ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Anybody have a Malinois or other high-energy dog?
vailpass 02:15 PM 04-26-2021
I have a 5 month old Malinois, got him a couple months ago. Love him. He's the typical high-motor player. Always wants to play ball, follows everywhere I go and gets there first.

I'm looking for other things to give him to do. I play ball with him, take him hiking or walking every day, have multiple toys for him, have a bungee toy hanging from the tree. I've looked in to Schutzhund training for him but it's not for me right now.

What do you do for your high-energy pup?

[Reply]
Rain Man 02:20 PM 04-26-2021
I think these dogs like to chase down terrorists with Seal teams, in case you do that in your area.
[Reply]
vailpass 02:21 PM 04-26-2021
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I think these dogs like to chase down terrorists with Seal teams, in case you do that in your area.
:-) Indeed they do. Spec Ops use Mali instead of German Shepherds for plane jumps because they weigh less. I’m reading a book about one of them now called No Ordinary Dog.
These dogs are so smart.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 02:27 PM 04-26-2021
Originally Posted by vailpass:
I have a 5 month old Malinois, got him a couple months ago. Love him. He's the typical high-motor player. Always wants to play ball, follows everywhere I go and gets there first.

I'm looking for other things to give him to do. I play ball with him, take him hiking or walking every day, have multiple toys for him, have a bungee toy hanging from the tree. I've looked in to Schutzhund training for him but it's not for me right now.

What do you do for your high-energy pup?

You might consider flyball. It is a team sport for dogs. I had a Heeler that *LOVED* playing flyball. She would come home from events dead ass tired and it was great as it gave me a respite from her bringing me every toy in the house in a bid to get me play for the 3rd hour in a row.

Of you are thinking of things they can do on their own... I'm also interested as my Louie is also a high energy guy. He loves playing with his sisters but they are too old to keep up with him.
[Reply]
vailpass 02:29 PM 04-26-2021
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx:
You might consider flyball. It is a team sport for dogs. I had a Heeler that *LOVED* playing flyball. She would come home from events dead ass tired and it was great as it gave me a respite from her bringing me every toy in the house in a bid to get me play for the 3rd hour in a row.

Of you are thinking of things they can do on their own... I'm also interested as my Louie is also a high energy guy. He loves playing with his sisters but they are too old to keep up with him.
Flyball? Going to look that up, thanks. Is Louie a Heeler? Aussie Shep? Have you looked at flirt sticks? Think I might try that too.
[Reply]
BigRichard 02:31 PM 04-26-2021
My Jack Russell was so high energy in his young/adult years he about drove me and the wife nuts. We found out he liked to chase laser lights when we tried to get our cat to play with it. He went nuts over it. I usually ran him ragged like 2 or 3 times a day with that thing. I actually bought a little more expensive one that had a bigger rechargeable battery just for him. If he takes any interest in it, it is a great way to run him ragged. I either had to do it inside or early in the morning or later at night so he could see it along our privacy fence.
[Reply]
vailpass 02:33 PM 04-26-2021
Originally Posted by BigRichard:
My Jack Russell was so high energy in his young/adult years he about drove me and the wife nuts. We found out he liked to chase laser lights when we tried to get our cat to play with it. He went nuts over it. I usually ran him ragged like 2 or 3 times a day with that thing. I actually bought a little more expensive one that had a bigger rechargeable battery just for him. If he takes any interest in it, it is a great way to run him ragged. I either had to do it inside or early in the morning or later at night so he could see it along our privacy fence.
Oh wow, hadn’t thought of that. Adding to the list. Thanks!
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 02:35 PM 04-26-2021
The dog we had on our team used to love to run beside us when we rode bikes around, we bought a small football to throw around between us that he chased. The team handler would have the dog pull him around on a skateboard.

I will call the handler and see what else he did and see if I can give you more ideas.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 02:41 PM 04-26-2021
Flyball? Going to look that up, thanks. Is Louie a Heeler? Aussie Shep? Have you looked at flirt sticks? Think I might try that too.

---

We believe that Louie is a cross between a Kelpie and a Blue Tick Coonhound but we have only seen photos of mama (Kelpie) as he was a rescue. His cow spots and the brown socks on his legs don't really match with a Heeler but dead on with the Coonhound.

Also... he doesn't bark as much as he screams at things (bawl mouth) like the coonhounds do. But until I get a doggy DNA test on him... I really don't know for sure. Also... never heard of flirt sticks but looking them up right now.
[Reply]
vailpass 02:48 PM 04-26-2021
Originally Posted by mac459:
The dog we had on our team used to love to run beside us when we rode bikes around, we bought a small football to throw around between us that he chased. The team handler would have the dog pull him around on a skateboard.

I will call the handler and see what else he did and see if I can give you more ideas.
You had military K9 interaction? Cool. Would pay to see the skateboard thing. I really want to be able to bike with him but I don’t know if he’s disciplined enough yet. We work with a trainer once a week, former cop, but we’ve only had 2 sessions. Thanks man.
[Reply]
vailpass 02:48 PM 04-26-2021
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx:

---

We believe that Louie is a cross between a Kelpie and a Blue Tick Coonhound but we have only seen photos of mama (Kelpie) as he was a rescue. His cow spots and the brown socks on his legs don't really match with a Heeler but dead on with the Coonhound.

Also... he doesn't bark as much as he screams at things (bawl mouth) like the coonhounds do. But until I get a doggy DNA test on him... I really don't know for sure. Also... never heard of flirt sticks but looking them up right now.
That’s a good looking boi! Great ears. I gotta see about this fly ball thing.
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 03:48 PM 04-26-2021
You had military K9 interaction? Cool. Would pay to see the skateboard thing. I really want to be able to bike with him but I don’t know if he’s disciplined enough yet. We work with a trainer once a week, former cop, but we’ve only had 2 sessions. Thanks man.
Yeah we had a handler and dog attached to our team for a deployment, so we had a few months before we deployed to train together.
[Reply]
vailpass 03:55 PM 04-26-2021
Originally Posted by mac459:
Yeah we had a handler and dog attached to our team for a deployment, so we had a few months before we deployed to train together.
Cool. How was it? The bond between handler and dog was probably something to see.
[Reply]
Buehler445 03:59 PM 04-26-2021
I dunno, but you should teach it to do this.

[Reply]
Buehler445 04:04 PM 04-26-2021
I have an Australian Cattle Dog. He's old now, but that dude needs shit to do. I don't know if BM's are like that, but he was bred to do a job, once he internalized what his jobs were he calmed down a lot.

Some of it might be mental stimulation as much as physical.

Good Luck.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up