ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1015 of 3903
« First < 15515915965100510111012101310141015 101610171018101910251065111515152015 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
DaFace 08:13 AM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Recoveries is the the 2nd MOST meaningful number.

Deaths it the most critical, but recoveries is the only thing that suggests any sort of legitimate march forward.

Any legitimate plan forward, any real consideration of 'flattening the curve' - should be focused on surges in recovery rates while trying to keep deaths as small as possible. If any of these therapeutic treatments prove viable, it will be reflected in a shortened lag time on recovery rates and significantly increased numbers in them.

The idea that recovery figures are meaningless is absurd. That's the one metric that can provide signs of progress.
If it was good data, I would agree. It's not anything close to good data.
[Reply]
SuperBowl4 08:15 AM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by SuperBowl4:
http://medindia.net/patients/calcula...eath-clock.asp
WORLD DEATH CLOCK
COVID-19 Deaths updated daily from all countries around the world. Currently at 48,284
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 08:15 AM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
You should leave economic discussions to the experts, FYI.
I'm not speaking about economic impacts at all, rather, your misery fetish that is plainly obvious to anyone that has read more than two of your posts on any subject.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:16 AM 04-02-2020

Deaths it the most critical, but recoveries is the only thing that suggests any sort of legitimate march forward.

Any legitimate plan forward, any real consideration of 'flattening the curve' - should be focused on surges in recovery rates while trying to keep deaths as small as possible. If any of these therapeutic treatments prove viable, it will be reflected in a shortened lag time on recovery rates and significantly increased numbers in them.

The idea that recovery figures are meaningless is absurd. That's the one metric that can provide signs of progress.
^
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:16 AM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
If it was good data, I would agree. It's not anything close to good data.
None of it is.

If you're gonna say "I don't care about recoveries because I don't trust the data" then I hope you've never once bothered to look into the number of confirmed cases either. Because that's working from an even shakier data set.

Its a completely inconsistent viewpoint.
[Reply]
Monticore 08:17 AM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
So now they are saying masks only prevent you from spreading it not necessarily getting it.
It has been a know fact for a while , unless you are wearing a fitted n95 with eye protection, masks are better to avoid infected people from spreading it.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:17 AM 04-02-2020
None of it is.

If you're gonna say "I don't care about recoveries because I don't trust the data" then I hope you've never once bothered to look into the number of confirmed cases either. Because that's working from an even shakier data set.

Its a completely inconsistent viewpoint.
Nope. I pretty much care about hospitalizations and deaths. All the rest is noise.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 08:18 AM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
It has been a know fact for a while , unless you are wearing a fitted n95 with eye protection, masks are better to avoid infected people from spreading it.
This is not entirely accurate. There are numerous studies that demonstrate plain medical masks afford significant protection to the user. While N-95 masks are superior, medical masks are themselves also protective.
[Reply]
Donger 08:22 AM 04-02-2020
So now they are saying masks only prevent you from spreading it not necessarily getting it.
:-)
[Reply]
Monticore 08:22 AM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
This is not entirely accurate. There are numerous studies that demonstrate plain medical masks afford significant protection to the user. While N-95 masks are superior, medical masks are themselves also protective.
Used correctly , but the average user isn’t going to change often enough , or not touch it or move it , taking it off the Back on , letting get moist or soiled , gives people false sense of security and they don’t wash there hands as often. Is it better than nothing yes it can be. Would also need eye protection as well.
[Reply]
SAUTO 08:24 AM 04-02-2020
Because people like to hear good news too???? If they are so meaningless then why do we care about how many people have died?
are you fucking serious here?
[Reply]
Bearcat 08:25 AM 04-02-2020

I can see the value in 'treated' patients versus 'recovered' and whether you're able to treat them and get them out the door faster than they're coming in... versus the sheer number of people who have come down with it and recovered.

AFAIK though, it's still just "you probably have it, stay home"... or if you test positive it's "you have it and need to quarantine", and I don't see much use in those stats.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 08:30 AM 04-02-2020

What the hell did you think was going to happen? When you tell a country of 350 million people to simply stay home, you really think you can avoid 100+ million of them losing their jobs? We're a service economy and when you combine the collapse of service industry jobs w/ the shuttering of significant industrial components of our economy, how the hell did you not expect at least 20% unemployment over any sort of timeline?

There is NO clean path through this. It doesn't exist. Anyone that is still sitting around acting like "JUST STAY HOME!" is some simple, clean, effective long-term plan to getting through this is simply lying to themselves and they have been from the very beginning.

It isn't about valuing money over lives. It isn't about 'not taking this seriously'. It's about having a clear-eyed view of this thing. The 'peak' in April is almost certainly temporary. It'll peak....briefly. Then just like the Spanish flu before it, there will be a secondary wave of infections that will be as bad or worse and it will take aim at a population you've already crippled.

Because nobody is keeping their eyes on an end game or even attempting to formulate one. They are just waiting for a cavalry to show up that almost certainly isn't coming.
Stfu... I'm just saying that is a large number not saying I didn't expect it.

Mr 'Lets not practice social distancing because the economy is more important!' You ain't saying that shit now are you? Acting like you are perfect with your predictions.
[Reply]
SAUTO 08:31 AM 04-02-2020

no 1 :most of the cases havent even had time to recover.

no.2: we always knew that the recovery numbers would far outpace the deaths, so there's no reason to make such a big deal about them. those people still get to live their life.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 08:31 AM 04-02-2020
Well no shit.

Why anyone still thinks that merely locking everything down for a month or two months or even three months is going to stop this thing is just completely beyond me.

That isn't how an endemic disease works, fellas.

Who claimed it would?
[Reply]
Page 1015 of 3903
« First < 15515915965100510111012101310141015 101610171018101910251065111515152015 > Last »
Up