ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 9
« First < 23456 789 >
Media Center>Black Panther 2: Wakanda Forever (2022)
Tribal Warfare 09:04 PM 07-23-2022

[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 05:05 PM 11-11-2022
Just saw the movie. It's long, almost 3 hours. Not as good as the first one but I loved the first movie. Still good once it gets going though.

Spoiler!

[Reply]
ThaVirus 05:53 PM 11-11-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I'm still just a little curious why this franchise isn't seen as comically racist.

I mean the protagonists ride safari creatures, speak in clicks and grunts and literally throw spears.

I just can't wrap my mind around the 'black empowerment' angle here. Many of them are super racist caricatures.

But shit, I'm a suburbanite cracker so what do I know?

It just strikes me as those really effeminate pre-op trannies who have these way over the top female mannerisms; a dude acting the way he thinks women behave. I can't figure out why women don't see that as SUPER offensive yet, most don't seem to.

{shrug} Not my sandbox...

This is true, and it was all very cringey, IMO.

Black people ate it up, though, so it did its job.

I remember in theaters when B Jordan's character asked the museum curator if her people paid a fair price for the Wakandan artifact and some black lady near me was like "That's RIGHT!" lol felt like I was in some southern baptism church with that and all the "Mhmm!"s.

And then Killmonger's dying line about dying like all of his ancestors who decided to jump overboard off the slave ships instead of living in slavery... while he was obviously descended from mfers who didn't jump overboard.

My sister thought that line was so profound. I'm like, bitch, OUR ancestors clearly didn't jump overboard or we wouldn't be here!
[Reply]
Spott 09:00 PM 11-11-2022
Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat:
Just saw the movie. It's long, almost 3 hours. Not as good as the first one but I loved the first movie. Still good once it gets going though.

Spoiler!
It was pretty good. The only spoiler I’ll let out is that there is only one mid credit scene so you don’t have to wait through all the credits.
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 09:13 PM 11-11-2022
Originally Posted by Spott:
It was pretty good. The only spoiler I’ll let out is that there is only one mid credit scene so you don’t have to wait through all the credits.
I meant to say that but I forgot. I really liked the mid credit scene as well.
[Reply]
Wallcrawler 01:51 PM 11-12-2022
Originally Posted by BigRichard:
Hell the first one was completely overrated. It wasn't bad or anything, it was just not nearly as great as everyone tried to make it out to be.
Black Panther was huge, in my opinion, because it was the first really big movie since Blade, whose R rated horror and violence really narrowed the target audience, featuring a non tokenized, badass black superhero in King T'Challa.

For years, we've seen marginalized groups that aren't represented, get handed tokenized versions of established white superheroes.

Here. Have a Black Spider Man. Here, now Sam Wilson is a Black Captain America, when he was already totally legit badass as Falcon. This Black Captain America shit is a demotion for Falcon, IMO.

Nobody cared to put the effort in and create an ethnic superhero that was original, or to give the spotlight to already established badass ethnic superheroes that exist.

They just race swapped big names and expected that to placate the masses.

Black Panther was an all audience friendly, decades established badass black superhero. A member of the Avengers, given a huge budget for his own movie. Not some half-assed race swapped superhero.

It was a great film. I really liked it up to the point where they killed off Killmonger. Such a huge mistake. Great character portrayed by a great actor that could have given a big lift to future films.

I have not seen Wakanda Forever, and I likely won't, because I've seen several reviews that said it just didn't work and T'challa really needed to be recast.

T'challa should have been recast. He's too big of a character in terms of just straight cool factor, and way too important in terms of a non tokenized original black superhero just being deleted because the actor who played him passed away. You just can't do that shit.

Chadwick Boseman died. It sucks. That doesn't mean you kill off T'Challa.

We've had another Joker since Ledger. Wasn't as good, but you don't just stop portrayals of the character because one actor died.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 08:43 PM 11-12-2022
Black Panther in Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes was awesome.

Of course, that whole series was awesome.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 08:48 PM 11-12-2022
Originally Posted by Fish:
Yeah, I got that vibe as well. If I remember correctly, that was discussed a bit in the thread for the first one. I found it particularly silly that Wakanda is super technologically advanced, yet they choose their ruler by tribal hand to hand combat. And when the new ruler immediately turns into a ruthless dictator wanting to dominate the globe, they just shrugged like "Thems the rules."
I actually kind of enjoyed the mixture of technologically advanced while holding to ancient tribal beliefs.

The Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon touched upon the dynamic and how Black Panther handled both beliefs. Which was important because Iron Man and Thor went after each other science versus tradition.

The thing hokey about Wakanda when you think about is how they are supposed to be this symbol of African strength yet they were completely silent when Africa was divided up by colonies. Yet the movie played the whole colonies/Europeans bad.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 08:49 PM 11-12-2022
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Sorry, but this was going to have a high RT critics score regardless of quality.

I'm very skeptical that they pull this off without T'Challa.
Seriously. Critics don't want the mob coming after them.
[Reply]
Stryker 09:05 PM 11-12-2022
Hmmm, SUCKED! Tried to cram too much into this movie with not enough time to justify. PASS!
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 09:13 PM 11-12-2022
Originally Posted by Carr4MVP:
Black Panther in Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes was awesome.

Of course, that whole series was awesome.
That show was so great. It's a shame that Disney killed it. Avengers Assemble wasn't near as good.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 09:29 PM 11-12-2022
That show was so great. It's a shame that Disney killed it. Avengers Assemble wasn't near as good.
It was amazing. The writing was great. The voice acting was superb. How they would drop little hints that would pay off episodes later.
[Reply]
Bowser 09:40 PM 11-12-2022
Originally Posted by Carr4MVP:
It was amazing. The writing was great. The voice acting was superb. How they would drop little hints that would pay off episodes later.
Not Marvel, but another show that can be added to the list of shows that were shot down for no good reason was Young Justice. Loved that show, from the animation to the storyline to the voice acting. It was superb but got flushed like a rotten turd. They may have brought it back for a season or two on Hulu (maybe), but I never heard any reviews of how it was.
[Reply]
CoMoChief 04:00 AM 11-14-2022
Wasn't bad. About as good as the first one.

It was better than Thor and Dr Strange 2, but that's setting the bar pretty low.
[Reply]
Barret 09:25 AM 11-14-2022
I haven't seen this film but saw the first one. Where everyone was going gaga about "its the first black superhero movie!!!" I was like, hey it was a good regular superhero movie that followed the normal MCU scripting for superheroes. Boseman I think played a good super hero and I liked him a bit more in Civil War but it was a good flick.

I think Nerdtronic nailed some of the issues you guys have presented as far as a they should have re-cast T'Challa and some M She U problems. They have to shoehorn "Riri Williams" in here so as to promote the "IronHeart" show later on. Also if you watch the video, the whole way they tried to promote the movie is just super cringy and I dont think plays well to any audience.

[Reply]
Mile High Mania 10:11 AM 11-14-2022
I watched it and it wasn't bad, but it's one of the few that I would likely not watch again. MCU has lost the 'edge' of the original movies.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 9
« First < 23456 789 >
Up