ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3770 of 3903
« First < 2770327036703720376037663767376837693770 3771377237733774378038203870 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
neech 01:01 PM 10-15-2021
My friend I work with is a very healthy 41 year old lady that didn't get vaccinated has been out five weeks for Covid which turned to pneumonia.

She will be back to work on Monday thankfully. She says she's going to try to convince others that she knows to vaccinate because the Covid is real she says.

I can't stress enough all her healthy eating and exercise habits she did routinely and she said it wiped her out physically.
[Reply]
DaFace 01:05 PM 10-15-2021
Originally Posted by stanleychief:
Looks like the J&J vaccine got the green light from the FDA regarding boosters.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/15/healt...day/index.html

Big takeaways from the article:
  • Johnson & Johnson says studies have shown boosting at two or six months can bring that effectiveness up to 94%
  • Effectiveness does not wane over time in the same way that effectiveness from Pfizer's vaccine does
  • Various studies suggested real-world efficacy of J&J's vaccine was anywhere between 50% and 68%
Excellent. About time we got some guidance. Sorry it came a little too late to help you.

And now we wait for the official recommendation.
[Reply]
dlphg9 01:20 PM 10-15-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Excellent. About time we got some guidance. Sorry it came a little too late to help you.

My fiance and I both got the J&J, before I read the article I'll just ask, did they recommend getting a booster of the J&J and that will bring effectiveness up to 94? Also it doesn't wane? Count me in! I had absolutely no side effects from it, but my fiance's arm had a lump in it for awhile.
[Reply]
DaFace 01:23 PM 10-15-2021
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
My fiance and I both got the J&J, before I read the article I'll just ask, did they recommend getting a booster of the J&J and that will bring effectiveness up to 94? Also it doesn't wane? Count me in! I had absolutely no side effects from it, but my fiance's arm had a lump in it for awhile.
From the article:

Originally Posted by :
Johnson & Johnson says studies have shown boosting at two or six months can bring that effectiveness up to 94% and it says its effectiveness does not wane over time in the same way that effectiveness from Pfizer's vaccine does.
So in theory it should bring effectiveness up to the level of the other two. Note that this is just the advisory panel. The FDA has to then make a recommendation, and then the CDC has to weigh in. It's entirely possible that it will be toned down like the others have (e.g., only for high risk). I'm guessing that it'll be approved for everyone 18+, though, given the relatively low effectiveness otherwise.

I can't say I'm looking forward to it. It laid me on my ass for about 36 hours last time. But I'd definitely feel a little better being in crowded areas with it.
[Reply]
dlphg9 02:01 PM 10-15-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:

[Reply]
TLO 09:19 AM 10-16-2021
You love to see it

Last updated: October 16, 2021 at 10:06 a.m.

Current inpatients: 10 total (St. Joseph – 10, Maryville – 0, Albany – 0)
[Reply]
jdubya 11:25 AM 10-16-2021
Funny, I’ve had to show “proof” of vax several times the last couple weeks when going to restaurants and I have found that if you just open your photos on your phone and hold it up I just get waived through. Nobody to date has actually looked at my photo……..until yesterday. Wife and I went to a movie theatre and they asked for my vax photo. I pull up a vax photo and then they ask for my ID to actually see if it matches. Ok, I show my DL and they let me in. Funny though, I take care of my parents and am in charge of their doctors appointments etc. I had actually showed them a picture of my dads vax card but gave them my DL and they didn’t see that the first names were very different. Good try though :-)
[Reply]
Katipan 04:37 PM 10-16-2021
That must have felt good.
Fuck those teenagers working at theaters.
Dumbasses.
[Reply]
jdubya 07:07 PM 10-16-2021
Originally Posted by Katipan:
That must have felt good.
**** those teenagers working at theaters.
Dumbasses.
Presumtive dumbass.......I`m vaccinated and thought I was showing my card.....it was after I realized it was my dads card. I don't think you got the point.....I typed a little slower this time for you.
[Reply]
Katipan 07:14 PM 10-16-2021
Originally Posted by jdubya:
Presumtive dumbass.......I`m vaccinated and thought I was showing my card.....it was after I realized it was my dads card. I don't think you got the point.....I typed a little slower this time for you.
I understood. I also understood that you felt so good about getting one over on them that you posted that wall of self satisfied doucheburger.

I could type more words if it helps.
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 08:16 PM 10-16-2021
Originally Posted by stanleychief:
So I got a call from the county health department today. They do follow up on 'breakthrough' (sick after vaccinated) cases, so my data does get reported back up to the CDC. Also, they save any swabs that test positive, and run further analysis if the cases are considered unusual. Since mine is a breakthrough case, it will be further analyzed.

