ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 19
< 12 345612 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>When do you have a "talk" with your child's Coach?
petegz28 06:37 PM 05-18-2022
So my Son is 8 years old and playing in competitive soccer. I will be the first to admit that on his team of 9 he probably ranks 6th or 7th. Maybe 5th on a good day. He is disciplined, works hard, knows his game but is just one of the slower kids and not the strongest shooter. Usually plays Left or Right Back.

The Coach has had a tendency to play him less than the others and generally I am okay with that because at times he plays quite a bit. Then some things happened and I am not real sure how to approach it.

In a tournament we won our first 2 games and were an automatic lock for the finals. The 3rd game literally meant absolutely nothing. My Son's Coach decided to play the "best players" into the ground and my Son got to play all of 10 minutes of a 50 minute game in a game that meant literally nothing. I was pissed but said nothing.

Then tonight at practice the Coach handed out MVP Pins to 5 of of the 8 kids that were there and one to a kid who was practicing with us but not on our team. He said they "tried hard" the last game. The irony is my Son played most of the last game and more than just about anyone else, and one of the kids that didn't get a pin had 2 goals. So the "they tried hard" crap doesn't seem to make sense.

I thought that was a pretty shitty way to handle that situation as we had 2 subs that game, it was very hot and all the kids played their ass off and we won 7-1.

Our Coach is 22, and it's his first year coaching a team. I try to keep that in mind. I also have to keep in mind that if I piss him off he could plant my Son on the bench the rest of the season. Also with tryouts for next season coming up in a couple of weeks, I'd hate to do something to jeopardize my Son.

On the other hand, I see it as I am paying good $'s to play in this league and a dick move is a dick move.

Anyone else been in a similar situation?
[Reply]
petegz28 06:53 PM 05-18-2022
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Ask his coach what things he can work on as a player.
Well that's just it. We have "evaluations" and he tells me Son all this good stuff and tells him he is right in the middle of the pack in ranking but then doesn't really act like that.

I try to chalk it up to he is 22 and he really is not a good coach. Very inconsistent, micromanaging, loves to hear himself talk, plays favorites, etc.

I keep telling myself it's probably not worth saying anything but then when is it?
[Reply]
notorious 06:55 PM 05-18-2022
1st year coaches are just trying to keep the train on the track.
[Reply]
petegz28 06:55 PM 05-18-2022
Originally Posted by -King-:
The MVP pins thing is bullshit to me. Coach shouldn't have done that. But if it is a competitive league, then I don't think you can complain about minutes unless your son is getting 0.

Maybe go to a more laid back developmental league where he can get playing time and develop his skills until he can be more competitive.
I don't complain about minutes unless it is completely fucked up. Like only playing 10 min in a game that has no meaning.
[Reply]
notorious 06:57 PM 05-18-2022
Don't give out individual awards at the youth level.

Team, team, team.

The coach is young as hell. He will figure it out.
[Reply]
Kman34 06:57 PM 05-18-2022
Time to find a team with a better coach... 22 year old coaches are just learning... A older more experienced coach probably is better at keeping the whole team involved..
[Reply]
cosmo20002 06:58 PM 05-18-2022
1. The MVP thing was a dick move

2. Get ready for 10 more years of BS from idiot coaches

3. Ask yourself if this team will sniff the playoffs
[Reply]
petegz28 07:00 PM 05-18-2022
Originally Posted by notorious:
Don't give out individual awards at the youth level.

Team, team, team.

The coach is young as hell. He will figure it out.
I have no problems with handing out 1 award per game or something. But when you hand something out to 5 of 8 then another to one not even on your team it's really fucked up.
[Reply]
petegz28 07:04 PM 05-18-2022
Originally Posted by Kman34:
Time to find a team with a better coach... 22 year old coaches are just learning... A older more experienced coach probably is better at keeping the whole team involved..
My hope is that next season my Son stays in the same division. In the next age group this Coach has the higher division and the Coach he would go too is better. My Son has played up on his team a few times and I like the guy. Doesn't take thing too seriously at this stage and is more about getting the kids to understand and love the game.

Good example, we scrimmaged against him tonight. My Son and our "favorite" for whatever reason, sat for 15 of the 20 minutes while the coach sat there with is smart board going over all these scenarios with them, over and over and over and over. He never paid attention to the scrimmage.

