ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Media Center>Jordan Peeles NOPE 2022
Pepe Silvia 12:59 PM 05-02-2022
I didn’t see a thread for this so I wanted to start one so we can discuss Jordan Peeles upcoming Summer film NOPE. I have to say it looks intriguing.

Starring Daniel Kaluuya and Keke Palmer

[Reply]
Pepe Silvia 01:28 PM 12-09-2022
Originally Posted by Rausch:
Is it on a streaming site for free or still a rental?

I've gotten the 50/50 reviews from people and I'm just going to watch it and decide for myself.
I had to get it on RedBox.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 05:50 PM 12-09-2022
Originally Posted by Rausch:
Is it on a streaming site for free or still a rental?

I've gotten the 50/50 reviews from people and I'm just going to watch it and decide for myself.
Currently on Peacock streaming. Just watched it last night. While I enjoyed "Get Out"... I found myself more confused than anything else in regards to "Nope".

It wasn't a bad movie. It was an interesting premise but I won't be watching it again. I will, though, watch the next film by Peele and see what he offers.
[Reply]
ModSocks 02:57 PM 12-14-2022
I watched it finally.

I'm a fan of Peele's story telling and videography, so maybe im biased here.

I enjoyed it. Not exactly what i thought it'd be and i'm fine with that. The cinemetography was excellent, the homage it paid to classics such as King Kong and War of the Worlds. Tons of easter eggs in there. Creature creation was very, very unique.

Tons of well thought out foreshadowing that's very subtle and you don't even realize until the film ends.

And like all Peele movies, there's a lot more to digest after the movie than just the 1.5 hour of the obvious on screen stuff.

There's a few narratives to be found in this movie that go beyond the surface level shit, such as the arrogance of man trying to tame wild animals (hence the entire reason for the chimp back story as well as the focal point on horses). Or the concept of a "bad miracle", a theme seen throughout the movie.

He completely borrowed from the Travis the Chimp ordeal with the girl with the mangled face etc. I thought that was well done too. A subtle nod to those who were unaware of Travis the Chimp, not so subtle if you knew the story going into the movie.

If you're looking for a more traditional horror movie with your more cliche UFO content, then yeah this aint it. If you went into this movie expecting cliched horror and common UFO tropes, then i can see why this movie would sour on some people.

But if you're looking for something more original, beautifully shot, and has a few deeper messages you could take from it, and if you love easter-egg type foreshadowing, then i would highly recommend this.
[Reply]
ModSocks 02:58 PM 12-14-2022
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx:
I found myself more confused than anything else in regards to "Nope".
Such as?
[Reply]
ThaVirus 03:18 PM 12-14-2022
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Such as?
You didn't ask me, but we learn basically nothing of the monster throughout the movie.

Is it an alien? A terrestrial creature? How long has it been here?
[Reply]
ModSocks 04:05 PM 12-14-2022
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
You didn't ask me, but we learn basically nothing of the monster throughout the movie.
Are we suppose to? The story follows a pair of horse trainers who are attempting to make it big by documenting this "thing" that has been hunting in their ranch. Why would they or the film maker involved have any insight as to what this this thing is or where it came from?

I don't think an origin story for "Jean Jacket" (the name of the creature) fits in anywhere in this movie. Doesn't really make any sense. If it's known, then they wouldn't be inspired to be the first people to document one. And the ending of the movie would also lose all significance. They'd have to completely change the end of the movie.

Is it an alien? A terrestrial creature? How long has it been here?
Well, the story is inspired by Skin Walker Ranch. No doubt about that. And the Father, early on, speaks on the land having a long history of "super natural" (IIRC) events. The Tech guy refers to it as a UAP. Peele took the typical flying saucer and turned into a living, breathing organic creature. OJ, the main character, called it a territorial predator.

And we also know that it's at their ranch because
Spoiler!

And lastly, it's been rumored that "NOPE" actually stands for Not Of Planet Earth. /shrug
[Reply]
ModSocks 04:11 PM 12-14-2022
Anyone notice the chapter titles? Each chapter title was the name of an animal who would ultimately die in that chapter. That's that subtle Peele shit that adds to the engagement of his movies.
[Reply]
ModSocks 04:36 PM 12-14-2022
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Already have my tickets for Saturday night.

Love how the name is also an acronym for Not Of Planet Earth.
Oh. Well there you go.
[Reply]
BigRichard 09:35 AM 12-15-2022
Just seemed dumb to both my wife and myself. Peele seems to get worse with each movie.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 11:29 AM 12-15-2022
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Are we suppose to? The story follows a pair of horse trainers who are attempting to make it big by documenting this "thing" that has been hunting in their ranch. Why would they or the film maker involved have any insight as to what this this thing is or where it came from?

I don't think an origin story for "Jean Jacket" (the name of the creature) fits in anywhere in this movie. Doesn't really make any sense. If it's known, then they wouldn't be inspired to be the first people to document one. And the ending of the movie would also lose all significance. They'd have to completely change the end of the movie.

Well, the story is inspired by Skin Walker Ranch. No doubt about that. And the Father, early on, speaks on the land having a long history of "super natural" (IIRC) events. The Tech guy refers to it as a UAP. Peele took the typical flying saucer and turned into a living, breathing organic creature. OJ, the main character, called it a territorial predator.

And we also know that it's at their ranch because
Spoiler!

And lastly, it's been rumored that "NOPE" actually stands for Not Of Planet Earth. /shrug
This post is a bit contradictory because you admit that it was known. The Asian dude nearby had showed it to numerous people and the father said there had been tons of supernatural activity.

I'd have appreciated some lore on the creature.

I understand not everyone likes exposition dumps and many people enjoy monsters to be shrouded in mystery, but people like me and the dude who said he had more questions probably feel similarly.
[Reply]
ModSocks 11:48 AM 12-15-2022
This post is a bit contradictory because you admit that it was known. The Asian dude nearby had showed it to numerous people and the father said there had been tons of supernatural activity.
The Asian dude hadn't shown it to anyone yet. He knew it existed, and we the viewers are to know that he was feeding it OJ's horses based on the facts that A) He played coy when OJ went to him to buy back the 10 horses he previously sold him (because he fed them to the monster), and B) the obvious horse in the cage used at the event to unveil him.

OJ and his sister had no idea the Asian dude was aware of it until those kids showed up to spook them at their ranch. Hence what kicked off their sudden push to film it, to beat him to the punch of documenting it.

But there was no way the Asian dude was going to know anything about the creature other than it existed.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 06:38 AM 12-16-2022
This was well done. Directing is what he was meant to do.
[Reply]
Pepe Silvia 11:23 AM 08-03-2023
Jean Jacket was pretty damn brutal.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up