ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 14
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Media Center>Marvel - Black Widow
Sure-Oz 08:41 AM 12-03-2019
New teaser

@MarvelStudios: "I’m done running from my past." Watch the new teaser trailer for Marvel Studios’ #BlackWidow. In theaters May 1, 2020.

https://youtu.be/RxAtuMu_ph4
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:22 PM 07-11-2021
Originally Posted by Rams Fan:
Spoiler!

All in all, I thought it was an enjoyable film. I'm not sure how I feel about having the setting of the movie take place between Civil War and Infinity War as it just seems like those movies/Phase 3 seem to be completely done with at this point.
In one year, five years or ten, it won't matter when the film was released because when people decide to watch them in their chronological order, it will be seamless.

Black Widow definitely provides the motivation for Natasha's choice in Endgame as well.
[Reply]
Rams Fan 05:41 PM 07-11-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
In one year, five years or ten, it won't matter when the film was released because when people decide to watch them in their chronological order, it will be seamless.

Black Widow definitely provides the motivation for Natasha's choice in Endgame as well.
That’s a fair view and I get it. I just wish it was moreso before she was an Avenger or early on when she was an Avenger.

I had no problem with Ant-Man and the Wasp taking place during Infinity War and wish Black Widow was tied into Civil War/Infinity War as loosely as Ant-Man and the Wasp was. Cut a majority of those tie-ins and dive deeper into her family for possible expanded presence for future films and I think it would’ve been better.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:26 PM 07-11-2021
Originally Posted by Rams Fan:
That’s a fair view and I get it. I just wish it was moreso before she was an Avenger or early on when she was an Avenger.

I had no problem with Ant-Man and the Wasp taking place during Infinity War and wish Black Widow was tied into Civil War/Infinity War as loosely as Ant-Man and the Wasp was. Cut a majority of those tie-ins and dive deeper into her family for possible expanded presence for future films and I think it would’ve been better.
The movie seems to be doing well enough that if Marvel decided they want a sequel/prequel, the audience will be there but I kind of doubt that happens because I think Scarlett Johansson wants to move on from the role.

That said, I wouldn't be even a bit surprised if Marvel explores the Red Guardian in TV series form. Rachel Weisz might be a stretch for a TV series but David Harbour is right at home in the medium and I think the series could be a super fun watch.
[Reply]
Spott 07:18 PM 07-11-2021
I finally saw it this afternoon and thought it was pretty good. It does seem a little bit like Mission Impossible, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. This was the first time I’ve been to the theaters since last March so it was great to finally get back to the big screen.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 05:53 PM 07-12-2021

#BlackWidow not doing as well as hoped at the box office https://t.co/u4zub8YZmL

— Matt McGloin (@cosmicbooknews) July 12, 2021

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:54 PM 07-12-2021
That website is completely full of shit.

I've read their nonsense before and this "report" is no different. I actually blocked them from appearing in my Google searches.

Furthermore, they didn't include the $60 million earned from streaming, all of which goes directly to Disney.

If that had been collected at the Box Office, at least 20% of that would have gone to the theaters.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 05:59 PM 07-12-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
That website is completely full of shit. I've read their nonsense before and this "report" is no different.

I actually blocked them from appearing in my Google searches.
I thought it was odd as an outlier concerning the film.

Though I do believe Disney "cooked the books" with Brie Larson's Captain Marvel. With the shit she was pulling, I thought it would bomb like Melissa Mccarthy's Ghostbusters.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:09 PM 07-12-2021
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
I thought it was odd as an outlier concerning the film.

Though I do believe Disney "cooked the books" with Brie Larson's Captain Marvel. With the shit she was pulling, I thought it would bomb like Melissa Mccarthy's Ghostbusters.
Disney can't cook the books because they have to answer to shareholders. They go beyond G.A.A.P. standards in their accounting because they have to in order to see their stock price rise. We did the same at Paramount.

Disney's stock went up 4% today due to the success of Black Widow's Premium Streaming numbers.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:13 PM 07-12-2021
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bu...rs-1234978499/

“Black Widow” Numbers & Box-Office Recovery

Yesterday’s announcement by Disney of not just the box-office numbers but Disney+ Premier Access revenue for the opening weekend of Marvel Studios’ “Black Widow” has sent shockwaves throughout the industry.

This marked the first time the Mouse House has revealed such numbers and only the second time any premium video-on-demand (PVOD) title has released figures – the other being over a year ago when NBCUniversal chief Jeff Shell revealed “Trolls: World Tour” had earned more than $100 million. Otherwise, revenue-generating viewership numbers have been kept under wraps by major studios who’ve staked claims in PVOD waters. The move now puts the pressure on to reveal such information going forward with other releases, lest it looks like the studio is trying to hide a flop.

The “Black Widow” results meanwhile are being thoroughly analysed. At $30 for the premier access fee, it would appear just over 2 million of the 103 million global subscribers of Disney+ forked over extra to watch “Black Widow” on opening weekend. Disney had indicated that the majority of those who did were U.S. based, a claim that has been seemingly verified by third-party analytics firm Samba Analytics. They revealed that approximately 1.1 million of their sample of 3 million users tuned into “Black Widow” over the weekend.

