ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 14 of 29
« First < 41011121314 1516171824 > Last »
Media Center>So....Dune 2020. Cool?
Amnorix 03:03 PM 08-19-2019
I learned today for the first time that a remake of the awesome book (and decidedly less awesome early 80s movie) Dune is being made, and is currently in post-production with a release date of December 18, 2020.

The cast includes many I don't know, but the ones I do know seem excellent for their roles. It's damn near a Marvel reunion...

Jason Mamoa as Duncan Idaho (the swordmaster of House Atreides)

Josh Brolin as Gurney Halleck (weaponsmaster of House Atreides, played memorably (and surprisingly) by Patrick Stewart in the original movie

Stellan Skarsgard as Baron Harkonnen

Dave Bautista (better known as Drax the Destroyer) as "Beast" Rabban, the nephew of Harkonnen

The most critical guy -- the one playing Paul is unknown to me. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3154303/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t3

This film is also only going to cover the first half of the book, which is good. It's really not possible to cover the whole thing in one 2 or 3 hour movie.

Anyway -- I love the book and a really good film would be great. What say you about all this news? Or am I just the last to known (as would be typical, to be honest!)
[Reply]
listopencil 04:46 AM 10-21-2021
Originally Posted by Frazod:
I'm glad for that, but it just seems unnecessary. Dune is not exactly lacking for strong female characters.
That's true. I don't know why they went with her instead of a guy, but she did do a pretty good job of it.
[Reply]
Frazod 05:36 AM 10-21-2021
Originally Posted by listopencil:
That's true. I don't know why they went with her instead of a guy, but she did do a pretty good job of it.
I suspect it was probably some behind-the-scenes compromise to either elicit support or stave off opposition from some group of woke Hollywood assholes during the project's early production. And that would be ironic if true, since Dune is as much about politics as anything else.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:40 AM 10-21-2021
I suspect it was probably some behind-the-scenes compromise to either elicit support or stave off opposition from some group of woke Hollywood assholes during the project's early production. And that would be ironic if true, since Dune is as much about politics as anything else.
I still suspect it won't be a big deal.

There's nothing about Liet-Kynes that is essentially "Masculine" in nature.

A female LK can still be the genius scientist parent of Chani and de facto political leader of the Fremen just as easily as a male LK can.
[Reply]
Pants 10:43 AM 10-21-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
I still suspect it won't be a big deal.

There's nothing about Liet-Kynes that is essentially "Masculine" in nature.

A female LK can still be the genius scientist parent of Chani and de facto political leader of the Fremen just as easily as a male LK can.
The Fremen would never go for a female LK, I don't think.
[Reply]
Frazod 10:48 AM 10-21-2021
Originally Posted by Pants:
The Fremen would never go for a female LK, I don't think.
Exactly. It's annoying, but in the grand scheme of things not a hill worth dying over.
[Reply]
Pants 10:49 AM 10-21-2021
Exactly. It's annoying, but in the grand scheme of things not a hill worth dying over.
Absolutely.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 11:45 AM 10-21-2021
It's definitely not an issue for me. Now, if you had made Feyd or Rabban female...
[Reply]
Baby Lee 03:58 PM 10-21-2021
'Bullish'

https://deadline.com/2021/10/dune-ma...ec19081108a870
[Reply]
Easy 6 04:27 PM 10-21-2021
Never read the book, and flat out hated the shitass snoozer first movie

That said, between what you guys have been saying and some of the previews I've seen... this actually looks like its worth going to the theater for
[Reply]
srvy 09:17 PM 10-21-2021
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Never read the book, and flat out hated the shitass snoozer first movie

That said, between what you guys have been saying and some of the previews I've seen... this actually looks like its worth going to the theater for
If you had read the books you would understand how bad Lynch F'ed up that movie and the mini-series tried but failed. I really hope this one clicks.
[Reply]
Frazod 09:49 PM 10-21-2021
Just got back from the theater. My thoughts:

I enjoyed it a lot. Obviously it was night and day from the Lynch abomination. Looked beautiful and had great visual effects (I loved their take on the dragonfly-like ornithopters). The cast was mostly effective.

However, I didn't like it as much as I had hoped I would. I definitely would have known that it was directed by the same guy who did the recent Blade Runner just by watching it. Villeneuve definitely has a signature style. But IMO he went a bit overboard here with the sweeping cinematic shots and often overbearing score (I also complained about this in Blade Runner). While in BR it simply got a bit boring after a while, here it sucked up time that could have been better served sticking to the source material and fleshing out some of the characters and details. More time should have been devoted to Yueh and Hawat. There were some minor scene omissions and story changes that seemed really unnecessary. And I think if I was not so familiar with the story I would have been really confused in some parts.

And goddamn I hated the Fremen eyes even more than I thought I would. In low lights scenes they looked like zombies. That's probably my biggest complaint. And the worst performance was Barden's Stilgar. He really seemed to be phoning it in. Character seemed aloof and bored, seriously lacking in leadership. And overall, the Fremen were a bit too beefy for people who lived in hiding in the desert. They should have been wiry, not chubby. The guy who played Janus looked like an NFL lineman.

But admittedly this is nitpicking by someone who has read the novel a dozen times and pretty much reveres it. It was a good movie. I definitely hope they go forward on Part 2.
[Reply]
Mennonite 08:24 AM 10-22-2021
Villeneuve

I'm a fan of the Blade Runner 2049 and I had no idea that it shared the same director as Dune. Looking at his IMDB page it appears that there is going to be a Dune tv series Dune: The Sisterhood.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1046687..._=nm_flmg_dr_2
[Reply]
Frazod 09:11 AM 10-22-2021
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
I'm a fan of the Blade Runner 2049 and I had no idea that it shared the same director as Dune. Looking at his IMDB page it appears that there is going to be a Dune tv series Dune: The Sisterhood.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1046687..._=nm_flmg_dr_2
Seriously? Some of the desert shots almost looked like they were lifted from the Vegas scenes of BR2049.
[Reply]
vailpass 10:53 AM 10-22-2021
With deference to Fraz’s much more knowledge on the subject, I liked the Harkonen portrayal more in the original. As well as the Mentats.
[Reply]
Pants 10:57 AM 10-22-2021
Originally Posted by vailpass:
With deference to Fraz’s much more knowledge on the subject, I liked the Harkonen portrayal more in the original. As well as the Mentats.
I haven't seen the new one yet (seeing it tomorrow), but I imagine they didn't go much into the Baron's sexual preferences. Tough to have an evil pederast villain in this day and age.
[Reply]
Page 14 of 29
« First < 41011121314 1516171824 > Last »
Up