ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 61 of 333
« First < 11515758596061 6263646571111161 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official 2023 Royals Season Repository Thread***
ChiefsCountry 12:02 AM 01-01-2023


2023 – A new beginning for the Royals. Matt Quatraro era begins. A year to see which of our young players will make up the core going forward. Can Bobby Witt Jr become a superstar SS or will go to the hot corner? Will Brady Singer take the next step forward? Will Salvy be Salvy? Will Big Vin or Pratto take first base? Will they find a position for MJ? Who else emerges from the youth movement? Not to mention the development of the new downtown stadium.

Free Agents/Trades Acquisitions
Jordan Lyles, RHP
Ryan Yarbrough, LHP
Josh Taylor, LHP
Aroldis Chapman, LHP

Top 10 Prospects from Baseball America
1. Gavin Cross, OF
2. Cayden Wallace, 3B
3. Drew Waters, OF
4. Ben Kudrna, RHP
5. Frank Mozzicato, LHP
6. Maikel Garcia, SS
7. Tyler Gentry, OF
8. Nick Loftin, OF/3B
9. Angel Zerpa, LHP
10. Carter Jensen, C
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 05:53 PM 04-15-2023
The attendance the past 5 years is abysmal. I know that it’s become a less contributor of revenue over the years, perhaps 30-40% (?) of revenue. But man The Shermanator has to be wondering if he’ll draw flies in this market without a winning team

It’s a vicious cycle. And yeah I know Tampa does it. But.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 05:55 PM 04-15-2023
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Man, I took a look and what I can find may mean that pitchers are getting hurt more. It may just be that there is an initial boom of players added to the IL at the beginning of the new year, so if that's the case, then ignore what I'm about to write.

So far in 2023 there have been 141 pitchers added to the IL and we have only played 13 games. 2020 kinda makes me think that there a large amount of players on IL come at the beginning of the year. These are the IL numbers for pitchers by year

2022 - 427
2021 - 489
2020 - 272 (60 game season)
2019 - 313
2018 - 340
2017 - 295
2016 - 273
2015 - 240

After the COVID year we see a huge uptick in injuries. I was wondering if a lack offseason activities was the reason for the injuries. First we had COVID that kept people from getting together and then we had the lockout. I'm interested to see what the final injury numbers look like at the end of the year, since it'll be the first normal off-season since 2019.
They got the jab.
[Reply]
lewdog 05:56 PM 04-15-2023
The Braves as damn good. And it makes us look even more pathetic.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 07:14 PM 04-15-2023
Originally Posted by lewdog:
The Braves as damn good. And it makes us look even more pathetic.
I have a man crush on the Braves like Mecca does with the Padres.
[Reply]
Tylerthigpen!1! 07:30 PM 04-15-2023
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
They got the jab.
There's actually some pretty interesting research on the correlation between injury and how kids nowadays specialize in baseball instead of baseball + 3 other sports.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 07:49 PM 04-15-2023
Originally Posted by Tylerthigpen!1!:
There's actually some pretty interesting research on the correlation between injury and how kids nowadays specialize in baseball instead of baseball + 3 other sports.
It's brutal what kids get put through these days. Recovery and long term health is thrown out the window to win some meaningless youth game. I blame the parents for not advocating more for their kids.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 07:58 PM 04-15-2023
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
The attendance the past 5 years is abysmal. I know that itís become a less contributor of revenue over the years, perhaps 30-40% (?) of revenue. But man The Shermanator has to be wondering if heíll draw flies in this market without a winning team

Itís a vicious cycle. And yeah I know Tampa does it. But.
You're not wrong. While the Braves are a good team, it's rather cliche to write-off losses by crediting the other team with being good. The Royals time-honored business strategy has been to play on the heart-strings of good midwest people. From "we're lucky to have a team", to "well it's a small market", to "there's no salary cap in the MLB", there have been any number of reasons (a.k.a. excuses) offered for being the embarrassment to the league. They don't look to compete year in and year out, they look for that once in a couple of decades random chances of good youth talent and a few decent veterans giving them a run toward glory. They will ride this business model until it doesn't work.

