ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 7
< 12345 67 >
Media Center>Soparanos prequel movie trailer
BigRedChief 07:45 AM 06-30-2021

[Reply]
Easy 6 06:31 PM 10-02-2021
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
Sucked. Came for a Sopranos movie, and watched some weak social commentary on race relations.
Wha?

Really?
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 07:01 PM 10-02-2021
Originally Posted by MTG#10:
It's getting shit on big time on Reddit. I enjoyed it for the most part, but can Hollywood produce one single script that doesn't revolve around how evil white people are? It's getting tiresome.
Just one?

But perhaps you mean something new and not a long standing character?

But Janx... that is a Ryan Reynolds comedy, of course it won't be about how evil white people are!

Ok Janx... I'm not talking about super hero movies. I'm talking about real films.

Janx, Clint made that movie... not "Hollywood".

/all movies currently showing in theaters
[Reply]
cosmo20002 07:15 PM 10-02-2021
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
What the hell does that solve? We don't "finally" know shit. He did that on purpose. He wanted to leave it as he is dead, no he's not. All these years later he's still being ambiguous. As the creative guy, he can chose how he wants it to end. We get to tell him forever how much we hate his choice.

That wasn't a choice that needed to be made. We didn't need Tony to die or live happily ever after. He set it up with all the people coming in and out, the dramatic music swelling, Tony looking up, everyone seemingly happy, we are expecting something eventful to happen and then completely dark.

People thought their cable had went out because it was such a weird choice. They called their cable companies demanding to know how the show ended.

One of the worst choices ever to end a popular show.
Agree. The ending was bullshit. It wasn't clever or creative. It was just lazy and dumb.
[Reply]
Easy 6 07:16 PM 10-02-2021
Beauford with that particular critique gives me genuine pause, think I'll rent it for $5 instead of paying full boat plus popcorn and sides
[Reply]
cosmo20002 07:26 PM 10-02-2021
Movie was ok...that's it.

Best parts were the Silvio and Paulie impressions from the guys playing the young versions.

I kept seeing all these articles touting the return of Ray Liotta to the mobster genre...
Spoiler!

Also, future mob movies should be banned from using Rolling Stones music. That's a Scorsese thing. He owns that.
[Reply]
MTG#10 08:14 AM 10-03-2021
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx:
Just one?
Okay, I was obviously exaggerating...but my point still remains. If you haven't noticed the trend the last few years you have your head in the sand.

And it's not just movies, it's shows as well...probably even moreso.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 08:25 AM 10-03-2021
Okay, I was obviously exaggerating...but my point still remains. If you haven't noticed the trend the last few years you have your head in the sand.
I think I get you. You are done seeing white people portrayed in a negative light and would like to see them portrayed in a positive light and standing up for the little guy.

If you want to see white people being kind to others and being uplifted as good people:

The Help:

Green Book:

Hidden Figures:

[Reply]
BigBeauford 08:32 AM 10-03-2021
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Beauford with that particular critique gives me genuine pause, think I'll rent it for $5 instead of paying full boat plus popcorn and sides
It's on HBO Max if you have that service (might be the best streaming service). That said, it feels like a major bait and switch. Aside from my other critiques about this being a race commentary, this also feels like a Dickie origin story, and not a Tony one. The whole thing is superfluous and unnecessary, and feels like a complete waste. I know folks criticized El Camino for being unnecessary to Breaking Bad, but this turns those sentiments up to an 11 for anyone that was a fan of the Sopranos.
[Reply]
Otter 09:43 AM 10-03-2021
David Chase Signs HBO Overall Deal, Opening Door to Potentially More ‘Sopranos’

The 'Sopranos' creator strikes a five-year deal to create new content for HBO Max.

Chase has inked a five-year, first-look deal with the company to develop content for HBO, HBO Max and Warner Bros. Pictures Group.

