ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 106 of 221
« First < 65696102103104105106 107108109110116156206 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The Fishing Thread
Easy 6 07:58 PM 02-19-2010
Searched around & only found the video fishing & BassMasters threads, i know their are plenty of outdoorsman here, so i figured it'd be cool to draw upon the Planets vast experience in all things fishing.

I only use spincast reels & fish mostly large/smallmouth bass & cats. My choice of reels is quite the source of derision from many people i know 'duffer gear', but i haul in my share of 6 pound bass & 10-20 pound cats on that gear no problem. With a little know-how you can use just about any technique you want to on 'duffer gear'.

Berkley Powerbaits are a big part of my trick bag, the difference between those & regular stuff is night & day. My best action last summer came on Mister Twister scented white curly tail grubs, on one day fishing from shore to a bridge pier, i caught smallies, bigmouths, perch & even 1 carp believe it or not... great day. But my bread & butter is a texas rigged Berkley worm, it'll wiggle through any kind of cover without getting hung up.

With cats i strictly bottom fish, no bobber & bait is just as basic... but its always in 2's to give'em a real treat... a shrimp/with a nightcrawler, liver/chunk of cheese etc. Cats are mostly for night sport to me, time to kick back a lil...

So thats me style, how do the rest of you guys get your fish on? What do you fish for, what do you use? IIRC Missouri's trout season just kicked off, anyone getting anything?
[Reply]
Easy 6 08:29 PM 04-22-2016
Originally Posted by BDj23:
7 ft catfish rod with an open face reel and 30lb braded line and some shad sides.

Only bite i got all day.

I'm guessing he was around 25-30lbs, but with fish stories you always go on the heavy side! I wish i could have gotten a better photo, but there wasn't anybody anywhere close to me.

I picked him up by his jaw and held him about shoulder level and his tail fin went down to my knees. I'm 6'3
If you're only gonna get one bite, might as well make it a doozie

Catch and release, or golden fried fritters?

I'm looking at that and thinking potato salad, onion and iced tea

Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
Last weekend I hammered crappie at Redmond. Literally every cast was a catch and Redmond produces big fish. It got to the point it was boring since they were in like 2 feet of water biting almost instantly. Between mt dad and I we could have kept 100 12 inch crappie and 30 15 inch crappie and that is not an exageration. We ended up keeping about 30 between us. Here is one of the larger ones. And these things are wide with big backs. Basically got strip steaks off them.
Awesome, crappie some of the best eating fish I've ever had

What were you catching them with?
[Reply]
bdj23 08:35 PM 04-22-2016
I'm typically a catch and release guy, I'd like to see him grow bigger and hopefully catch him again, so it was his lucky day. Plus, despite it being a great place for big catfish, you're not really supposed to eat bottom feeding fish out of the Kansas River because of pollution.
[Reply]
Easy 6 08:41 PM 04-22-2016
Originally Posted by BDj23:
I'm typically a catch and release guy, I'd like to see him grow bigger and hopefully catch him again, so it was his lucky day. Plus, despite it being a great place for big catfish, you're not really supposed to eat bottom feeding fish out of the Kansas River because of pollution.
Copy that, I usually release as well... but there are exceptions
[Reply]
mr. tegu 08:42 PM 04-22-2016
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
If you're only gonna get one bite, might as well make it a doozie

Catch and release, or golden fried fritters?

I'm looking at that and thinking potato salad, onion and iced tea

Awesome, crappie some of the best eating fish I've ever had

What were you catching them with?
Jigs. Mine were tube jigs with chartreuse tails. Don't think it would have mattered though. It literally must have looked like a tank of minnows in there with as many crappie where there.
[Reply]
Easy 6 09:25 PM 04-22-2016
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
Jigs. Mine were tube jigs with chartreuse tails. Don't think it would have mattered though. It literally must have looked like a tank of minnows in there with as many crappie where there.
That just sounds crazy, I've never experienced a situation quite like that

I know this, wish I could be at the fish fry
[Reply]
Dartgod 09:34 PM 04-22-2016
Heading back to Truman in the morning. We went last Saturday and got skunked. We didn't get out until nearly noon, fought the wind and dogs were being a pain. Tomorrow we'll head out much earlier, no dogs and the weather will be much nicer. Hoping we find the crappie on the banks and get our limit.

Almost forgot, I didn't put the plug in last week so the bilge pump got a workout.
[Reply]
Easy 6 09:55 PM 04-22-2016
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
Heading back to Truman in the morning. We went last Saturday and got skunked. We didn't get out until nearly noon, fought the wind and dogs were being a pain. Tomorrow we'll head out much earlier, no dogs and the weather will be much nicer. Hoping we find the crappie on the banks and get our limit.

