ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 35
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Media Center>House of the Dragon
BlackOp 01:40 PM 08-22-2022
Originally Posted by Buehler445:

And like this carriage. Shit looks like it’s straight off a syfy set.

I noticed that carriage design too for what it's worth...like a b-movie prop.
[Reply]
BlackOp 03:06 AM 08-22-2022
I only realized two days ago that this wasn't the same series as that woke Hobbit trash Amazon is about to release... I have deliberately avoided any information on that.

I knew nothing about it...thought it was a good start...then again I wasn't comparing it to GOT and had low expectations.

It'll be interesting where is goes...GOT had a million sub plots, wars, and the threat of White Walkers always looming. It jumped around every week which helped keep the pace engaging. This is focused on one family, no war and no White Walkers....seems more like Succession in a fantasy setting.

Hopefully it takes on a life of it's own....like Better Call Saul did.
[Reply]
DRM08 07:17 PM 08-22-2022
Originally Posted by BlackOp:
I only realized two days ago that this wasn't the same series as that woke Hobbit trash Amazon is about to release... I have deliberately avoided any information on that.

I knew nothing about it...thought it was a good start...then again I wasn't comparing it to GOT and had low expectations.

It'll be interesting where is goes...GOT had a million sub plots, wars, and the threat of White Walkers always looming. It jumped around every week which helped keep the pace engaging. This is focused on one family, no war and no White Walkers....seems more like Succession in a fantasy setting.

Hopefully it takes on a life of it's own....like Better Call Saul did.
There is a civil war brewing in the Targaryen family...a civil war involving dragons. It's gonna be pretty awesome I think.
[Reply]
listopencil 09:05 AM 08-22-2022
Less than three minutes into the very first episode and they've managed to piss me off. I hate exposition. It's lazy storytelling. The worst kind is narration. The second worst kind is text thrown up on the screen. The shittiest way to do words on a screen is to play with the text to make sure your dumb-as-fuck audience gets it.
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 10:18 AM 08-22-2022
Originally Posted by listopencil:
Less than three minutes into the very first episode and they've managed to piss me off. I hate exposition. It's lazy storytelling. The worst kind is narration. The second worst kind is text thrown up on the screen. The shittiest way to do words on a screen is to play with the text to make sure your dumb-as-**** audience gets it.
I had the exact same reaction. But the show, for a first episode with a lot to set up, was otherwise off to a good start.
[Reply]
listopencil 10:35 AM 08-22-2022
Originally Posted by RINGLEADER:
I had the exact same reaction. But the show, for a first episode with a lot to set up, was otherwise off to a good start.
Sure. The story is interesting enough and there are certain actors/characters who are compelling. I will give it a shot.
[Reply]
listopencil 07:46 PM 08-22-2022
Originally Posted by RINGLEADER:
After watching the episode my impression is that it was supposed to begin with that dragon flight over the city. Then a group of dumb fuckers watching it convinced themselves that the show was all about a younger version of Dany so they added the exposition.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 08:07 PM 08-22-2022
Originally Posted by listopencil:
After watching the episode my impression is that it was supposed to begin with that dragon flight over the city. Then a group of dumb fuckers watching it convinced themselves that the show was all about a younger version of Dany so they added the exposition.
Wow. Never seen someone so upset about an exposition. If this show is humming by season 2 episode 4, are you still going to be harboring resentment because of this deep slight in narration?

It's over. Enjoy the show.
[Reply]
listopencil 05:47 AM 08-23-2022
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
Wow. Never seen someone so upset about an exposition. If this show is humming by season 2 episode 4, are you still going to be harboring resentment because of this deep slight in narration?

It's over. Enjoy the show.
I've seen exactly one episode. The opening was stupid, and I still watched it through to the end. Meanwhile here you are white knighting a TV show for some reason. Get a grip.
[Reply]
staylor26 09:43 AM 08-22-2022
Lol what a silly thing to get worked up about.
[Reply]
Pogue 11:35 AM 08-22-2022
Read somewhere it cost 20-30 million an episode for House of Dragon. GoT cost somewhere around 100 million for an entire season.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:40 AM 08-22-2022
Originally Posted by Pogue:
Read somewhere it cost 20-30 million an episode for House of Dragon. GoT cost somewhere around 100 million for an entire season.
Holy shit.

[dork]I'd be interested in the inflation numbers in that industry. Typically technology makes any specific scene cheaper, but I'm guessing that's not the case in 2022. I'd pay to see a comprehensive analysis.[/dork]

My opinion. Don't fuck up the details that will take me out of it, even if it means pulling back from pitch scenes.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 01:05 PM 08-22-2022
They spent $200 million on this season. Another $100 million to promote the show.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 01:36 PM 08-22-2022
That got me wondering how money is made..

Google says HBO ended 2021 with 48.6 million subscribers. To make math simple, assume they get $10 per subscriber per month. Assume the average subscriber only holds the subscription for 6 months. HBO takes in almost $3 billion.

And that's just American subscribers. Apparently there are over 70 billion global subscribers.

I'm sure they're doling out a ton on original series production, movie/TV show rights, tech guys to keep the app running smoothly, etc. but damn. Seems like they're raking in cash.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 04:28 PM 08-22-2022
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
That got me wondering how money is made..

Google says HBO ended 2021 with 48.6 million subscribers. To make math simple, assume they get $10 per subscriber per month. Assume the average subscriber only holds the subscription for 6 months. HBO takes in almost $3 billion.

And that's just American subscribers. Apparently there are over 70 billion global subscribers.

I'm sure they're doling out a ton on original series production, movie/ tv show rights, tech guys to keep the app running smoothly, etc. but damn. Seems like they're raking in cash.
HBO said they made $2 Billion in profit off GOT. Probably wrote off another $8 Billion to avoid taxes.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 35
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Up