ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Media Center>What was the first song you liked?
Stewie 08:31 PM 05-25-2022
Disregarding nursery rhymes and anything before age 6...

What's your first memory of a song that really caught your ear?

For me it was "Henry the Eighth" by Herman's Hermits. Catchy, and I could sing along to the simple lyrics. I think I was 6 or 7.

Also...

What was the first music you bought with your own money? Single, Album, etc..
[Reply]
kcpasco 06:29 PM 05-30-2022
Born in 79 so maybe around 85 I can vaguely remember money for nothing caught my interest.
[Reply]
Stryker 08:09 PM 05-30-2022
Born in 63 so "Hey Jude" maybe? Man this is an awesome thread! :-)

I can actually remember The Ed Sullivan Show - The Beatles - Twist and Shout

Fun fact, I was in front of the TV in Topeka, Kansas during this time in my life!
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 12:20 AM 05-31-2022

[Reply]
DJJasonp 01:10 PM 05-31-2022
My first vinyl I had was the Jackson 5s greatest hits. So probably “I want you back” or “abc”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Rain Man 07:35 PM 05-31-2022
When I was a child, my only exposure was to diehard old-school country music. Rock and roll did not enter our house and I was not aware that it existed other than a vague parental disapproval of The Beatles who just made a bunch of noise.

When I was about 5 years old, my parents bought one of those enormous console combination televisions that contained a television, radio, and phonograph player. I'm not sure why they bought it because they never used the radio, and they only owned one record album. In their entire lives, that was the only record album they ever owned.

And that brings me to the point. They had the one record album all through my childhood, and it was some sort of "popular country hits" record from a particular year. So I heard that record somewhat frequently.

There was one song on there that my five-year old mind found to be very clever. It was this:

So the song that I first liked was a pretty bad song about a guy getting drunk. And I'm not even really sure that it's a song. It's more of a weird story set to music.

At some point I was able to listen to the radio, and I guess I like story songs. I heard CW McCall's "Wolfcreek Pass" and it became my new favorite song. From there I went to Johnny Horton's "Battle of New Orleans".

Then when I was about 14, I was hanging out with older kids who had the money to buy records and 8-tracks, and I heard Styx's "Come Sail Away". At that point my musical tastes took a hard turn toward rock and roll.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:32 AM 06-01-2022
Most of my classmates were listening to Bobby Goldsoboro, Jackson 5, AM radio pop. I heard this and it expanded my musical life.

[Reply]
Molitoth 08:31 AM 06-01-2022
This is tough to nail down the "first", but I can vividly remember a couple.

My mom got me a Snoopy record player (45's) at the age of... 5 or 6? and my sister gave me a couple of 45 records.

Them being:

Michael Jackson - "Thriller"
The Surfaris - "Wipe Out"

I remember these being my first fav songs.

Shortly after that I remember my fav song on the radio being:
Dire Straits - "Money for Nothing".
[Reply]
listopencil 09:10 AM 06-01-2022
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
First music that was 'mine' as in I chose it and tuned in was on my clock radio.

Q-104 top 5 at 9.

First ones I remember being hyped for were;

Dexie's Midnight Runners - Come on Eileen

Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMDq...nnel=Sugarland

[Reply]
Gadzooks 06:12 PM 06-01-2022

[Reply]
Baby Lee 06:20 PM 06-01-2022
Originally Posted by Gadzooks:
Poor Save Ferris, was right on the money regarding the zeitgeist of music at the time. Tons of energy, hot chick fronting vocals, horns, screaming fans. . . Then one morning they turn on MTV and see this

Spoiler!

Has to be like Carr thinking that the 2018 preseason was pretty good for his franchise, then seeing Mahomes take the field in the regular season.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 06:31 PM 06-01-2022
The Streak. Boogy-dah-boogie...
[Reply]
Coochie liquor 07:01 PM 06-01-2022
I remember calling the radio station and requesting Cum On Feel the Noize by Quiet Riot. They would always tell me they can’t play it before noon. Pretty sure it was the pop station in StL. KHRT or something like that.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 07:07 PM 06-01-2022
Originally Posted by Coochie liquor:
I remember calling the radio station and requesting Cum On Feel the Noize by Quiet Riot. They would always tell me they can’t play it before noon. Pretty sure it was the pop station in StL. KHRT or something like that.
Ha. I remember calling Z92 (the ROCK in Omaha) and requesting Iron Maiden...they would always say "yeah, we'll get that one up in a little bit..." Took me awhile to realize there was no way in hell they were going to play Iron Maiden. I was young and naive...
[Reply]
Coochie liquor 07:10 PM 06-01-2022
Originally Posted by InChiefsHeaven:
Ha. I remember calling Z92 (the ROCK in Omaha) and requesting Iron Maiden...they would always say "yeah, we'll get that one up in a little bit..." Took me awhile to realize there was no way in hell they were going to play Iron Maiden. I was young and naive...
Yeah, I remember the local StL station K-SHE 95 finally started Monday Night Metal (EITHER YOU ROCK OR YOU SUCK). Still never seemed like they played too much real heavy metal at that point. Probably Maiden, Priest, and Metallica were about as heavy as they got.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 07:15 PM 06-01-2022
Originally Posted by Coochie liquor:
Yeah, I remember the local StL station K-SHE 95 finally started Monday Night Metal (EITHER YOU ROCK OR YOU SUCK). Still never seemed like they played too much real heavy metal at that point. Probably Maiden, Priest, and Metallica were about as heavy as they got.
Up here it was 93 KROC, they did some metal thing I think on Friday nights. Shockingly good, but that wasn't until the 90's.

It's funny, cuz now you hear metal on the...classic rock station...classic...Fuck I'm old...
[Reply]
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Up