Meanwhile the other Coach who also had 2 subs, subbed his guys 5 times and paid attention the entire time.
[Reply]
POND_OF_RED 07:04 PM 05-18-2022
How did the team do in the finals? If they won, then I’d say he did the right thing. It’s very confusing following along, though. Your son played the majority of the championship game, but didn’t get a pin, but also played very little in the meaningless game. Sounds like it evened out. He’s probably lucky to be getting as much playing time as he is getting if he’s one of the slower players trying to play LB or RB.
[Reply]
petegz28 07:05 PM 05-18-2022
Originally Posted by POND_OF_RED:
How did the team do in the finals? If they won, then I’d say he did the right thing. It’s very confusing following along, though. Your son played the majority of the championship game, but didn’t get a pin, but also played very little in the meaningless game. Sounds like it evened out. He’s probably lucky to be getting as much playing time as he is getting if he’s one of the slower players trying to play LB or RB.
We lost in the finals. Our kids were gassed, including our 2 Guest players because they were played into the ground earlier that day in a meaningless game. I don't understand playing him at LB or RB. Last game he played him at F and CB. The F I get. CB not so much. My Son has great foot control, always gets control of the ball and tries to take meaningful touches. Slow about it at times but he doesn't just toe poke and chase or blast the ball down the pitch. Whenever they do skills drills in practice my Son waxes just about everyone else if not everyone else.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 07:05 PM 05-18-2022
Originally Posted by petegz28:
So my Son is 8 years old and playing in competitive soccer. I will be the first to admit that on his team of 9 he probably ranks 6th or 7th. Maybe 5th on a good day. He is disciplined, works hard, knows his game but is just one of the slower kids and not the strongest shooter. Usually plays Left or Right Back.

The Coach has had a tendency to play him less than the others and generally I am okay with that because at times he plays quite a bit. Then some things happened and I am not real sure how to approach it.

In a tournament we won our first 2 games and were an automatic lock for the finals. The 3rd game literally meant absolutely nothing. My Son's Coach decided to play the "best players" into the ground and my Son got to play all of 10 minutes of a 50 minute game in a game that meant literally nothing. I was pissed but said nothing.

Then tonight at practice the Coach handed out MVP Pins to 5 of of the 8 kids that were there and one to a kid who was practicing with us but not on our team. He said they "tried hard" the last game. The irony is my Son played most of the last game and more than just about anyone else, and one of the kids that didn't get a pin had 2 goals. So the "they tried hard" crap doesn't seem to make sense.

I thought that was a pretty shitty way to handle that situation as we had 2 subs that game, it was very hot and all the kids played their ass off and we won 7-1.

Our Coach is 22, and it's his first year coaching a team. I try to keep that in mind. I also have to keep in mind that if I piss him off he could plant my Son on the bench the rest of the season. Also with tryouts for next season coming up in a couple of weeks, I'd hate to do something to jeopardize my Son.

On the other hand, I see it as I am paying good $'s to play in this league and a dick move is a dick move.

Anyone else been in a similar situation?

So the referee’s are ok?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
notorious 07:11 PM 05-18-2022
He’s over-coaching. It’s normal for his experience level.

Needs to be basic and teach concepts and spacing, not specific plays and scenarios. Your team must be stacked for him to win while coaching kids like that.
[Reply]
notorious 07:15 PM 05-18-2022
My son was easily the best player on his baseball team and the new woman coach batted him 8th.

She even said several times “your son hits a home run every time he swings!”. Yeah, put him in the 3 or 4 slot so he gets more plate appearances dumbass.

It aggravating, just bite your lip and make it a teaching moment for your kid. Don’t complain about the coach in front of him or he will blame the coach in the future for everything instead of working harder to get better.
[Reply]
petegz28 07:16 PM 05-18-2022
He’s over-coaching. It’s normal for his experience level.

Needs to be basic and teach concepts and spacing, not specific plays and scenarios. Your team must be stacked for him to win while coaching kids like that.
We win generally because of luck it seems lately. Last fall we played better. This spring the coach is over-coaching, as you say. Constantly yelling at players on where to be. Kids get confused. Ironically my Son is about 1 of 2 or 3 kids he doesn't yell at because they know how to play their positions.

Our best player is our best because he is tall, lanky and fast. Generally plays Center Back and does nothing but stick his foot out or blast the ball out of bounds. But he is the Son of the Admin of the team so......

I just think it's a dick move to hand out awards to 5 kids for "trying hard" when the other 3 played just as hard and one of those three actually had 2 of our 7 goals.

I am content at this point to say nothing but if he gets picked to move up to his team next season we might have to have a chat.
[Reply]
petegz28 07:17 PM 05-18-2022
My son was easily the best player on his baseball team and the new woman coach batted him 8th.

She even said several times “your son hits a home run every time he swings!”. Yeah, put him in the 3 or 4 slot so he gets more plate appearances dumbass.

It aggravating, just bite your lip and make it a teaching moment for your kid. Don’t complain about the coach in front of him or he will blame the coach in the future for everything instead of working harder to get better.
Well, I complain but fortunately my Son understands he is the Coach and you live by his rules. My Son had the right attitude about it tonight. He said, "that just means I am going to show him how good I am and he will be sad that he didn't think I was good". Can't ask much more from an 8 year old.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 19
< 12 345612 > Last »
Up