ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 31 of 44
« First < 212728293031 3233343541 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official 2021 STL Cardinals Thread***
BigRedChief 10:29 AM 02-17-2021
2021 Opening Day Lineup
Spoiler!

For the new Cardinal fans that joined the Planet since last year.....

2020 Thread
https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=329273
2019 Thread
https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=320239
2018 Thread
https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=312812
2012 Thread
https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=254619
etc.
All the way back to 2006 WS
https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=312812
[Reply]
jd1020 11:22 AM 10-07-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
WTF I am talking about is how he was performing before he was injured.

Use Fangraphs.

Filter through end of May.

He was not right when he came back and the sample size was small enough to skew his overall numbers.
:-)

When you start trying to cherry pick numbers and weed out the bad you lose your argument.

That would be like me saying Ian Happ is one of the best hitters in the game... just filter from after August.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 11:29 AM 10-07-2021
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Tough way to lose. Terrible situational ABs and Shildt got too cute in taking out Gallegos early. Reyes in that spot was as bad as Wacha vs Ishikawa. That was just an awful, awful idea.
When T.J. McFarland departed after notching two outs and a walk in the bottom of the ninth, the visiting bullpen at Dodger Stadium swung open. Out came Alex Reyes, the team’s sturdy closer who had carded a perfect save opportunity record in the first half of the season en route to his first career All-Star selection. The problem? Reyes had faltered miserably in the second half and lost his job in the process. The last two times he had pitched the ninth in a clutch situation, it had resulted in walk-off home runs for the opposing team.

Wednesday night was no different.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 11:29 AM 10-07-2021
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Tough way to lose. Terrible situational ABs and Shildt got too cute in taking out Gallegos early. Reyes in that spot was as bad as Wacha vs Ishikawa. That was just an awful, awful idea.
From the Athletic

When T.J. McFarland departed after notching two outs and a walk in the bottom of the ninth, the visiting bullpen at Dodger Stadium swung open. Out came Alex Reyes, the team’s sturdy closer who had carded a perfect save opportunity record in the first half of the season en route to his first career All-Star selection. The problem? Reyes had faltered miserably in the second half and lost his job in the process. The last two times he had pitched the ninth in a clutch situation, it had resulted in walk-off home runs for the opposing team.

Wednesday night was no different.

Why make that move? What did Schilt say?
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 11:45 AM 10-07-2021
Originally Posted by jd1020:
:-)

When you start trying to cherry pick numbers and weed out the bad you lose your argument.

That would be like me saying Ian Happ is one of the best hitters in the game... just filter from after August.

If I was arbitrarily picking a sample, sure.

But I’m not.

The clear line of demarcation is Flaherty getting placed on the injured list with an injury many expected to cause him to miss the season. That happened after his May 31st start.

He came back in August and clearly wasn’t right and basically got shut down.
[Reply]
jd1020 11:47 AM 10-07-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
If I was arbitrarily picking a sample, sure.

But I’m not.

The clear line of demarcation is Flaherty getting placed on the injured list with an injury many expected to cause him to miss the season. That happened after his May 31st start.

He came back in August and clearly wasn’t right and basically got shut down.
You are doing nothing different. You are just using the excuse of an injury, as if having an injury and not playing at all or not recovering from it still makes a guy a top 30 pitcher if you just pretend the injury never happened.

You are projecting a fraction of a sample into a whole, as if you can do that and say it's the only thing that matters. Like guys that dont go through an injury and start off hot dont naturally fade off as the season progresses... Yu Darvish.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 12:14 PM 10-07-2021
You are doing nothing different. You are just using the excuse of an injury, as if having an injury and not playing at all or not recovering from it still makes a guy a top 30 pitcher if you just pretend the injury never happened.

You are projecting a fraction of a sample into a whole, as if you can do that and say it's the only thing that matters. Like guys that dont go through an injury and start off hot dont naturally fade off as the season progresses... Yu Darvish.
It's quite different. You are doing what a lot of people who just want to use stats make the mistake of doing: Ignoring context and looking at the stats in a vacuum.

Before he injured his oblique, Flaherty was pitching like the starter he was in 2018 and 2019 - back on track and putting the weird 2020 season behind him.

Now, if a strained oblique was an injury with a long history of ending or evenly altering careers, I'd throw that out as a concern for the future. But it isn't.

Looking at the season statistically as a whole and calling it a bad year or a sign that he's an underachieving prospect because he didn't pitch well after returning from injury and subsequently being shut down is intellectually dishonest.

But I'll stop there. I didn't mean to invade the Cardinals thread and argue in circles with a Cubs fan, and yet... here I am.
[Reply]
jd1020 12:19 PM 10-07-2021
You're right. I'm sure during his arbitration case they will only look at what he was doing through May. It was a banner year for Mr. Flaherty.
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 12:30 PM 10-07-2021
You're right. I'm sure during his arbitration case they will only look at what he was doing through May. It was a banner year for Mr. Flaherty.
Duncan isn’t even a Cardinals fan you fuckin nerd lmao
[Reply]
jd1020 12:32 PM 10-07-2021
Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi:
Duncan isn’t even a Cardinals fan you fuckin nerd lmao
Wtf does him not being a Cardinal fan have to do with the conversation, you idiot? No where did I claim him to be a fan of the Cardinals. I've known the whole time he's a Royals fan. Just stfu with acting like you are smart.
[Reply]
Rams Fan 12:45 PM 10-14-2021
Shildt fired
[Reply]
Marco Polo 12:48 PM 10-14-2021
That was not expected. I literally read today that an extension was probable. This is a shock
[Reply]
bdj23 12:51 PM 10-14-2021
Shildt is out apparently.

Kinda shocking, but I guess Mo has to deflect blame on to someone.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 12:55 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by BDj23:
Shildt is out apparently.

Kinda shocking, but I guess Mo has to deflect blame on to someone.
Woah this is confirmed? I thought Mo would be happy with his coach doing his bidding?

What happened in the locker room to cause this?:-)
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 12:56 PM 10-14-2021
Time to bring back Mike Mathney!!!!!
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 12:57 PM 10-14-2021
Bringing in Reyes in that spot was a fireable offense regardless of past history.
[Reply]
Page 31 of 44
« First < 212728293031 3233343541 > Last »
Up