Almost forgot, I didn't put the plug in last week so the bilge pump got a workout.
Yep, ditch the dogs and hit those warm banks... thats a plan
[Reply]
Dartgod 10:08 PM 04-22-2016
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Yep, ditch the dogs and hit those warm banks... thats a plan
Maybe if I'm not dealing with getting the damn dogs in the boat I'll remember to put the drain plug in this time.
[Reply]
SAUTO 07:31 AM 04-23-2016

They are getting closer to the banks but not quite there yet. You are probably a couple days early. I talked to several guys last night who didn't catch anything yesterday
[Reply]
mr. tegu 09:18 AM 04-23-2016
Yes, I should mention that Redmond is probably the shallowest large lake around. It's maximum depth is about 12 feet so the spawn is early there much like the creeks and rivers above a reservoir or a small pond would be. Most other large reservoirs on the actual lake are not there yet with the fish on the bank.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 09:37 AM 04-23-2016
You should how many freaking fisherman are down at the Lake this weekend. Big amateur tournament, $60,000 top prize.
[Reply]
bdj23 01:13 PM 04-23-2016
I tried to get back out this morning.

The Kansas river doesn't have a lot of access to it for shore fishermen and the water had resided a few feet since yesterday. The steep banks and syrupy mud would have made landing fish impossible without a long net or gaff.

I guess I'll try again tomorrow.
[Reply]
Dartgod 05:14 PM 04-23-2016
Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO:
They are getting closer to the banks but not quite there yet. You are probably a couple days early. I talked to several guys last night who didn't catch anything yesterday
We got out on the lake about 8:30 this morning. I'm happy to report that I remembered to put in the plug this time.

The morning bite was pretty good. I got three in the live well that were caught within 5 feet of the bank. My wife stomped my ass today though. The three I caught early would be it for the day. I don't know what the hell happened. I had one that got off just as I was lifting it into the boat. Other than that, I really didn't miss too many opportunities.

My wife had staked me to an early lead while she was dealing with tangled line issues. And then she started catching fish. And more fish. And more. She ended up with nine nice ones in the live well to kick my ass 3/1 on the day. Most of the fish we caught were in the 11" range.

It really slowed down in the afternoon. I had hoped for a little better day, but still brought home a nice bag of fillets.
[Reply]
Easy 6 05:38 PM 04-23-2016
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
You should how many freaking fisherman are down at the Lake this weekend. Big amateur tournament, $60,000 top prize.
I really, truly hate it when my local lake has tournaments, which is weekly... those guys act like they run the place just because theres a tourney going on

About 3-4 years ago I was at one of the more popular points, had been there for atleast an hour and was having some luck... here comes these two guys in their boat wanting to pull up about 20 feet from shore and start casting

I stood there looking at them for a bit, just stunned that they thought this was ok... I'm like "uh, what the hell are you guys doing?"... "uh, we're fishing"

The hell you are I said, I've been here for an hour... "well we're here now", at that point I said to hell with it, I told them if they were going to butt in on me, none of us were going to catch anything and started picking up larger rocks and throwing into the water around the bank to spook any fish away

"Hey mfer, you better knock that shit off or we'll come up there and handle this"... so I walked to my truck, pulled my ax handle from behind the seat and told them to come on up and handle it

"We'll see you around mfer", ok sure was my reply as they moved on... the fishing was ruined at that spot, but my point had been made, couldnt believe they thought that just because they were in a tourney that they could just roll up and fish over me
[Reply]
SAUTO 05:45 PM 04-23-2016
We got out on the lake about 8:30 this morning. I'm happy to report that I remembered to put in the plug this time.

The morning bite was pretty good. I got three in the live well that were caught within 5 feet of the bank. My wife stomped my ass today though. The three I caught early would be it for the day. I don't know what the hell happened. I had one that got off just as I was lifting it into the boat. Other than that, I really didn't miss too many opportunities.

My wife had staked me to an early lead while she was dealing with tangled line issues. And then she started catching fish. And more fish. And more. She ended up with nine nice ones in the live well to kick my ass 3/1 on the day. Most of the fish we caught were in the 11" range.

It really slowed down in the afternoon. I had hoped for a little better day, but still brought home a nice bag of fillets.
What area are you in? General :-)
[Reply]
Page 106 of 221
« First < 65696102103104105106 107108109110116156206 > Last »
Up