ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 587 of 726
« First < 87487537577583584585586587 588589590591597637687 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>New Conference re-alignment thread
Saulbadguy 07:57 AM 09-12-2011
The old one has AIDS.

Anyways, Chip Brown from Orangebloods.com reports OU may apply to the Pac-12 by the end of the month.

Oklahoma will apply for membership to the Pac-12 before the end of the month, and Oklahoma State is expected to follow suit, a source close to OU's administration told Orangebloods.com.

Even though Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott said Friday the Pac-12 was not interested in expansion at this time, OU's board of regents is fed up with the instability in the Big 12, the source said.

The OU board of regents will meet within two weeks to formalize plans to apply for membership to the Pac-12, the source said.

Messages left Sunday night with OU athletic director Joe Castiglione and Oklahoma State athletic director Mike Holder were not immediately returned.

If OU follows through with what appears to be a unanimous sentiment on the seven-member Oklahoma board of regents to leave the Big 12, realignment in college athletics could be heating back up. OU's application would be matched by an application from Oklahoma State, the source said, even though OSU president Burns Hargis and mega-booster Boone Pickens both voiced their support for the Big 12 last Thursday.

There is differing sentiment about if the Pac-12 presidents and chancellors are ready to expand again after bringing in Colorado and Utah last year and landing $3 billion TV contracts from Fox and ESPN. Colorado president Bruce Benson told reporters last week CU would be opposed to any expansion that might bring about east and west divisions in the Pac-12.

Currently, there are north and south divisions in the Pac-12. If OU and OSU were to join, Larry Scott would have to get creative.

Scott's orginal plan last summer was to bring in Colorado, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State and put them in an eastern division with Arizona and Arizona State. The old Pac-8 schools (USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State) were to be in the west division.

Colorado made the move in June 2010, but when Texas A&M was not on board to go west, the Big 12 came back together with the help of its television partners (ABC/ESPN and Fox).

If Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were accepted into the Pac-12, there would undoubtedly be a hope by Larry Scott that Texas would join the league. But Texas sources have indicated UT is determined to hang onto the Longhorn Network, which would not be permissible in the Pac-12 in its current form.

Texas sources continue to indicate to Orangebloods.com that if the Big 12 falls apart, the Longhorns would consider "all options."

Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe held an emergency conference call 10 days ago with league presidents excluding Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M and asked the other league presidents to "work on Texas" because Beebe didn't think the Pac-12 would take Oklahoma without Texas.

Now, it appears OU is willing to take its chances with the Pac-12 with or without Texas.

There seemed to be a temporary pause in any possible shifting of the college athletics' landscape when Baylor led a charge to tie up Texas A&M's move to the Southeastern Conference in legal red tape. BU refused to waive its right to sue the SEC over A&M's departure from the Big 12, and the SEC said it would not admit Texas A&M until it had been cleared of any potential lawsuits.

Baylor, Kansas and Iowa State have indicated they will not waive their right to sue the SEC.

It's unclear if an application by OU to the Pac-12 would draw the same threats of litigation against the Pac-12 from those Big 12 schools.

Stay tuned.
[Reply]
Mizzou_8541 04:46 PM 07-24-2021
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:

This move does 2 things:

1. Takes OU/Tex from $37M payouts to 57M, or about whatbrhe SEC is promising them

2. Reduces the others from $37M to $32M.
Could the big 12 be any more pathetic? Lololol
[Reply]
007 04:49 PM 07-24-2021

This move does 2 things:

1. Takes OU/Tex from $37M payouts to 57M, or about whatbrhe SEC is promising them

What a joke. The league needs to disband.
[Reply]
RustShack 04:50 PM 07-24-2021
Originally Posted by Mizzou_8541:
Could the big 12 be any more pathetic? Lololol
A few things here, I’m sure the Big12 commissioner would like to keep his job so he’s trying. Then after Texas and Oklahoma leave, half the leftovers are looking at joining the PAC, which would probably mean making less than what you would giving Texas and Oklahoma more to stay. Obviously two could get lucky and go to the B1G making more, and then something similar going to the ACC. Then there’s Baylor who’s probably left out.
[Reply]
Mizzou_8541 04:58 PM 07-24-2021
Originally Posted by RustShack:
A few things here, I’m sure the Big12 commissioner would like to keep his job so he’s trying. Then after Texas and Oklahoma leave, half the leftovers are looking at joining the PAC, which would probably mean making less than what you would giving Texas and Oklahoma more to stay. Obviously two could get lucky and go to the B1G making more, and then something similar going to the ACC. Then there’s Baylor who’s probably left out.
For sure. Good point.
[Reply]
R Clark 04:59 PM 07-24-2021
Again. I don’t care who you are a fan of. You’re letting your emotions get the best of you.