To be clear, there is no statement yet on what Chase’s new content might be. But the deal announcement coincides with Chase’s long-awaited Sopranos prequel movie, The Many Saints of Newark, hitting theaters and HBO Max. Chase said in a recent interview he “might” be open to making a sequel to the film, and Many Saints director Alan Taylor likewise told The Hollywood Reporter that Chase (pictured above on the set of Many Saints with Taylor) said “maybe” when asked about mining more content out of the New Jersey mob scene.

Many Saints primarily follows Tony Soprano’s uncle Dickie Moltisanti (Alessandro Nivola), while the film’s teenage Tony Soprano (Michael Gandolfini, son of the original show’s star James Gandolfini) is mainly an observer. The film’s conclusion leaves viewers with the impression that there could be more story that focuses on young Tony as he enters the world of organized crime.

“David Chase is one of the most gifted storytellers working in the film and television industry,” said Casey Bloys, chief content officer of HBO and HBO Max. “HBO has had a long and celebrated creative partnership with David, and this deal affords us a wonderful opportunity to continue this relationship at HBO and HBO Max.”

Added Toby Emmerich, chairman of Warner Bros. Pictures Group, “David has a singular voice and is a gifted writer and filmmaker. His work is pure and authentic, and highly compelling for a broad audience. The critical reception of The Many Saints of Newark speaks to David’s mastery of both film and television. We are thrilled to keep David in the Warner Bros. family.”

The Sopranos has enjoyed a resurgence in streaming popularity during the pandemic, with a younger generation of viewers discovering the series for the first time. The series premiered in 1999 and ran for six seasons. Many Saints is available now on HBO Max.
[Reply]
Easy 6 09:45 AM 10-03-2021
It's on HBO Max if you have that service (might be the best streaming service). That said, it feels like a major bait and switch. Aside from my other critiques about this being a race commentary, this also feels like a Dickie origin story, and not a Tony one. The whole thing is superfluous and unnecessary, and feels like a complete waste. I know folks criticized El Camino for being unnecessary to Breaking Bad, but this turns those sentiments up to an 11 for anyone that was a fan of the Sopranos.
You've effectively killed any interest I had in this, thanks a lot!!1
[Reply]
BigBeauford 09:49 AM 10-03-2021
You've effectively killed any interest I had in this, thanks a lot!!1
Sorry bud. Don't just take my word for it: it's getting slammed on IMDB and Rottentomatoes by user reviews.
[Reply]
Easy 6 10:01 AM 10-03-2021
Sorry bud. Don't just take my word for it: it's getting slammed on IMDB and Rottentomatoes by user reviews.
Thats a shame, definitely expected better from Chase
[Reply]
MTG#10 02:49 PM 10-03-2021
Thats a shame, definitely expected better from Chase
If you're a big Sopranos fan you should still give it a shot. This seems to be a love it or hate it movie with not much in between.
[Reply]
MTG#10 02:55 PM 10-03-2021
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx:
I think I get you. You are done seeing white people portrayed in a negative light and would like to see them portrayed in a positive light and standing up for the little guy.

If you want to see white people being kind to others and being uplifted as good people:
I don't need to see movies like that either, just anything that doesn't go out of its way to point out how evil white people are. If race relations are the main plot of the movie/show its one thing, but damn near every other thing I watch has to throw in subtle jabs that have nothing to do with the overall plot. I get it, we're all pieces of shit and we're the only race who's racist. :-)
[Reply]
Easy 6 02:57 PM 10-03-2021
If you're a big Sopranos fan you should still give it a shot. This seems to be a love it or hate it movie with not much in between.
I've watched every single episode at least once, huge fan

But if the story is primarily about Dickie Moltisanti, with a bunch of racial justice themes shoehorned in... I'll still watch it, but won't be in a big hurry to do so

When a liberal like Beauford is basically saying "the racial stuff seemed out of place and heavy handed" its probably pretty bad
[Reply]
Page 5 of 7
< 12345 67 >
Up