ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 8
« First < 23456 78 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Two Dudes Visiting KC For a Weekend
GabyKeepsMeWarm 02:45 AM 04-09-2024
So my best buddy is gonna visit me in the heartland.

Lil background…. We both lived and worked in NYC for about 15 years in the film/tv industry. In that world, you run into a million faces, but you also run into many of the same faces and it becomes a very small world, of sorts.

Through so many shows, we became buddies. And we’ve actually probably become closer friends since we both left NYC. Him going to BC, me going back to Kansas.

He traveled to KC along with a couple other very close friends to KC in 2015 for the Astros series. We lost game one, won game two and the four of us had a great time, and they basically joined me on the trip simply to see me be happy about this unique event!

Fast forward a couple weeks, and it’s the Mets/Royals in the World Series. My buddy asks me, of all people, if I’d like to join him for Game 5. Buddy is a Mets fan. He could’ve asked a million other people. But he asked me. I was pretty overwhelmed. We had standing room tix, and watched the game as Matt Harvey carved up the Royals until our boys in blue tied it up in the 9th and then the rest is history.

So there’s some prologue…. Now we’re both nine years older, and we’re gonna try to be “kids” again. Taking in some weekend baseball, adult beverages, etc…

There’s a few spots I have in mind to check out, but I’d like to see some thoughts, suggestions from the locals.

I’m certain to get some easy bad jokes here, and I’m prepared, so if you’re gonna joke about two middle aged buddies seeing each other for the first time in about two years, at least make it good.

Otherwise, gimme some suggestions. Negro League HOF, Boulevard Brewery, Joe’s, Fiorella’s, Gates, Arthur Bryant’s is covered. Those are obvious.
[Reply]
Third Eye 07:35 PM 04-09-2024
Originally Posted by JimNasium:
I’m not elderly yet and I agree with your assessment.
Originally Posted by wazu:
As divided as this place may be, I'd be surprised if even one person on this site disagrees with that statement.
Typically when I voice this opinion, I take a lot of heat from the boomers. And for what it’s worth, I completely understand and respect their place in the history of KC BBQ. I just also recognize that they’ve lived on their names and not the quality of their food for a couple decades now.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 09:50 PM 04-09-2024
People have known AB's and scream at a honkey have been shitty for years
[Reply]
threebag 04:14 AM 04-10-2024
Originally Posted by alanm:
What am I missing here?
Hopefully not the Morano, good luck :-)
[Reply]
threebag 04:18 AM 04-10-2024
Originally Posted by GabyKeepsMeWarm:
Hahaha... jesus... so this turned out about how I expected. CP really knows how to deliver when there's low hanging fruit...

At any rate, I do appreciate some of the suggestions. I only mentioned Arthur Bryants and Gates because I know the reputation, I've been there before, and I've seen the decline. We won't be hitting those up. Though Joes and Fiorella's are always in play. Would like to explore a new bbq joint though, if anyone has a suggestion. Any good Indian, Thai, Italian or steakhouses that I don't know about?

Figured we'd go to the Negro Leauges museum, City Market, Boulevard Brewery and maybe the WWI Museum. But I like the idea of the whiskey suggestions. What are the better jazz clubs? I've heard there are some after hours joints that might be worth checking out.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. It's gonna be difficult making time for everything, between all the hedonistic gay sex, but hopefully we'll manage.
Just bring golf clubs and hit the links
[Reply]
SurroundedByMorons 08:41 AM 04-10-2024
Originally Posted by srvy:
So what's your suggestion for the best steak in town? I have never had a bad steak at Majestic I can't say that for a lot of steakhouses in the area.
Go to Broadway butcher, purchase steak, expertly grill it yourself.
[Reply]
loochy 09:09 AM 04-10-2024

via GIPHY

[Reply]
ptlyon 09:13 AM 04-10-2024
Thought of that myself loochy :-)
[Reply]
Vladimir_Kyrilytch 10:47 AM 04-10-2024
Is Jack Stack a must for a young middle-aged KC visitor? If a middle-aged youngster had time for TWO epic BBQ places, which two would they be?
[Reply]
Bearcat 10:51 AM 04-10-2024
Originally Posted by Vladimir_Kyrilytch:
Is Jack Stack a must for a young middle-aged KC visitor? If a middle-aged youngster had time for TWO epic BBQ places, which two would they be?
KC Joe's twice.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 10:56 AM 04-10-2024
Get the pork belly at Q39
[Reply]
Fish 11:03 AM 04-10-2024
Originally Posted by Vladimir_Kyrilytch:
OK Joes and Slaps. Be prepared to wait in line for a bit at either place if you arrive around standard lunch/dinner time.

Jack Stack is good. But their best product are their sides. The entrees are average to good. Not bad BBQ, but there's definitely better around town.
[Reply]
srvy 11:09 AM 04-10-2024
Originally Posted by SurroundedByMorons:
Go to Broadway butcher, purchase steak, expertly grill it yourself.
Thanks for the advice but I have a wife who likes to go out to eat and loves steak. The times I do grill steaks at home I make a trip to Paradise Lockers and pick my own. Either way I'm happy she is happy. Also 20 years on the road traveling the pipelines being away for weeks without returning home she deserves getting out and about.
[Reply]
vonBobo 12:13 PM 04-10-2024
Greenlady for jazz is great. Another I haven't seen mentioned is The Phoenix.

The Nelson Atkins is great for artsy types, it is better than many of the well known museums on the east coast but isn't as well known.

The wings at The Peanut are great, there are a couple locations around town.

Chappels restaurant and bar is a must for a sports fan. Skip the food (lots of bland) and go at an odd time so you can browse the collection with fewer patrons in the way.

If either of you like aviation the Airline History Museum is a great option.

The Brick or Zoo Bar for dive bar. The Brick has good bar food at good prices.

Westport is a nice place to drink and wander. The River Market is cool, but if you don't go to the river boat museum it is just some shops and restaurants. The plaza is same, nice place to browse but might not be a lot there to do.

You could go to power and light and gaze upon an empty concrete slab where hundreds of people stand during the super bowl.
[Reply]
Bearcat 12:43 PM 04-10-2024
Originally Posted by vonBobo:

You could go to power and light and gaze upon an empty concrete slab where hundreds of people stand during the super bowl.
And enjoy the most watered down drinks in the city (at least since Lucky Strike left).
[Reply]
KCUnited 01:19 PM 04-10-2024
If you really want to feel middle age hit Jim's in the Crossroads at night. Maybe it was the night I was there but I had to have had 20 years on everyone in there

Otherwise I'd pull up to Buzzard Beach and toss a toothpick in the urinal so the crabs can pole vault
[Reply]
Page 6 of 8
« First < 23456 78 >
Up