ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3870 of 3903
« First < 2870337037703820386038663867386838693870 38713872387338743880 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
TLO 05:45 PM 01-24-2022
Can anyone post the article from this link? I'd like to read it.

We're past the worst of the Omicron surge

And I hope we will soon get a real reprieve

But as much as I wish otherwise, the pandemic isn't over

Let's use the months ahead to prepare for whatever Mother Nature has in store for us

My latest @PostOpinionshttps://t.co/9YRqdEjCJT

— Ashish K. Jha, MD, MPH (@ashishkjha) January 24, 2022

[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 06:18 PM 01-24-2022
Here you go...

Originally Posted by :
Ashish K. Jha is dean of the Brown University School of Public Health.

The United States has likely passed the peak of its omicron wave. Case numbers are declining in our country’s most populous states and, if they follow the trajectory of decline seen in South Africa and Britain, we could return to a much more manageable rate of infections within a month.

These upcoming months will feel like a reprieve, and rightly so. Restrictions likely will be eased as we go back to a new sense of “normal.” But we also must remain prepared for what’s ahead — because there is little reason to believe that the pandemic is over.

What is ahead? First, it is possible, though unlikely, that the delta variant returns and co-circulates with omicron in different populations, contributing to ongoing infections and hospitalizations. Whether delta makes a comeback or not, cases are likely to remain seasonal. That means we are likely to see surges in Southern states this summer (as people there spend more time indoors) and in Northern states next fall and winter as the weather turns cold again. Further, we could easily see the rise of a new variant that might be more contagious or deadly.

The bottom line is that as the omicron surge subsides, we will enter a period of uncertainty, with low levels of infections but hard-to-predict surges, either from the current variants or new future variants. As such, we must use the months ahead to prepare.

First, tens of millions of Americans, including a majority of children, remain unvaccinated, and even more have not received a much-needed booster. Efforts to reach the un- and under-vaccinated must continue. Beyond that, we need an Operation Warp Speed 2.0 to aggressively study new variant-specific vaccines as well as intranasal vaccines that stimulate mucosal immunity, key for preventing infections and pan-coronavirus vaccines. We don’t know which of these will work, but we must make the investment to study and build them.

Second, testing is key to being prepared. Last year, as infections fell, testing production waned and eventually dried up. When more testing was urgently needed during the most recent surge, capacity had to ramp up almost from scratch. We can’t make that mistake again. We must ensure that we have a large national stockpile of in-home rapid tests, and we should continue to ramp up production of raw materials, including reagents. These efforts must also anticipate a transition toward broad tests capable of detecting not only the coronavirus but also other common respiratory ailments to help our health system triage different infections.

Third, new therapeutics from Pfizer and Merck, along with monoclonal antibodies and other intravenous antivirals, must be a cornerstone of managing infections during future surges. These treatments can substantially reduce the severity of infections, but while each of these therapies has demonstrated efficacy, we don’t have the doses we need, and the doses we do have are not being distributed equitably.

By the time the next variant arrives, all Americans should have access to antiviral treatments immediately after testing positive. We must have enough doses on hand, access to rapid tests (because these therapies must begin soon after symptoms emerge) and clear clinical pathways to ensure any American can access them. Their potential to substantially blunt the next wave justifies significant investments in effective protocols and stockpiles, including making treatments free to people who test positive.

Finally, there is the issue of communication. This pandemic has polarized our nation, with much of the United States splintering into two camps: those who believe the pandemic is over, and those who believe we will be in this pandemic forever. Unfortunately, the virus will continue to challenge us for some time, but it need not dominate our lives. We need to clearly communicate the moment we are in, the actions people should take during periods of low infection and the temporary measures we might need during future surges (mask-wearing, testing, etc.). The lack of clear communication has meant that at every point in the pandemic so far, we were either over- or underreacting, and both have costs. Our leaders must do a better job of communicating where we are, what is to come and how best to prepare.

Attention to these crucial areas will ensure that Americans need never return to the protracted disruptions of school, work and public life. It will also allow us to begin the long task of building a new, healthier normal, even as we continue to manage the virus. And we should help Americans understand that the worst of the pandemic is behind us and that we have the tools to manage future surges, no matter what Mother Nature sends our way.