Hopefully we get a new downtown stadium out of the deal as an act of good will and some sort of promise for the system they're trying this time to actually work. I think it's some stats-first system. And so far the stats say our players are in over their heads and the veterans are simply here for a paycheck.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 08:16 PM 04-15-2023
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
It's brutal what kids get put through these days. Recovery and long term health is thrown out the window to win some meaningless youth game. I blame the parents for not advocating more for their kids.
My last year in KC (2016) we had a high school pitcher throw over 130 pitches and was back on the mound two days later.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 08:27 PM 04-15-2023
These Royals prove/reenforce that Spring ball means little to nothing. Another Royals signature business model is to build hope by doing everything they can to win the Spring season World Series while the other teams work a plan for the fall.
[Reply]
Nightfyre 08:29 PM 04-15-2023
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
You're not wrong. While the Braves are a good team, it's rather cliche to write-off losses by crediting the other team with being good. The Royals time-honored business strategy has been to play on the heart-strings of good midwest people. From "we're lucky to have a team", to "well it's a small market", to "there's no salary cap in the MLB", there have been any number of reasons (a.k.a. excuses) offered for being the embarrassment to the league. They don't look to compete year in and year out, they look for that once in a couple of decades random chances of good youth talent and a few decent veterans giving them a run toward glory. They will ride this business model until it doesn't work.

Hopefully we get a new downtown stadium out of the deal as an act of good will and some sort of promise for the system they're trying this time to actually work. I think it's some stats-first system. And so far the stats say our players are in over their heads and the veterans are simply here for a paycheck.
I don't live in Missouri or Jackson County, so I don't have a dog in this fight. But it would seem like Sherman would be the one getting a stadium out of the deal. And it doesn't look like he is going to be capable, let alone willing, to shell out for a competitive payroll. So if I did live in a place with a new team owner charging forward with plans for a downtown stadium out of my pocket, I would not vote in support of such measures if the sole purpose of the new stadium is to increase the franchise value so he can turn around and sell it for tax-payer subsidized profits.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 08:46 PM 04-15-2023
Originally Posted by Nightfyre:
I don't live in Missouri or Jackson County, so I don't have a dog in this fight. But it would seem like Sherman would be the one getting a stadium out of the deal. And it doesn't look like he is going to be capable, let alone willing, to shell out for a competitive payroll. So if I did live in a place with a new team owner charging forward with plans for a downtown stadium out of my pocket, I would not vote in support of such measures if the sole purpose of the new stadium is to increase the franchise value so he can turn around and sell it for tax-payer subsidized profits.
Way too deep for KC. We're told we're luck the MLB is here and bad baseball is part of being a small market team, NOT THE BUSINESS MODEL!

I'm in the middle, it sure seems like MLB could see the wisdom of the other major sports leagues if they want all teams on an equal footing.
[Reply]
tk13 09:15 PM 04-15-2023
Originally Posted by Tylerthigpen!1!:
There's actually some pretty interesting research on the correlation between injury and how kids nowadays specialize in baseball instead of baseball + 3 other sports.
Same thing is true in basketball. It's going to be interesting in 15 years if we look back and messed up a generation of athletes by specializing in a single sport so much.
[Reply]
BWillie 10:40 PM 04-15-2023
Originally Posted by tk13:
Same thing is true in basketball. It's going to be interesting in 15 years if we look back and messed up a generation of athletes by specializing in a single sport so much.
Focus on what you're good at if you ask me.

Its not fun to suck.

I was good at basketball and golf. Terrible at baseball. Everything looked like a strike to me. As a result I hated to play baseball.
[Reply]
Ocotillo 10:55 PM 04-15-2023

He was my breakout pick, so it gives me no pleasure to say this, but Michael Massey looks lost at the plate and may need to go to Omaha to get straightened out.

The good news is that 3 infielders in Omaha - Samad Taylor, Maikel Garcia, and Nick Lofton - are raking. Pick one.

— Rany Jazayerli (@jazayerli) April 15, 2023

[Reply]
Ocotillo 10:58 PM 04-15-2023
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
Itís a vicious cycle. And yeah I know Tampa does it. But.
If you're going to hire Matt Quatraro, why didn't the Royals go all in and give Peter Bendix a blank check to be the GM instead of promoting J.J. Picollo, a status quo promotion.
[Reply]
Page 61 of 333
« First < 11515758596061 6263646571111161 > Last »
Up