ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 43 of 2687
« First < 333940414243 4445464753931435431043 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The Patrick Mahomes Thread*****
Dante84 07:19 PM 04-27-2017
IT ****ING HAPPENED

OP UPDATE:

Because of all the interest in this thread, I've place all of the video content of Patrick Mahomes II's college career, and draft day goodness into a single post that can be found here. Enjoy!
[Reply]
threebag 10:25 AM 04-29-2017
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Facebook commenters are the armpit of the internet.

It's useless trying to fight a rising tide of raw sewage. Just let it wash over you, and ban a few turds once in awhile.
Ironic
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 11:08 AM 04-29-2017
Originally Posted by Hog Farmer:
Really, I think Reid /Dorsey moving up 17 spots in the 1st to take the guy says volumes. They obviously see something they think they can develop and it's well said by many that the arm talent is there but he needs to develop his footwork. Some analysts are already sending him to the pro bowl after a couple years under Reid.

Us Chief fans are just elated that our management is taking a shot to actually choose and develop a franchise QB.
That is the crux of the entire matter. These are two guys who do not make rash, willy-nilly decisions. The trade up was a product of full-fledged commitment and belief, not desperation.

There's a final tier/level of franchise in the NFL, and the Chiefs are headed toward it now.
[Reply]
DRM08 11:12 AM 04-29-2017
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
Just watched the Mahomes vs. LSU 2015 highlights. Unfreaking real the plays he made. Some of those throws on the run and evading defenders were almost too good to be true.
As a Tech alum/fan, this was the game that convinced me Pat could be a star in the NFL. Tech's offensive line was 110% outgunned by a LSU team loaded with NFL guys. Pat was pulling miracles to convert first downs and score points.

I encourage everyone here to watch the entire first 2.5 quarters before the game became a blowout. You will notice on just about every play, Tech's O-Line gets destroyed. Pat was scrambling for his life and somehow kept the game competitive for much longer than it should have been. Here is the full game link:

youtube.com/watch?v=dqis8hCp1gw
[Reply]
Eleazar 11:13 AM 04-29-2017
Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate:
That is the crux of the entire matter. These are two guys who do not make rash, willy-nilly decisions. The trade up was a product of full-fledged commitment and belief, not desperation.

There's a final tier/level of franchise in the NFL, and the Chiefs are headed toward it now.
At least we don't have to listen to the choads anymore who say Hunt isn't trying to win.
[Reply]
notorious 11:14 AM 04-29-2017
Originally Posted by Cochise:
At least we don't have to listen to the choads anymore who say Hunt isn't trying to win.
I don't think anyone really believed that.

If they did they need to remove themselves from the gene pool.
[Reply]
MahiMike 11:15 AM 04-29-2017
The more I read about this kid, the more I love this pick. Looks like the next Russell Wilson.
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 11:22 AM 04-29-2017
Originally Posted by DRM08:
As a Tech alum/fan, this was the game that convinced me Pat could be a star in the NFL. Tech's offensive line was 110% outgunned by a LSU team loaded with NFL guys. Pat was pulling miracles to convert first downs and score points.

I encourage everyone here to watch the entire first 2.5 quarters before the game became a blowout. You will notice on just about every play, Tech's O-Line gets destroyed. Pat was scrambling for his life and somehow kept the game competitive for much longer than it should have been. Here is the full game link:

Look, everyone! Look! A fan of OUR first round Quarterback has come to fellowship with us!
Good lord, things are already 110% better!

Welcome to CP, DRM08!

Originally Posted by Cochise:
True. It was a fun conspiracy theory but in the end, Clark destroyed the Hunt Doctrine for good.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 11:28 AM 04-29-2017
Originally Posted by DRM08:

Definitely, they had a lot NFL drafted talent on that LSU defense.

Welcome to CP!
[Reply]
ModSocks 11:32 AM 04-29-2017
Originally Posted by RodInCanton:
Not trying to start anything here but honest question (and don't want to read entire thread). Why do people think he will be any different from any other Texas Tech qb in recent history? Or more general from any air raid offense? These qbs put up ridiculous stats in college but never work out in the NFL. What makes Mahomes different?
I have no idea how he will turn out but personally I would shy away from any qb from an air raid offense if I was GM of a team.
When i watch Mahomes i don't think about his stats. Matter of fact, the only stat of his i actually know is the 734 yard oklahoma game because it's repeated so often. College production doesn't indicate much, unless numbers are abnormally low.

His stats in an Air Raid offense pretty much mean dick to me. That's not why I, and i assume others, like him.

When you watch every snap of his you'll notice he has some very pro, and "star" like traits.

1. Excellent pocket presence. He moves very well in the pocket and he has good athleticism. He's not going to just be arm tackled either. He has a strong base and he's able to wiggle free from the reach of rushers.

2. He keeps his eyes up field. He has numerous plays, some successful and some not, in which he's flushed out of the pocket and is still able to launch it downfield accurately. He hardly ever gives up on plays.

3. He's able to throw with velocity and accuracy with out having his feet under him. It's rare that you see a QB be successful when throwing w/o setting his feet. Mahomes is an exception to that rule. He's able to throw from multiple trajectory points, accurately and with velocity. You can't coach that.

We all watch and go, "wow, horrible footwork"...and then he launches a strike 50 yards downfield. He doesn't need perfect footwork to be successful.

AND more often that not, he does throw with his feet set. When not running for his life he moves in the pocket naturally, steps up, and makes the throw.

4. He has good energy around the LoS. He looks live, if you know what i mean. He plays with confidence and control. The game & situation doesn't look too big for him.

