[Reply]
Pepe Silvia 04:53 PM 09-19-2021
Originally Posted by Otter:
One of my favorite and funniest scenes

Mix it with the relish.
[Reply]
SuperChief 03:18 PM 09-21-2021
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
I was a little late to The Sopranos and when I was binging it I had endless dreams that I was a target of a mob hit.

It's a seminal drama that ended on an uneven note. I've been waiting for this iteration for awhile and it'll be interesting to see how it ends up and whether there are any spinoffs.

And Carmela Soprano (Edie Falco) is my neighbor. Absolutely lovely and charming woman. And in real life she's friends with Janice Soprano (Aidia Turturro) who regularly watches her place, dogs, kids, etc.

Such good vibes when I think about that show and its cast.
I'm a huge Sopranos fan, so I'm getting in the weeds a bit here:

One of the more interesting things I've seen is how seemingly "disconnected" Edie Falco and James Gandolfini were in real life. Every interview I've seen with her, especially those after his death, Edie's relationship with James seems waaaay different than what I would have expected, given their on-screen chemistry. Just goes to show you how talented she is as an actress.
[Reply]
Otter 03:47 PM 09-21-2021
Originally Posted by PackerinMo:
Mix it with the relish.

Chris- "I'll leave you here you one shoe cocksucker! You know how fast I can run, I'll leave you in the fucking dust!"
[Reply]
Pepe Silvia 02:03 PM 09-25-2021
Originally Posted by SuperChief:

One of the more interesting things I've seen is how seemingly "disconnected" Edie Falco and James Gandolfini were in real life. Every interview I've seen with her, especially those after his death, Edie's relationship with James seems waaaay different than what I would have expected, given their on-screen chemistry. Just goes to show you how talented she is as an actress.
He mentioned in an interview years ago that he loved her a lot. I mean he went completely Gaga for her and said “he just loves that woman.”
[Reply]
TwistedChief 08:10 PM 09-29-2021
Originally Posted by SuperChief:

Edie used to drink a lot but then got sober and had difficulty interacting with the rest of the cast because they were pretty hard-charging in that respect. I imagine that's a large part of it.

I only learned the above through googling when we were getting gifts for our neighbors and had planned for champagne but switched to a nice floral arrangement instead!

Only two days before the prequel drops...
[Reply]
SuperChief 08:16 AM 09-30-2021
Originally Posted by PackerinMo:
He mentioned in an interview years ago that he loved her a lot. I mean he went completely Gaga for her and said “he just loves that woman.”
I don't know much about their relationship from his perspective, so that's cool to hear. I was speaking mainly from her end of things. TC's perspective above ^ shines some good light there, thanks for that addition.

So stoked for the prequel. I'm powering through the series again (for the millionth time) in preparation.
[Reply]
notorious 06:41 PM 10-01-2021
We finally know. From David Chase himself:

Originally Posted by :
No matter what song we picked, I wanted it to be a song that would have been from Tony's high school years, or his youth ... When I wrote it, there were three songs in contention for this last song, and 'Don't Stop Believin'' was the one that seemed to work the best. I think it's a really good rock 'n' roll song. The music is very important to me in terms of the timing of the scene, the rhythm of the scene. The song dictates part of the pace. And having certain lyrics of the song, and certain instrumental flourishes happen in certain places, dictates what the cuts will be. I directed the scene to fit the song ... I felt that [Tony and Carmela] had taken the midnight train a long time ago. That is their life. It means that these people are looking for something inevitable. Something they couldn't find. I mean, they didn't become missionaries in Africa or go to college together or do anything like that. They took the midnight train going anywhere. And the midnight train, you know, is the dark train.
On family:

Meadow is filled with nothing but very, very deep emotions about parking her car. But possibly a minute later, her head will be filled with emotions she could never even imagine. We all take this stuff so seriously—losing our keys, parking our car, a winter cold, a summer cold, an allergy—whatever it is. And this stuff fills our mind from second to second, moment to moment. And the big moment is always out there waiting ...

