Page 6 of 7
« First < 23456 7 >
Media Center>Soparanos prequel movie trailer
BigRedChief 07:45 AM 06-30-2021

[Reply]
BigBeauford 03:16 PM 10-03-2021
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
I've watched every single episode at least once, huge fan

But if the story is primarily about Dickie Moltisanti, with a bunch of racial justice themes shoehorned in... I'll still watch it, but won't be in a big hurry to do so

When a liberal like Beauford is basically saying "the racial stuff seemed out of place and heavy handed" its probably pretty bad
We will get right to telling you the origin story of Dickie (that's right you schmucks!), but first let's take 20 minutes to remind you how much America was sucky for black folks back in the day. Come on, remeeeeember.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 03:19 PM 10-03-2021
Originally Posted by MTG#10:
I don't need to see movies like that either, just anything that doesn't go out of its way to point out how evil white people are. If race relations are the main plot of the movie/show its one thing, but damn near every other thing I watch has to throw in subtle jabs that have nothing to do with the overall plot. I get it, we're all pieces of shit and we're the only race who's racist. :-)
So what you want is the vast majority of media that is out there. :-)

I looked through this list (https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com...1-best-movies/) and found, perhaps, two movies on the list that "goes out of its way to point out how evil white people are".
[Reply]
Easy 6 03:24 PM 10-03-2021
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
We will get right to telling you the origin story of Dickie (that's right you schmucks!), but first let's take 20 minutes to remind you how much America was sucky for black folks back in the day. Come on, remeeeeember.
Yeah man I just don't see the need for that side story in a gangster drama

But I DID enjoy the Master Genius episodes, where it turns out Hesh had ripped off tons of black artists back in the day... that kinda stuff definitely happened, and it made for an interesting story
[Reply]
Dallas Chief 04:43 PM 10-03-2021
Sucked. Came for a Sopranos movie, and watched some weak social commentary on race relations.
I didn't get that at all. Maybe because I don't give a shit about social commentary and people of all colors were equally despicable in the movie? Name one character that was a hero. I surely cannot.
[Reply]
Dallas Chief 04:45 PM 10-03-2021
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
What the hell does that solve? We don't "finally" know shit. He did that on purpose. He wanted to leave it as he is dead, no he's not. All these years later he's still being ambiguous. As the creative guy, he can chose how he wants it to end. We get to tell him forever how much we hate his choice.

That wasn't a choice that needed to be made. We didn't need Tony to die or live happily ever after. He set it up with all the people coming in and out, the dramatic music swelling, Tony looking up, everyone seemingly happy, we are expecting something eventful to happen and then completely dark.

People thought their cable had went out because it was such a weird choice. They called their cable companies demanding to know how the show ended.

One of the worst choices ever to end a popular show.
Oh come on, the credits rolled 15 seconds later. Do you actually know anyone that did that or did you just read that in Entertainment Weekly?
[Reply]
Mennonite 06:08 PM 10-03-2021
As a general rule any movie that takes place in the past and is set in America is going to have some sort of "Racism is bad....mmmkay?" message.

My favorite such scene is from Band of Brothers where some chick's mind is blown when she hears that there is racial strife in the south in the 1960s. It was like the "We landed on the moon?!" scene played completely straight.
[Reply]
Cheater5 06:34 PM 10-03-2021
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
As a general rule any movie that takes place in the past and is set in America is going to have some sort of "Racism is bad....mmmkay?" message.

My favorite such scene is from Band of Brothers where some chick's mind is blown when she hears that there is racial strife in the south in the 1960s. It was like the "We landed on the moon?!" scene played completely straight.

Wut? Band of Brothers was about a company of paratroopers in Europe during WWII.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 06:48 PM 10-03-2021
I thought it was perfect. Exactly what I had hoped to see. It's for fans of the show, not people who are coming at the series blind.

There were race riots (as per the historical backdrop), but there was no point where I thought it leaned strongly in any overtly political direction that overwhelmed the story.

I can agree that it seems more a backstory of Dickie Moltasante than Tony Soprano, but so what? That was his mentor. And you can see the impact it had on him.

Didn't blow me away by any stretch, but scratched the itch that I hoped it would.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 06:56 PM 10-03-2021
Originally Posted by Cheater5:
Wut? Band of Brothers was about a company of paratroopers in Europe during WWII.
Was it over when the Germans bombed Woodstock?!?!
[Reply]
Cheater5 07:03 PM 10-03-2021
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Was it over when the Germans bombed Woodstock?!?!
Ok.

Shit went right over my head.

I’ll go with “Taking things Too Literally” for $400, Alex.
[Reply]
vailpass 10:09 AM 10-04-2021
Sucked. Came for a Sopranos movie, and watched some weak social commentary on race relations.
This. The movie sucked out loud. Can we please get back to entertainment?
[Reply]
Mennonite 10:19 AM 10-04-2021
Originally Posted by Cheater5:

I meant We Were Soldiers (2002). Sorry about that. Edit: or maybe it's something else. My memory is shot.
[Reply]
notorious 10:49 AM 10-04-2021
Parents said it wasn't good. I will still watch, but damn.

They love the Sopranos.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 11:17 AM 10-04-2021
Originally Posted by notorious:
Parents said it wasn't good. I will still watch, but damn.

They love the Sopranos.
Another problem this movie has is it's overstuffed. They are trying to tell way too much story in the time they have. Would have been a better mini-series imo. Some of the cuts from scene to scene are so jarring.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 11:42 AM 10-04-2021
Another problem this movie has is it's overstuffed. They are trying to tell way too much story in the time they have. Would have been a better mini-series imo. Some of the cuts from scene to scene are so jarring.
The only potentially good thing about the movie is that it sets up more Sopranos content/movies.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 7
« First < 23456 7 >
Up