ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 14 of 39
« First < 41011121314 1516171824 > Last »
Media Center>Lord of the Rings - Rings of Power
listopencil 06:47 AM 08-31-2022
Meh. I can understand people being annoyed because fantasy is a genre of fiction where different races actually do exist unlike the real world. It's also a genre with ancient origins so you are going to see examples of racism bleeding through the pages, in subtext if not clearly stated. I watched Danzel Washington play MacBeth in The Tragedy Of MacBeth a while ago. At no point did I give a single fuck that a black guy was playing MacBeth. He was freaking awesome in it. The guy is a bad ass actor. Probably my favorite current one. So if these dipshits put on a good show then no one will care. If it's shitty then it will be just one more thing to bitch about.
[Reply]
kcpasco 09:41 AM 08-31-2022
It will be so immersive watching Galadriel dual wield lightsabers while shouting this is Sparta.
[Reply]
ModSocks 09:53 AM 08-31-2022
I just remembered, didn't Claydolf The Incel make some posts about the Orcs being too "white" due to wokeism and Hollywood's message that whitey is bad? I'm not gonna go digging for it but im 110% positive i had that conversation with that beta.

The dwarves are too black!

The elves are too gay!

The orcs are too white!

:-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
staylor26 11:19 AM 08-31-2022
It's pretty simple.

Either the show turns out to be good/great, and the diversity push is a non-issue, or it's a disaster, which would make it obvious that the showrunners are more worried about diversity than making a great show.

I'm personally excited to watch on Friday, but I'm still cautiously optimistic in terms of expectations.
[Reply]
staylor26 11:20 AM 08-31-2022
I also want to point out that from fans, the complains go well beyond a black elf.

Making Galadriel a warrior is a perfect example of one of the other red flags.

It also doesn't help when the showrunners and Amazon themselves are using the diversity push as a huge selling point.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 11:34 AM 08-31-2022
I'm much more worried about the show paling in comparison to the LOTR movies and therefore being a huge disappointment as a result than any of the seemingly contrived criticism about wokeness for a show nobody has seen yet.

Either way, we'll find out soon enough what's going on. Early reviews today coming out are pretty good.
[Reply]
ModSocks 12:03 PM 08-31-2022
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
I'm much more worried about the show paling in comparison to the LOTR movies
Have you gone back and watched the movies recently? I felt like i really enjoyed them when i was younger. Now....eh. Felt like they didn't age that well.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 12:05 PM 08-31-2022
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Have you gone back and watched the movies recently? I felt like i really enjoyed them when i was younger. Now....eh. Felt like they didn't age that well.
Watched them in the last few years. They're still great (at least for me).
[Reply]
ModSocks 12:06 PM 08-31-2022
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
Watched them in the last few years. They're still great (at least for me).
Maybe ive just seen them too many times. For me, it kinda lost some magic.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 01:32 PM 08-31-2022
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Clay is a outstanding citizen, but Bleedingred is just misunderstood.
Lol Man, hell nah. BleedingRed is a huge, unapologetic racist.

Originally Posted by staylor26:
I also want to point out that from fans, the complains go well beyond a black elf.

Making Galadriel a warrior is a perfect example of one of the other red flags.

It also doesn't help when the showrunners and Amazon themselves are using the diversity push as a huge selling point.
That is a major change and I hadn't even heard of that. Not one mention of it in this thread.. but there's been a lot of crying about black people.

I'm sure you can understand why I'd question some people's thought process.
[Reply]
staylor26 01:33 PM 08-31-2022
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:

That is a major change and I hadn't even heard of that. Not one mention of it in this thread.. but there's been a lot of crying about black people.

I get it, which is why I try to come from a place of genuine concern as opposed to using emotionally charged language to express that, or jsut flat out troll like Clay.

There are scenes with Galadriel in full armor looking like she's going to battle in the trailers though FYI.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 02:08 PM 08-31-2022
Originally Posted by staylor26:
But we should be able to point out red flags, and instead of just throwing terms like "woke" around, I think it's a more productive discussion when you're specific.
Honestly, I don't think I've had any issue with anything you've said here. You articulate your issues and take a wait-and-see approach.

It's the brainless crowd that gets me. Clay is their ringleader. Here lately we've also gotten "Why don't they just write their own stories!?!" and "Well they can't even read/write!". That's just dumb.
[Reply]
Fish 04:26 PM 08-31-2022

Technically, Tolkien wrote Unfinished Tales right before he died, that explained how Galadriel fought in Faenor's rebellion. The Kinslayer. Not much detail at all. But I think that's what they're going for in the trailer.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 09:06 AM 09-02-2022
Originally Posted by Fish:
Technically, Tolkien wrote Unfinished Tales right before he died, that explained how Galadriel fought in Faenor's rebellion. The Kinslayer. Not much detail at all. But I think that's what they're going for in the trailer.
I knew I probably should have kept my mouth shut on that one.

I bought the LoTR book that has all three combined and I'm only like 1/4 the way through so I don't have enough knowledge about the lore to speak on it.

These dudes haven't even made it to Bree yet lol just left Tom Bombadil's house.
[Reply]
staylor26 09:19 AM 09-02-2022
I knew I probably should have kept my mouth shut on that one.

I bought the LoTR book that has all three combined and I'm only like 1/4 the way through so I don't have enough knowledge about the lore to speak on it.

These dudes haven't even made it to Bree yet lol just left Tom Bombadil's house.
From what I understand, what they've done to Galadriel's character goes far beyond her having one fight/battle like that.

I'm starting it tonight. We shall see.
[Reply]
Page 14 of 39
« First < 41011121314 1516171824 > Last »
Up