Mizzou didn’t have to reach out. Ku did.

Spend less time worrying about me and Mizzou. Spend some time with your girlfriend or kids or something. I shouldn’t be as embedded in your brain as I am.
Sounds like ku is in your head I’d take your own advice. No one gives a shit about the pukes the doormat of the sec lol
[Reply]
Mizzou_8541 04:59 PM 07-24-2021
Originally Posted by R Clark:
Sounds like ku is in your head I’d take your own advice. No one gives a shit about the pukes the doormat of the sec lol
What conference are you in.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 05:00 PM 07-24-2021
Originally Posted by tredadda:
I am not a KU basher, but I ask honestly why would they? What does KU bring to the table? They don't check off any boxes that this expansion and realignment is about. Weak FB program, small media market (KC is not purely KU territory). If basketball was a driving force then they could have just offered an invite to a Villanova or Georgetown (much larger markets).

I do hope KU lands on their feet and it would be cool if they make it to the B1G, I just don't see what that conference gains from KU joining.

KU brings nothing to the table.

Football is the driving force of realignment & KU brings what 2-3 wins per year over mid-major schools. I’m sure the B1G can’t wait for that. I can see them cutting a deal with KU as a minor member of the conference. Maybe they’ll get 1/2 of what Nebraska got. No way the B1G is giving a moribund program like KU into their conference without saying you are a minor member.

Don’t remember what kinda deal NU cut with the B1G but I know they weren’t a full fledge member like Missouri has always been in the SEC.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 05:02 PM 07-24-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
It improves the basketball brand. Football matters. So do national brands, and kansas remains a national brand.

When you look at what's left of other big schools, I'm not sure where else the B1G would go as it tries to expand.

B1G is getting the secondary schools at this point unless they wrangle Notre Dame.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 05:04 PM 07-24-2021
Originally Posted by Superturtle:

Only a fool would leave the greatest conference in history.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 05:06 PM 07-24-2021
If Mizzou isn’t calling the BIG right now, they should.

:-)

Yeah go from the greatest conference in history to a conference that might take KU.

Hilarious
[Reply]
RustShack 05:07 PM 07-24-2021
Football is absolutely the driving force. KU is in a weird position where they make enough money from basketball while also giving your “good teams” more wins in football. The W/L column matters the most. It’ll be interesting seeing how all these teams play out in the SEC. Obviously they will try to have most top teams play as little as possible, but when they do someone has to lose. Some years you might see the best team in the SEC with 2 or 3 losses instead of 1 or 0.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 05:10 PM 07-24-2021

This move does 2 things:

Big 12 is dead.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 05:10 PM 07-24-2021
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
B1G is getting the secondary schools at this point unless they wrangle Notre Dame.

Pickings are slim after Kansas unless Notre Dame is finally receptive (and let’s be honest. ND is their top target, but Kansas is far more likely).

But adding an inarguably elite all-time program in the No. 2 sport ain’t nothing. It’s certainly better than other options they’ve added.

It certainly would give Kansas a chance to prove it doesn’t matter what conference they’re in, they’d dominate. I think they’d find that road much harder than in the Big 12.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 05:12 PM 07-24-2021
So many words to say “I’m scared about our AD, yet I’m going to type paragraphs about the irrelevancy of Mizzou.” Y’all are so scared and nervous about where you will land. We aren’t. There’s a reason for that. Ku is irrelevant. Mizzou isn’t.

I’m laughing my ass off watching the beakers scramble to be relevant.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 05:15 PM 07-24-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Pickings are slim after Kansas unless Notre Dame is finally receptive (and let’s be honest. ND is their top target, but Kansas is far more likely).

But adding an inarguably elite all-time program in the No. 2 sport ain’t nothing. It’s certainly better than other options they’ve added.

It certainly would give Kansas a chance to prove it doesn’t matter what conference they’re in, they’d dominate. I think they’d find that road much harder than in the Big 12.

KU would lose their domination in the B1G & would probably not be considered an elite program anymore.
[Reply]
Page 587 of 726
« First < 87487537577583584585586587 588589590591597637687 > Last »
Up