spinning reel & rod ? It's well known that a lot of so called fly fishing is really done with nymphs and other lures to fish for trout sub-surface. As a matter of fact I understand in many areas most of the "fly fishing" is done sub surface ?
I've never done it, but I think this is what you're asking about...

http://www.activeangler.com/flyfishi...y_bubble.shtml

And another article with diagrams:

http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/bubble.htm
[Reply]
Easy 6 05:43 PM 04-02-2011
Originally Posted by Dunit35:
Bought a baitcaster, lures, tackle box and license for $75 today. Caught my first largemouth in 10 years today. Hell yeah.

Going pond fishing with my fiancés grandfather monday.
Best $75 you ever spent, isnt it?

Even days that you dont catch anything are great... outdoors, getting some sun by or on the water, checking out the various wildlife, catchin a buzz. Fishing is never boring to me.

If tomorrow is as nice as today was here, think i'm gonna go spend $40-50 restocking the tackle box, get a license & get started.
[Reply]
Dunit35 05:54 PM 04-02-2011
Originally Posted by scott free:
Best $75 you ever spent, isnt it?

Even days that you dont catch anything are great... outdoors, getting some sun by or on the water, checking out the various wildlife, catchin a buzz. Fishing is never boring to me.

If tomorrow is as nice as today was here, think i'm gonna go spend $40-50 restocking the tackle box, get a license & get started.
Well worth it.

Looking through Bass Pro looking at lures. Ready to go again and as often as possible.

Only caught one bass in the 1 1/2 hours we were there but just chilling outside at the pond was well worth it.

Anybody have any favorite bass lures or websites I can buy lures at?

Bass Pro isn't that bad on prices. As I've said before, we only have a wal mart here.
[Reply]
Easy 6 06:11 PM 04-02-2011
Anybody have any favorite bass lures or websites I can buy lures at?
You can never go wrong with a plastic worm, just throw it in & leave it alone for several minutes or slowly work in to you.

Swimbaits that replicate the swimming motion of a minnow are great too, same for diving rattler's. I really dont think there is a perfect lure, what works today may not work tomorrow & what the other guy tells you may not work for you. My old stepdad used to swear by spoons but i've hardly caught a damn thing on'em.

But if a had to choose, it'd be live bait, minnow, bluegill, whatever. Some dont think thats very sporting, but i dont care, i like to catch fish & nothing is better than the real thing.

I dont know about websites, but i'm sure your local wally-world has plenty of decent stuff that'll work.
[Reply]
Dunit35 06:18 PM 04-02-2011
Originally Posted by scott free:
You can never go wrong with a plastic worm, just throw it in & leave it alone for several minutes or slowly work in to you.

Swimbaits that replicate the swimming motion of a minnow are great too, same for diving rattler's. I really dont think there is a perfect lure, what works today may not work tomorrow & what the other guy tells you may not work for you. My old stepdad used to swear by spoons but i've hardly caught a damn thing on'em.

But if a had to choose, it'd be live bait, minnow, bluegill, whatever. Some dont think thats very sporting, but i dont care, i like to catch fish & nothing is better than the real thing.

I dont know about websites, but i'm sure your local wally-world has plenty of decent stuff that'll work
Not really, one aisle mainly lures in the $5-6 range. It's kind of surprising, they use to carry a lot of lures. I haven't shopped for lures in 10 years though.
[Reply]
Easy 6 06:27 PM 04-02-2011
Not really, one aisle mainly lures in the $5-6 range. It's kind of surprising, they use to carry a lot of lures. I haven't shopped for lures in 10 years though.
That is surprising, you'd think a small town wally-world would be well stocked.

I'd say go to the bass pro site & order atleast 1 of anything that looks cool... not very scientific, but it'll be exciting for you. Trying out new lures is cool, 'is this one the magic ticket?'.
[Reply]
Page 17 of 221
« First < 71314151617 181920212767117 > Last »
Up