ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 12
1 234511 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Homemade Hot Sauces and Other Fermented Foods
KCUnited 08:55 AM 06-13-2021
Entering the homemade hot sauce phase of my midlife spiral into total lameness.

I'm mostly wanting to explore different flavor combos and take more control over heat/consistently than what I'm getting off the shelf or Amazon. Thinking I may expand into fermenting other fruits and vegetables as well.

Anyone else making their own hot sauces and/or fermented foods?
[Reply]
KCUnited 08:55 AM 06-13-2021
Started with a blueberry and blackberry habanero sauce. Feel I'm gambling a bit by leaving the seeds in the habs, not for the heat but maybe some possible bitterness from the seeds.

Following a Serious Eats recipe:

https://www.seriouseats.com/double-b...nero-hot-sauce

[Reply]
dmahurin 09:15 AM 06-13-2021
There is a guy on youtube named Brad Leone who is a pro chef that does a show called "it's alive". All fermented type foods. He is hilarious and the food content is great as well.
[Reply]
philfree 09:29 AM 06-13-2021
I haven't made any in a couple years but I've used this
https://www.allrecipes.com/video/396...riracha-sauce/ technique in the past with some peppers I grew in a whiskey barrel garden. I didn't use the same peppers as the recipe. I used Jals, Fresno and Habs. I haven't grown any pepper the last couple of years but if I did I would grow some Tabasco Peppers and use some of them as well.
[Reply]
KCUnited 09:33 AM 06-13-2021
Originally Posted by philfree:
I haven't made any in a couple years but I've used this
https://www.allrecipes.com/video/396...riracha-sauce/ technique in the past with some peppers I grew in a whiskey barrel garden. I didn't use the same peppers as the recipe. I used Jals, Fresno and Habs. I haven't grown any pepper the last couple of years but if I did I would grow some Tabasco Peppers and use some of them as well.
My next step is to grow my own peppers.

I've got my eye on a Fresno, garlic and tamari recipe but I could find Fresno's.
[Reply]
Bearcat 09:35 AM 06-13-2021
"Midlife Spiral" is now going to be the name of the band I'm starting with the guys I met at the gym.
[Reply]
KCUnited 09:38 AM 06-13-2021
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
"Midlife Spiral" is now going to be the name of the band I'm starting with the guys I met at the gym.

[Reply]
KCUnited 09:39 AM 06-13-2021
Originally Posted by dmahurin:
There is a guy on youtube named Brad Leone who is a pro chef that does a show called "it's alive". All fermented type foods. He is hilarious and the food content is great as well.
His miso fermented fries look super legit

Subscribed
[Reply]
Stewie 10:47 AM 06-13-2021
Sauerkraut is all I've ever done. Super easy with only 2 ingredients and a 2-3 week fermentation.
[Reply]
lewdog 10:50 AM 06-13-2021
Had a coworker into this. He grew his own habanero peppers and made a super hot garlic habanero hot sauce.

He moved away and it saddens me. It was so good.
[Reply]
KCUnited 11:06 AM 06-13-2021
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Had a coworker into this. He grew his own habanero peppers and made a super hot garlic habanero hot sauce.

He moved away and it saddens me. It was so good.
Couple guys in my homebrew club made some hot sauces for a party the other weekend. I was legit impressed by the depth of flavor they had.

I'm sure they're out there commercially with much less time and effort but I figured why not tinker around with making it myself. Plus I can send them as unsolicited gifts to all my friends and family on xmas/birthdays/divorces, etc.
[Reply]
lewdog 11:22 AM 06-13-2021
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Couple guys in my homebrew club made some hot sauces for a party the other weekend. I was legit impressed by the depth of flavor they had.

I'm sure they're out there commercially with much less time and effort but I figured why not tinker around with making it myself. Plus I can send them as unsolicited gifts to all my friends and family on xmas/birthdays/divorces, etc.
BRB

Getting divorced so I can get some KCU hot sauce.
[Reply]
KCUnited 11:29 AM 06-13-2021
Originally Posted by lewdog:
BRB

Getting divorced so I can get some KCU hot sauce.
You've somehow managed to marry a unicorn so divorce would actually get you removed from the distribution list
[Reply]
lewdog 02:35 PM 06-13-2021
Just got an intant pot suggestions on facebook for making hot sauce in the instant pot. I am actually glad they track what I'm discussing!

That might be something easy.
[Reply]
dmahurin 03:03 PM 06-13-2021
I found the hot sauce episode of the show I mentioned earlier.

https://youtu.be/UGjCeAbWKPo
[Reply]
Page 1 of 12
1 234511 > Last »
Up