ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: What kind of "gamer" are you?
0 - I don't play 22 27.16%
1 - Beginner (primarily cash back cards) 19 23.46%
2 - Intermediate (cards with travel perks and freebies) 24 29.63%
3 - Advanced (focused on "outsided value" in redemptions) 11 13.58%
4 - Expert (juggling multiple points currencies, booking trips on partner airlines, etc.) 5 6.17%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll
Page 8 of 8
« First < 45678
Nzoner's Game Room>The Credit Card Rewards Game
DaFace 10:15 AM 05-20-2022
It came up a bit in the thread about spare change, but it seems like there are af few of us at least enjoy playing "the game." So here's a place to talk about earning strategies, brag about your favorite redemptions, get advice, etc.
[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 11:02 AM 12-27-2023
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
Does anyone here churn bank accounts? I’ve been noticing a bunch of “earn $500 after 90 days of opening an account and setting up direct deposit” or “earn $500 after depositing X amount into new account” types of promos. Most recently I just saw one from Fifth Third Bank and I believe I saw one with SoFi as well.

Wondering if it’s something people do or not worth the effort..
Yes. To the tune of about 1500/1800 per year.

Changing direct deposit these days is about 6 clicks of a mouse. And you can close the account after and reopen it a year/18 months later and do it again.
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 11:13 AM 12-27-2023
Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish:
Yes. To the tune of about 1500/1800 per year.

Changing direct deposit these days is about 6 clicks of a mouse. And you can close the account after and reopen it a year/18 months later and do it again.
I don’t do it as much as I used to (+EV sports betting is a far better use of my time) but I got in on Chase’s $900 bonus this year.

Half the time you don’t even need to change your direct deposit, a push from Ally or Alliant will trigger the bonus.
[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 11:29 AM 12-27-2023
Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi:
I don’t do it as much as I used to (+EV sports betting is a far better use of my time) but I got in on Chase’s $900 bonus this year.

Half the time you don’t even need to change your direct deposit, a push from Ally or Alliant will trigger the bonus.
I used to bet locally with a guy. But I found I was constantly worried about my bets and never enjoyed my Sunday. (or Saturday). Gave it up and then years later picked up the churn game. Wonder if it would be different now that I’m older? Probably not. Was not a happy gambler.

This game, and CC’s give me enjoyment.
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 11:38 AM 12-27-2023
Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish:
I used to bet locally with a guy. But I found I was constantly worried about my bets and never enjoyed my Sunday. (or Saturday). Gave it up and then years later picked up the churn game. Wonder if it would be different now that I’m older? Probably not. Was not a happy gambler.

This game, and CC’s give me enjoyment.
It’s definitely not for everyone. Mostly just take advantage of the good promos and boosts etc so it’s generally an upward trajectory which makes it a little easier to forget about the games and do something else.

10 years ago when I was just making picks and betting, I was in a pretty dark place. Know exactly where you are coming from in that statement. Could never enjoy anything because I was too worried about the Blue Jays and Rangers score.
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 01:21 PM 12-27-2023
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
Does anyone here churn bank accounts? I’ve been noticing a bunch of “earn $500 after 90 days of opening an account and setting up direct deposit” or “earn $500 after depositing X amount into new account” types of promos. Most recently I just saw one from Fifth Third Bank and I believe I saw one with SoFi as well.

Wondering if it’s something people do or not worth the effort..
I do it a few times a year along with Credit cards. Probably not enough I'd be considered a churner. The big bonuses a few years ago were for checking + savings (amount) but it's hardly worth moving savings now with interest rates paying out.

I've moved checking a couple of times this year. My payroll software let's you split outbound ACH so that's handy in that I don't have to really move all my payments.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 01:30 PM 12-27-2023
Cool, sounds like it’s worth it as long as it’s not too complicated.

Thank you, all.
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 11:54 AM 01-06-2024
This was a good reminder I should probably do this again. New year!

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/

I'm using this site now as it seems pretty helpful. I signed up for this Wells Fargo card w/ a $300 bonus

Originally Posted by :
Wells Fargo Autograph 30,000/$300
Read our review of this offer

No annual fee. $300 bonus requires $1,500 spend.
Trying to find a checking account sign up bonus now.
[Reply]
Rain Man 01:21 PM 01-06-2024
I went to the grocery store this week and my credit card was declined. It was pretty embarrassing and I figured out that the card had expired at the end of December and they had never sent me a replacement. Fortunately I'm from the boomer generation so I always carry cash in the event of emergency.

I then called the credit card company and they said that they were supposed to send me a new one but they just never did. I don't understand that at all. It's in their best interest to have a card in my hands. She said the notes said I was supposed to get one and it was never sent. That seems like a pretty big failure.
[Reply]
Buehler445 01:35 PM 01-06-2024
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I went to the grocery store this week and my credit card was declined. It was pretty embarrassing and I figured out that the card had expired at the end of December and they had never sent me a replacement. Fortunately I'm from the boomer generation so I always carry cash in the event of emergency.

I then called the credit card company and they said that they were supposed to send me a new one but they just never did. I don't understand that at all. It's in their best interest to have a card in my hands. She said the notes said I was supposed to get one and it was never sent. That seems like a pretty big failure.
Well, sort of. It's best for them if you accrue interest. Which I'm guessing you do not.
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 03:14 PM 01-06-2024
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Well, sort of. It's best for them if you accrue interest. Which I'm guessing you do not.
They get paid regardless from the merchant fees, but yes, they’d rather you accrue interest.
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 03:15 PM 01-06-2024
Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage:
This was a good reminder I should probably do this again. New year!

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/

I'm using this site now as it seems pretty helpful. I signed up for this Wells Fargo card w/ a $300 bonus

Trying to find a checking account sign up bonus now.
Typically cards aren’t worth one of your 5/24 slots if they bonus isn’t at least $500, IMO.
[Reply]
Rain Man 06:39 PM 01-06-2024
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Well, yeah, they don't get any interest from me. But they do get a lot of merchant fees.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:45 PM 01-06-2024
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Well, yeah, they don't get any interest from me. But they do get a lot of merchant fees.
Fair.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 8
« First < 45678
Up