5. He's got the balls to make gutsy throws and the velocity to stick it into a tight window. It's an outstanding trait to have. It allows room for error. It allows for improvisation which is often needed during a play.

6. Improvisation. "Sandlot" ball is generally a term thrown around negatively, often times because it results in turnovers. But Mahomes actually has success with it. Because of his mobility, athleticism and arm strength, he has the ability to make plays when a play breaks down, which they often do in the NFL.

Bah, im ranting now. I could keep going, including with his negatives but....

TL;DR

**** his stats. His stats in the Air Raid system are a minor note when evaluating him. Look at what you see on the field. He has some outstanding traits that you'd want to see from the QB position. Traits that will translate well in the NFL.

The question is how will he A) become better at reading a defense B) get better at going through progressions.

You're not going to teach him to not throw INTs. You live with the INTs because they're part of his nature. And you're not going to change his footwork too much. That rarely works anyway.

**** im ranting again...
[Reply]
TigeRRUppeRRcut 11:36 AM 04-29-2017
The more film I watch the more convinced I am that they see him as a 2 year project. Bray is the #2 this season so for Mahomes to jump from #3 to #1 after one season seems like a reach. The 2018 cap situation looks fine when you look at who we may lose to free agency. We can save a lot of money losing guys like Jah Reid, Parker, Hali, DJ, and can easily afford to keep Smith by restructuring him and spreading that burden as a dead cap into 2019. Remains to be seen how we handle the Bailey situation who is set for an 8 million pay day too. We also won't be paying a salary for a 1st round pick in 2018.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 11:38 AM 04-29-2017
I'm not going to quote you, Detox, but you hit the nail on the head in so many ways.

I 'fell in love' with his tape before I ever knew that he had this crazy arm that produces 60+ mph passes. That never even registered in my mind at first.

I just loved what I was watching. The ability to evade rushers, keep his eyes up field, throw accurately on the run and throw from any and all platforms. I just felt like I was watching the closest thing to Aaron Rodgers at the college level.

And given the fact that he needs some molding to reach his ceiling and the fact that we can provide him all of these luxuries, it made all the sense in the world and then some to draft him.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 11:39 AM 04-29-2017
Originally Posted by TigerUppercut:
The more film I watch the more convinced I am that they see him as a 2 year project. Bray is the #2 this season so for Mahomes to jump from #3 to #1 after one season seems like a reach. The 2018 cap situation looks fine when you look at who we may lose to free agency. We can save a lot of money losing guys like Jah Reid, Parker, Hali, DJ, and can easily afford to keep Smith by restructuring him and spreading that burden as a dead cap into 2019. Remains to be seen how we handle the Bailey situation who is set for an 8 million pay day too. We also won't be paying a salary for a 1st round pick in 2018.
They didn't trade up 17 spots for a 2-year project, bud. Alex has 2017 and that's it, odds likely around 95%.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 11:40 AM 04-29-2017
Originally Posted by TigerUppercut:
we can easily afford to keep Smith by restructuring him and spreading that burden as a dead cap into 2019.
You delusional prick. Smith's last year in KC is 2017. He's DEAD FUCKING MEAT, headed for the NFL garbage heap. GOOD RIDDANCE.
[Reply]
DRM08 11:45 AM 04-29-2017
I'm not going to quote you, Detox, but you hit the nail on the head in so many ways.

I 'fell in love' with his tape before I ever knew that he had this crazy arm that produces 60+ mph passes. That never even registered in my mind at first.

I just loved what I was watching. The ability to evade rushers, keep his eyes up field, throw accurately on the run and throw from any and all platforms. I just felt like I was watching the closest thing to Aaron Rodgers at the college level.

And given the fact that he needs some molding to reach his ceiling and the fact that we can provide him all of these luxuries, it made all the sense in the world and then some to draft him.
A lot of Tech people were nervous when he declared for the Draft, hoping he didn't end up in a "play immediately" situation like the Browns or other bad organizations. He definitely is not ready for that kind of scenario.

Mahomes got very fortunate to end up with the Chiefs. He now has time to work on the flaws in his game while learning how to succeed against much much much better defenses than anything he has ever seen.

On another note, Tech's other QB in the draft Davis Webb ended up in a good situation too. Both of the Tech guys will get a chance to learn behind good veteran QB's. Webb is not as talented as Pat, but he has the size and arm to succeed at the NFL level (59 mph at the Combine, only 1 mph behind Pat).

Meanwhile, karma has struck against DeShone Kizer. Arrogant SOB compared himself to Brady and claimed he makes better throws than anyone in the Draft while completing 58% of his passes. GTFO. He struggled to complete even the simplest passes at the Combine. Cleveland Browns scenario is exactly what Kizer deserved.
[Reply]
TigeRRUppeRRcut 11:47 AM 04-29-2017
They didn't trade up 17 spots for a 2-year project, bud. Alex has 2017 and that's it, odds likely around 95%.
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
You delusional prick. Smith's last year in KC is 2017. He's DEAD ****ING MEAT, headed for the NFL garbage heap. GOOD RIDDANCE.
According to who? You just don't hand the keys to the car over to a 22 year old who went 0-8 against ranked opponents because you are looking to save some money at the cost of going from 12-13 wins to 7-9 wins. Mahomes' mechanics and decision-making need a ton of work, still needs to learn the offense ..so one year isn't going to cut it. Unless Dorsey is complacent with 2018 being an experimental year, the goal is to go into 2019 with a seamless transition without giving up control of the division.
[Reply]
Page 43 of 2687
« First < 333940414243 4445464753931435431043 > Last »
Up