ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 12
« First < 23456 78910 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Homemade Hot Sauces and Other Fermented Foods
KCUnited 08:55 AM 06-13-2021
Entering the homemade hot sauce phase of my midlife spiral into total lameness.

I'm mostly wanting to explore different flavor combos and take more control over heat/consistently than what I'm getting off the shelf or Amazon. Thinking I may expand into fermenting other fruits and vegetables as well.

Anyone else making their own hot sauces and/or fermented foods?
[Reply]
lewdog 04:42 PM 07-28-2021
Originally Posted by lewdog:
My sister-in-law is Mexican and made me homemade salsa when we visited her. She also gave me the recipe since I liked it so much. First batch made.

Also going with a very basic first ferment. Smaller jar is fermenting jalapenos and garlic which will just be used for jalapeno slices on food. Taller jars are hatch chilis and garlic which will be used to make a hot sauce post fermentation. The jars are small so I used the plastic bag method to submerge the top but because they have small openings I just let the bag hang to the outside.

How often should I burp these tight lids? Also, once your fermentation is over do most of you simmer them before bottling?

5 days of jalapeño fermentation like the video suggested. Opened it and only cloudy, no mold or film. Taste is great! I can’t explain it. Removed bag weight and put in fridge for jalapeño slices whenever needed. Love it!
[Reply]
KCUnited 04:49 PM 07-28-2021
5 days of jalapeño fermentation like the video suggested. Opened it and only cloudy, no mold or film. Taste is great! I can’t explain it. Removed bag weight and put in fridge for jalapeño slices whenever needed. Love it!
Nice work!

Are you planning to ferment any of your homegrown fruits? And more importantly, impart any of your fruits into a hot sauce??
[Reply]
lewdog 04:56 PM 07-28-2021
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Nice work!

Are you planning to ferment any of your homegrown fruits? And more importantly, impart any of your fruits into a hot sauce??
I suppose I could but I mostly have citrus, that might be too acidic or harsh? Are you saying to ferment the fruit or just add to the final product?

I’m going to do a few weeks on the hatch chilis before making a hot sauce.
[Reply]
KCUnited 05:05 PM 07-28-2021
I suppose I could but I mostly have citrus, that might be too acidic or harsh? Are you saying to ferment the fruit or just add to the final product?

I’m going to do a few weeks on the hatch chilis before making a hot sauce.
I'm always looking at fermentation through a beer brewing lens, but often hear/read of people fermenting fruits, but now that you mention it, its mostly things like stone fruits or berries. Can't say I've heard much around citrus type fruits outside of Kombucha concoctions.
[Reply]
lewdog 06:58 AM 07-30-2021
I realize you can ferment peppers a long time but I’m more interested in making the sauce and using it. For the hatch chilis and garlic, is 2 weeks enough?

Also thinking next batch will be habanero, jalapeño, garlic and onion.
[Reply]
KCUnited 07:04 AM 07-30-2021
I realize you can ferment peppers a long time but I’m more interested in making the sauce and using it. For the hatch chilis and garlic, is 2 weeks enough?

Also thinking next batch will be habanero, jalapeño, garlic and onion.
Most I've ever gone is 2 weeks but that was using jalapeno some maybe Hatch might vary, idk. Start tasting it after 10 days or so. Should have a sour taste. Most anything fermented is done when its done and can really only be ballparked time-wise.

I made a garlic oil for my last sauce. Poured some in as I was doing the final blend and am using the rest on a variety of other foods.
[Reply]
lewdog 07:09 AM 07-30-2021
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Most I've ever gone is 2 weeks but that was using jalapeno some maybe Hatch might vary, idk. Start tasting it after 10 days or so. Should have a sour taste. Most anything fermented is done when its done and can really only be ballparked time-wise.

I made a garlic oil for my last sauce. Poured some in as I was doing the final blend and am using the rest on a variety of other foods.
I see people fermenting months to years. Must be a dick measuring thing but seems lame to me.

My wife looked at the jalapeños and asked if they should look cloudy? I said I think so, let me try a few and see if I end up at the toilet tonight.
[Reply]
KCUnited 07:11 AM 07-30-2021
I see people fermenting months to years. Must be a dick measuring thing but seems lame to me.
I'm sure aging has differing affects similar to fermented beverages, but likely comes down to space, curiosity, and desire, but admit I haven't looked into it much due to lack of desire.
[Reply]
In58men 08:41 AM 07-30-2021
Originally Posted by Iconic:
Not home made but I've heard nothing but amazing things about this.

It’s pretty good, was surprised by the slight sweetness. I didn’t read the ingredients before purchasing so it threw me off guard. The heat level is perfect, would buy again.

Overall: 7/10
[Reply]
eDave 11:11 PM 08-01-2021

[Reply]
Stewie 04:54 PM 08-02-2021
I don't think I'd ferment peppers too long. You'll lose the flavor of the peppers and move into the funkified realm.

Just started another sauerkraut fermentation. Nothing better than homemade kraut. It needs to go into the funkified realm for full awesomeness.
[Reply]
lewdog 07:23 PM 08-04-2021
Decided to try making a finished product and complete the hot sauce using the Hatch Chilis/garlic that fermented for 2 weeks. I just burped them every day during the process and never had any weird color or anything growing in the container.

I completed in the blender with some vinegar and some jalapeno brine I had leftover from the previously completed jalapenos I fermented.

I did not strain so it does have some very light "texture." I realize you can't get a smooth, creamy texture like cholula without using things like xanthan gum. I made it pretty pourable but I could see how adding less liquids could make it more sauce/paste like.

[Reply]
Stewie 07:33 PM 08-04-2021
Looks really good Lewdog. It has always amazed me how much water is in veggies until you ferment them. Two weeks sounds like a good fermentation for what you did. Enjoy!
[Reply]
KCUnited 07:58 PM 08-04-2021
Decided to try making a finished product and complete the hot sauce using the Hatch Chilis/garlic that fermented for 2 weeks. I just burped them every day during the process and never had any weird color or anything growing in the container.

I completed in the blender with some vinegar and some jalapeno brine I had leftover from the previously completed jalapenos I fermented.

I did not strain so it does have some very light "texture." I realize you can't get a smooth, creamy texture like cholula without using things like xanthan gum. I made it pretty pourable but I could see how adding less liquids could make it more sauce/paste like.

Curious why no strain, were you going for a thicccer sauce?

I hadn’t heard about the xantham gum but I get a pretty thin, pourable sauce by liquefying then straining.
[Reply]
Stewie 08:13 PM 08-04-2021
I guess I don't understand what's going on regarding fermentation in this thread. It's salt and time for whatever you're fermenting. Other ingredients are nonsense. Fermentation time is critical, then store in a cool place. Texture is a product of fermentation time.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 12
« First < 23456 78910 > Last »
Up