[Reply]
IA_Chiefs_fan 06:31 PM 01-24-2022
I just wanted to say thanks. This thread has provided a lot of great information and links. I still do other research but I've gained a TON from this thread over the past couple years.
[Reply]
SupDock 08:30 AM 01-25-2022
In response to the Florida new about closing monoclonal infusion sites, just wanted to chime in that the monoclonal antibodies mentioned in the article are not thought to be effective for Omicron, and my health system stopped using them a couple weeks ago.

The newer treatments are much more limited, and very hard to get.

Would be curious about Hamas experience with Paxlovid.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 01:38 PM 01-28-2022
Great article about 1918 pandemic

Spoiler!

[Reply]
DaFace 12:29 PM 01-31-2022
Well, my mom tested positive this morning. She's a special education coach and tutored a kid for a few hours face to face (though with masks) last Tuesday who then tested positive that evening.

So far, just aches and some digestive issues. Hopefully it'll stay that way. My worry is more for my dad who is asthmatic and had a major heart attack 10 years ago, but they're both vaxxed and boosted, so hopefully it'll stay mild.
[Reply]
IA_Chiefs_fan 03:47 PM 01-31-2022
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Well, my mom tested positive this morning. She's a special education coach and tutored a kid for a few hours face to face (though with masks) last Tuesday who then tested positive that evening.

So far, just aches and some digestive issues. Hopefully it'll stay that way. My worry is more for my dad who is asthmatic and had a major heart attack 10 years ago, but they're both vaxxed and boosted, so hopefully it'll stay mild.
You're all in my thoughts.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 03:59 PM 01-31-2022
Originally Posted by IA_Chiefs_fan:
In the past six months I've lost five people from my circle to COVID. One was the daughter of a friend and she was in her early twenties. I also had a coworker who damn near didn't survive it but thankfully she did. In my previous 44 years I've never lost anyone to the flu. So my anecdotal evidence says fuck that "barely worse than the flu" nonsense. Plenty of hard evidence says it too.
Sorry to hear it. And sorry to others in this thread who have been impacted similarly.

I have been extremely lucky throughout this whole pandemic. First of all, I don't think I've even caught it yet. Second, pretty much everyone in my family on both sides has had it and recovered with little to no issue. Both sides of my family are full of anti-vaxers and COVID deniers with comorbidities too.

I literally have not lost a single family member or friend. Yet. I always have to say yet because you just never know.
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 05:45 PM 01-31-2022

Hope it all stays mild for your mom and dad.
[Reply]
IA_Chiefs_fan 05:57 PM 01-31-2022
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
Sorry to hear it. And sorry to others in this thread who have been impacted similarly.

I have been extremely lucky throughout this whole pandemic. First of all, I don't think I've even caught it yet. Second, pretty much everyone in my family on both sides has had it and recovered with little to no issue. Both sides of my family are full of anti-vaxers and COVID deniers with comorbidities too.

I literally have not lost a single family member or friend. Yet. I always have to say yet because you just never know.
If you've made it this far without losing a loved one to Covid, you might never. I really feel like things are just going to progressively get better from this point on, with a few speed bumps here and there. Fingers crossed for you (and everyone else).
[Reply]
Chiefspants 07:53 PM 01-31-2022

Thinking about you all.
[Reply]
TLO 08:39 PM 01-31-2022
Looks as though the omicron wave in our area is receding.
[Reply]
Rain Man 08:47 PM 01-31-2022

I wish them well. Keep us updated.
[Reply]
philfree 01:23 PM 02-01-2022
I had Covid back in Oct. 2020 now I have the "Comicon" variant. I've had one Moderna shot back in May. I have done some traveling and been around plenty of people since then and I figured I was exposed to the virus several times and I was immune but alas. I did hear a guy on the radio the other day say that the Comicon variant had characteristics of being manufactured in a lab so maybe that's why so many people are getting it. Who knows!

It's like a cold pretty much.
[Reply]
IA_Chiefs_fan 12:53 PM 02-03-2022
So the wife and I had COVID (I assume Delta variant) at the beginning of November. We were pretty sick but nothing scary. We got Pfizer x2 in spring of 21. We got Moderna boosted the middle of December. We now have COVID (I assume Omicron variant) again. For me the symptoms are sore throat, stuffy nose, upset stomach for a couple days. No big deal at all. My wife is sicker but nothing too bad. She has a very sore throat, very stuffy nose and a low fever for a couple days. I almost went nuts sitting at home last time. I'll be home until Monday now. Ugh
[Reply]
Page 3870 of 3903
« First < 2870337037703820386038663867386838693870 38713872387338743880 > Last »
Up