A lot of the audience I gathered doesn't like A.J.; they think he's a useless, spoiled fool. But there's also something about him that is earnest. He's got his father's kind of questioning and kind of little boy innocence. When I see Tony reach across and grab his arm [when he arrives], it makes me feel really good. Not only that, I'll tell you who else is reaching across the table, that's Jim Gandolfini reaching across to Robert Iler in the last scene they're going to do together. I never talked about it with them, but I know for a fact.
On the final moment:

I said to Gandolfini, the bell rings and you look up. That last shot of Tony ends on 'don't stop,' it's mid-song. I'm not going to go into [if that's Tony's POV]. I thought the possibility would go through a lot of people's minds or maybe everybody's mind that he was killed. He might have gotten shot three years ago in that situation. But he didn't. Whether this is the end here, or not, it's going to come at some point for the rest of us. Hopefully we're not going to get shot by some rival gang mob or anything like that. I'm not saying that [happened]. But obviously he stood more of a chance of getting shot by a rival gang mob than you or I do because he put himself in that situation. All I know is the end is coming for all of us.

I thought the ending would be somewhat jarring, sure. But not to the extent it was, and not a subject of such discussion. I really had no idea about that. I never considered the black a shot. I just thought what we see is black. The ceiling I was going for at that point, the biggest feeling I was going for, honestly, was don't stop believing. It was very simple and much more on the nose than people think.

[Reply]
Halfcan 09:51 PM 10-01-2021
The Dickie story was pretty good. It had a young Tony Soprano in it for a few scenes as well. It left me wanting an entire series.
[Reply]
Dallas Chief 10:18 PM 10-01-2021
Really good. Brought back a lot of old feelings about the show.Hope everyone enjoys it as much as I did.
[Reply]
Gadzooks 11:04 PM 10-01-2021

[Reply]
underEJ 11:24 PM 10-01-2021
I enjoyed it too. Maybe not as much as the show which I loved from the very first episode. I am one of the few who actually really liked the ending. What’s it like to live knowing any open door is a potential hit? I needed 86 episodes (okay maybe they could have done it in 75) to actually understand the geese panic attack fully. I actually kind of felt the panic for him in that last scene. In this movie, Vera Farmiga was fantastic. Corey Stoll too. And little Gandolfini has so much of his dad in him. I liked the Dickie story but it wasn’t anywhere as fucked up as Tony’s family story from the series. Perhaps the Junior interplay could have been stronger to meet the burden of that deep knowledge of Junior from the show. Dickie just seemed a bit shallow compared to the rest of the characters. Even Christopher as a baby has seasons of character development. Dickie seemed like an awesome guest star in an episode. It’s not a huge gripe. I really did enjoy it
[Reply]
Mennonite 10-02-2021, 09:48 AM
This message has been deleted by Mennonite.
BigRedChief 12:15 PM 10-02-2021
Originally Posted by notorious:
We finally know. From David Chase himself:
What the hell does that solve? We don't "finally" know shit. He did that on purpose. He wanted to leave it as he is dead, no he's not. All these years later he's still being ambiguous. As the creative guy, he can chose how he wants it to end. We get to tell him forever how much we hate his choice.

That wasn't a choice that needed to be made. We didn't need Tony to die or live happily ever after. He set it up with all the people coming in and out, the dramatic music swelling, Tony looking up, everyone seemingly happy, we are expecting something eventful to happen and then completely dark.

People thought their cable had went out because it was such a weird choice. They called their cable companies demanding to know how the show ended.

One of the worst choices ever to end a popular show.
[Reply]
Mennonite 12:19 PM 10-02-2021
I think he set it up the cliffhanger/non-ending to put pressure on HBO for a Soparanos movie.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 06:01 PM 10-02-2021
Sucked. Came for a Sopranos movie, and watched some weak social commentary on race relations.
[Reply]
MTG#10 06:31 PM 10-02-2021
It's getting shit on big time on Reddit. I enjoyed it for the most part, but can Hollywood produce one single script that doesn't revolve around how evil white people are? It's getting tiresome.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 7
< 1234 567 >
Up