Kelly Day, who overseas the Paramount+ service, says the numbers show that continued experimentation with theatrical windows is going to happen. She tells Deadline at Cannes: “The success this weekend of Black Widow on both the theatrical and on the streaming side speaks to not only the complexity of navigating these windows but also the opportunity. There is still an incredible opportunity for people who want to sit in the movie theater and have that experience, but also people who want to have the experience at home.”

The market has shown excitement for a streaming future as shares of publicly traded movie chains like AMC and Cinemark fell sharply Monday while Disney stock was up over 4%.

Part of the issue with the box-office is despite the uptake of vaccinations in the U.S. and U.K., many countries around the world are still very much gripped by the pandemic and the rapid-spreading Delta variant is causing lockdowns in numerous countries across the globe. Venues in the U.S. and Canada also remain shut for moviegoing at this time. Meanwhile PricewaterhouseCoopers has announced its annual Global Entertainment & Media Outlook report (via THR) which forecasts streaming to reach $94 billion by the end of 2025 (up 60%).

The report also suggests the global cinema industry faces a slow return to pre-pandemic levels, one that will take several years due to lingering reticence, the pandemic-induced global recession and shifts in consumer mindset and behavior. They say in their summary that they are “not forecasting cinema returning to 2019 revenue levels until 2024”.

PwC estimates global box office revenue fell from $40.7 billion in 2019 to $11.8 billion in 2020. They expect that will grow to $23.0 billion this year and climb back up to $41.6 billion in 2024 with the U.S. domestic market not reaching close to its 2019 levels until around 2025.
[Reply]
Jamie 06:55 PM 07-12-2021
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
Nah. The real lesson of those two movies is this internet culture war bullshit doesn't have much effect on the bottom line either way. Ghostbusters bombed because it sucked. Captain Marvel was a hit because it was decent and Marvel.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 09:03 PM 07-12-2021
Just got done watching this. It had a different feel and tone than any other MCU movie to date but, that doesn’t mean it isn’t an excellent addition to the universe.

It was a minor moment but, also one of my favorites, was when they tied into the first Avengers movie and gave the basic story behind the Budapest exchange between Nat and Clint.
[Reply]
ChiefBlueCFC 10:57 AM 07-13-2021
The girlfriend and I are currently watching all the Marvel movies in timeline order. We are at Guardians of the Galaxy 2, so there is 5 more movies then this one. I imagine we will go see it in the theater this weekend.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 12:11 PM 07-13-2021
Originally Posted by Jamie:
Nah. The real lesson of those two movies is this internet culture war bullshit doesn't have much effect on the bottom line either way. Ghostbusters bombed because it sucked. Captain Marvel was a hit because it was decent and Marvel.
Captain Marvel exploded because it bridged Infinity War and End Game, and people were real horny for MCU movies after IW.
[Reply]
Jamie 07:48 PM 07-13-2021
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
Captain Marvel exploded because it bridged Infinity War and End Game, and people were real horny for MCU movies after IW.
I mean, kind of. It was released between, but it was clear from the early reviews it wasn't actually laying much track for Endgame. I mean, Ant-Man and the Wasp came out between IW and Endgame too, and Captain Marvel grossed nearly double what it did.

It's funny, I hadn't really thought about it before, but Ant-Man and the Wasp is way more important plot-wise for Endgame. All you really need from Captain Marvel is a quick summary of her origin and the post-credit scene.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:45 PM 07-13-2021
Originally Posted by Jamie:
All you really need from Captain Marvel is a quick summary of her origin and the post-credit scene.
And the fact that the Skrulls had already invaded Earth.

The film also sets up Secret Invasion, which boasts an absolutely loaded cast and *appears* to the be the most important Marvel TV series that's been announced to date.

I didn't think that Captain Marvel was a "bad" movie, per se. It was well cast, well directed and had excellent VFX but the score was utterly forgettable, as was the story. Black Widow resonated with me because I wanted to know Natasha's backstory, which had been hinted at various times but we really didn't know much about her personal life, other than she'd been a trained assassin and defected from Russia/KBG.

Captain Marvel's story was lame. She was a hotshot pilot who was exposed to an Infinity Stone, which made her Top 5 in terms of the MCU's most powerful beings. She nearly single-handedly killed Thanos by herself in a just a few minutes of screen time, which made it even dumber that she had no idea that Thanos was searching for the final Infinity Stones and once acquired, would kill half of all life in the Universe.

She had zero excuses for not appearing in Infinity War.

It was just a poorly conceived movie and I'll never understand why it did as well as it did at the box office because even for all its flaws (Ghost was pretty weak, IMO), Ant-Man and the Wasp was infinitely more entertaining, IMO, and far more relevant to the end of Phase 3 and the beginning of Phase 4 than Captain Marvel.

Captain Marvel is just like, whatever.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 14
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Up