ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Anybody have a Malinois or other high-energy dog?
vailpass 02:15 PM 04-26-2021
I have a 5 month old Malinois, got him a couple months ago. Love him. He's the typical high-motor player. Always wants to play ball, follows everywhere I go and gets there first.

I'm looking for other things to give him to do. I play ball with him, take him hiking or walking every day, have multiple toys for him, have a bungee toy hanging from the tree. I've looked in to Schutzhund training for him but it's not for me right now.

What do you do for your high-energy pup?

[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 04:14 PM 04-26-2021
Gotta have alot of chew toys and pull toys at your disposal, if you have a dog with high possession they'll obsess over them all day especially when they know it's a game of keepaway and they'll win no matter what
[Reply]
Hoopsdoc 06:26 PM 04-26-2021
We have a Bernese Mountain Dog that is as active as she is big. And she’s a BIG gal. The usual dog toys last about 30 minutes with her.

There is a bone toy that she loves, I’m not sure who makes it, but it’s a fairly large, hollow bone that comes filled with peanut butter. She spends hours working on those things.
[Reply]
Straight, No Chaser 12:17 AM 04-27-2021
This dog needs work... daily. Probably smarter than a lot of people I know. How much time & money do you have? One thing you could do is protection training for him and you. This would feed the high-drive and ultimately give you more control over him in all situations.

If you have a lot of time and want to travel... he could be trained to sniff Corona Virus in human sweat. However, once complete you would have to contract him (and yourself) out in order to get practice. In any event, that dog is smart and needs work or he's not happy.

I know excellent trainers in Tucson.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 08:13 AM 04-27-2021
I have Brittany Spaniels. Originally i just had one male, and quickly realized i couldn't possibly keep this dog happy on my own. A second dog made all the difference. They play with each other all damn day and come in at night (mostly) calm and tolerable. The best thing i did was buy a house with two big oak trees, we have squirrels out the ass and they chase and watch them all damn day, its become their job and mission in life to protect our home from these vermin. And its a plus because all the running keeps them in shape for the few times a year we actually get to bird hunt.
[Reply]
Oxford 09:09 AM 04-27-2021
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Cool. How was it? The bond between handler and dog was probably something to see.
If you want to see a bond between handler and dog, search "Leader Dogs for the Blind" and "Client stories" on you tube. We have met the blind clients that have received the guide dog puppy we raised, and hear the stories of what the dog means to them..... its a cry fest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYHmttAgBFU
[Reply]
tyecopeland 09:37 AM 04-27-2021
I think my dog is mostly a jack Russell Chihuahua mix. Pretty low key but does love to run around with the neighbors husky.
[Reply]
R Clark 11:35 AM 04-27-2021
I’d never heard of that breed but he’s a good looking dog! We have a husky cross that’s also high energy to say the least.we live on a half section so plenty of room to run unfortunately it butts up to a state lake and camp ground.I can’t keep her from going to the camp ground and visiting.
[Reply]
vailpass 02:02 PM 04-27-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I have an Australian Cattle Dog. He's old now, but that dude needs shit to do. I don't know if BM's are like that, but he was bred to do a job, once he internalized what his jobs were he calmed down a lot.

Some of it might be mental stimulation as much as physical.

Good Luck.
Thanks. Yep, Malis are work dogs too and they are EXACTLY like that. Need shit to do.
[Reply]
vailpass 02:03 PM 04-27-2021
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
Gotta have alot of chew toys and pull toys at your disposal, if you have a dog with high possession they'll obsess over them all day especially when they know it's a game of keepaway and they'll win no matter what
True. I have toys all over the place. That's for when he's calm. Bastard needs to run.
[Reply]
vailpass 02:05 PM 04-27-2021
Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc:
We have a Bernese Mountain Dog that is as active as she is big. And she’s a BIG gal. The usual dog toys last about 30 minutes with her.

There is a bone toy that she loves, I’m not sure who makes it, but it’s a fairly large, hollow bone that comes filled with peanut butter. She spends hours working on those things.
Holy crap, yeah, BMDs are frigging horses. The peanut butter bone sounds cool. I spread chilled peanut butter on the wall in the shower when I wash him. Little dude is so busy trying to lick it he forgets to fight the bathing.
[Reply]
vailpass 02:06 PM 04-27-2021
Originally Posted by Straight, No Chaser:
This dog needs work... daily. Probably smarter than a lot of people I know. How much time & money do you have? One thing you could do is protection training for him and you. This would feed the high-drive and ultimately give you more control over him in all situations.

If you have a lot of time and want to travel... he could be trained to sniff Corona Virus in human sweat. However, once complete you would have to contract him (and yourself) out in order to get practice. In any event, that dog is smart and needs work or he's not happy.

I know excellent trainers in Tucson.
You sound like you know your Mals. Trained to sniff out CV in sweat? Really?
[Reply]
vailpass 02:07 PM 04-27-2021
Originally Posted by Dunerdr:
I have Brittany Spaniels. Originally i just had one male, and quickly realized i couldn't possibly keep this dog happy on my own. A second dog made all the difference. They play with each other all damn day and come in at night (mostly) calm and tolerable. The best thing i did was buy a house with two big oak trees, we have squirrels out the ass and they chase and watch them all damn day, its become their job and mission in life to protect our home from these vermin. And its a plus because all the running keeps them in shape for the few times a year we actually get to bird hunt.
I have seriously considered getting a second one for just the reasons you describe.
[Reply]
vailpass 02:08 PM 04-27-2021
Originally Posted by Oxford:
If you want to see a bond between handler and dog, search "Leader Dogs for the Blind" and "Client stories" on you tube. We have met the blind clients that have received the guide dog puppy we raised, and hear the stories of what the dog means to them..... its a cry fest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYHmttAgBFU
Wow.
[Reply]
vailpass 02:09 PM 04-27-2021
Originally Posted by tyecopeland:
I think my dog is mostly a jack Russell Chihuahua mix. Pretty low key but does love to run around with the neighbors husky.
Hah, sounds like a cool little doggo.
[Reply]
vailpass 02:10 PM 04-27-2021
Originally Posted by R Clark:
I’d never heard of that breed but he’s a good looking dog! We have a husky cross that’s also high energy to say the least.we live on a half section so plenty of room to run unfortunately it butts up to a state lake and camp ground.I can’t keep her from going to the camp ground and visiting.
Sounds like an ideal place for a dog. She's a lucky girl.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up