For those curious, this is day 7 since I had my first onset of symptoms. In order, I've had: dry cough, fever, loss of taste, fatigue, dizziness, loss of smell, and now congestion. I feel quite a bit better today, and am hopeful that this thing is on its way out. I recovered my sense of taste the same day that I lost it. It was really odd, because all I could taste was salt. I still can't smell anything, which is a really odd experience. Tried bleach, lemon, vinegar, etc. Nada.
Dang. Hope you feel better and get the smell back soon.
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 08:20 PM 10-16-2021
Originally Posted by neech:
My friend I work with is a very healthy 41 year old lady that didn't get vaccinated has been out five weeks for Covid which turned to pneumonia.

She will be back to work on Monday thankfully. She says she's going to try to convince others that she knows to vaccinate because the Covid is real she says.

I can't stress enough all her healthy eating and exercise habits she did routinely and she said it wiped her out physically.
Glad they are getting better and changed their mind. I have a friend that missed 3 weeks of work and not vaccinated yet now he's all well I'm naturally immune now so I don't need it still bullshit. Thought being horribly sick would've changed his mind. Nope. His wife and kid got it as well. They have no plans to get vaccinated even after a few months.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 06:07 AM 10-17-2021
Originally Posted by Sure-Oz:
Glad they are getting better and changed their mind. I have a friend that missed 3 weeks of work and not vaccinated yet now he's all well I'm naturally immune now so I don't need it still bullshit. Thought being horribly sick would've changed his mind. Nope. His wife and kid got it as well. They have no plans to get vaccinated even after a few months.
Are you one of the science deniers on infection acquired immunity?

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-...overy-covid-19

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41392-021-00777-z

The science shows people are pretty well protected after recovery.
[Reply]
suzzer99 11:49 AM 10-19-2021

Meet Elisabeth Bik, a professional science detective dedicated to rooting out errors & misinformation in studies and papers. Lately she's been focused on COVID research — & become the target of trolling from scientists she's called out. @stephaniemlee https://t.co/1LcfuflVmY

— Ken Bensinger (@kenbensinger) October 19, 2021

Originally Posted by :
Days after a mysterious new illness was declared a pandemic last March, a prominent scientist in France announced that he had already found a cure.

Based on a small clinical trial, microbiologist Didier Raoult claimed that hydroxychloroquine, a decades-old antimalarial drug, was part of a 100% effective treatment against COVID-19. Then–US president Donald Trump promptly proclaimed that the finding could be “one of the biggest game changers in the history of medicine.”

But the study seemed off to Elisabeth Bik, a scientist turned science detective living in Silicon Valley. Bik has a sharp eye for spotting errors buried in arcane scientific papers, particularly when it comes to duplicated images. And much about Raoult’s paper looked fishy, as she later noted on her blog. Unfavorable data was left out, and the trial’s timeline was mathematically impossible. “Something does not seem quite right,” she wrote.

Before long, Bik would learn the price of raising such concerns. Raoult and a coauthor went on to call her a “witch hunter,” a “mercenary,” and a “crazy woman” on Twitter and in the press. Then, in April 2021, Raoult’s collaborator announced that they had filed a criminal complaint against Bik and a spokesperson for PubPeer, a website where she and others post scientific criticism, accusing them of blackmail, extortion, and harassment. He tweeted out a screenshot of the complaint, revealing her home address to the world.

These were the most direct threats Bik had ever received for identifying problems in scientific research — an activity she sees as integral to science. Alarmed, she tweeted a plea: “I could use some legal help.”
Originally Posted by :
One of the study's most outspoken detractors was James Heathers, a longtime data detective. He believes that many are taking advantage of the pandemic to build their personal brands. “There are people in science who think basically any crisis is an opportunity, anything that becomes a topic du jour is something they should chase,” he said, adding that he wasn’t referring to anyone in particular. “A lot of COVID work is an extension of that same mentality” — that is, “maximally flashy and minimally insightful.”
Originally Posted by :
But Raoult, it seems, is not quite ready to move on. Just last week, he said in a YouTube video that the people who made “attempts to blacklist us on scientific journals ... will have to be arrested … including Madame Bik,” according to a translation that Bik shared on Twitter. She quickly locked her account to, she said, “prevent the next wave of insults, jail threats, and death wishes from reaching me.” Retirement would have to wait another day.
Can't trust 99.x% of the world's top virologists, epidemiologists and medical researchers, but can trust charlatans like this guy and his skull ring.

[Reply]
jdubya 12:42 PM 10-19-2021
Originally Posted by Katipan:
I understood. I also understood that you felt so good about getting one over on them that you posted that wall of self satisfied doucheburger.

I could type more words if it helps.
OK, you get a rep for the phrase "self satisfied doucheburger". I want to borrow that elsewhere sometime. :-)
[Reply]
Page 3770 of 3903
« First < 2770327036703720376037663767376837693770 3771377237733774378038203870 > Last »
Up