ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 34 of 34
« First < 243031323334
Nzoner's Game Room>Joe Thuney to the Chiefs
Dante84 02:08 PM 03-15-2021

Former #Patriots G Joe Thuney is getting a 5-year deal from Kansas City. First bombshell.

— NFL Update (@MySportsUpdate) March 15, 2021

������ https://t.co/wWf0RuxRZC

— Patrick Mahomes II (@PatrickMahomes) March 15, 2021

More details on Joe Thuney's 5-year, $80M deal with the Chiefs:
Signing bonus: $17M
Base salaries: $990K, $13.9M, $15M, $15.5M, $15.5M
Workout bonuses totaling $2.11M

That structure keeps Thuney's 2021 cap number at just $4.5M.

KC still has room to work with in free agency.

— Field Yates (@FieldYates) March 15, 2021

Originally Posted by TribalElder:

[Reply]
tredadda 09:09 AM 07-18-2023
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Ranked as the 2nd best IOL in football on ESPN's rankings from league personnel. The guy is Mitchell Schwartz, except he plays G. He's worth every penny. He's an iron man who is the same guy every game. An outstanding technical savant.
Plus he makes every LT we have look better.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:32 AM 07-18-2023
The good news, such as it is, about the possibility of extending Thuney would be that his contract re-set the market but then the market didn't really explode beyond it.

So yeah, Veach may have overpaid there if 2-3 years later he's still at the top of the market. Lindstrom's deal is pretty insane on paper but realistically it's about 4/$75 million. Nelson's deal is in a similar ballpark.

I dunno - I'm still not sure I'm all that enthusiastic about a $20 million guard and with the cap expansion, that's probably where he'd be headed.

With some of the moves we've made to spread his money out, cutting him next year only gains us about $9 million in cap space - I don't think I'd do that. Then the year after would gain you about $16 million.

For $9 million I keep him. For $16 in found space, it's a closer question. And an extension that starts when he's 34 years old? Eh...not sure that's something I'm willing to do.

Bruce Matthews was still kicking ass at 38/39 yrs old. Larry Allen's last great season was 34. Mike Munchak retired after his age 33 season. Will Shields peaked at 33 before retiring at 35.

He would probably still have 2-3 pretty good years in him (Yanda was still excellent through 35; Zack Martin seems to show no signs of slowing down at 32) but that's still a heck of a big investment in a guard.
[Reply]
Toad 10:46 AM 07-18-2023
Originally Posted by Dunerdr:
He's going to be exposed no matter what. He's got to see Myles Garret and T.J. Watt twice each.
That makes me smile
[Reply]
ModSocks 07-18-2023, 10:50 AM
This message has been deleted by ModSocks. Reason: SNR beat me to it.
O.city 11:07 AM 07-18-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
The good news, such as it is, about the possibility of extending Thuney would be that his contract re-set the market but then the market didn't really explode beyond it.

So yeah, Veach may have overpaid there if 2-3 years later he's still at the top of the market. Lindstrom's deal is pretty insane on paper but realistically it's about 4/$75 million. Nelson's deal is in a similar ballpark.

I dunno - I'm still not sure I'm all that enthusiastic about a $20 million guard and with the cap expansion, that's probably where he'd be headed.

With some of the moves we've made to spread his money out, cutting him next year only gains us about $9 million in cap space - I don't think I'd do that. Then the year after would gain you about $16 million.

For $9 million I keep him. For $16 in found space, it's a closer question. And an extension that starts when he's 34 years old? Eh...not sure that's something I'm willing to do.

Bruce Matthews was still kicking ass at 38/39 yrs old. Larry Allen's last great season was 34. Mike Munchak retired after his age 33 season. Will Shields peaked at 33 before retiring at 35.

He would probably still have 2-3 pretty good years in him (Yanda was still excellent through 35; Zack Martin seems to show no signs of slowing down at 32) but that's still a heck of a big investment in a guard.
I've just kinda come to the conclusion that.....well give me elite players and I'll pay them and move on.

Just not at RB.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 11:12 AM 07-18-2023
Originally Posted by O.city:
I've just kinda come to the conclusion that.....well give me elite players and I'll pay them and move on.

Just not at RB.
after the Bucs SB, won't fuck around rolling the dice anymore with OL talent
[Reply]
Balto 11:14 AM 07-18-2023

I could see an extension that's a little on the team friendly side that makes sure he retires in KC. On those lines Veach would of course have to have either LT or RT on a rookie deal.

After this season give him a 2 year extension that runs out in 2027. With that, Veach also spends our 1st rounder coming up on a OT that signs a 4 year rookie deal and will end the same time Joe's new extension deal ends. Thats when that rookie gets a new contract and Joe falls off the books and of course Veach already has Joe's cheap replacement ready to go!
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 12:14 PM 07-18-2023

Agree with all of this. Will also add that he was a brilliant signing by Veach.
[Reply]
Page 34 of 34
« First < 243031323334
Up