ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Media Center>Wallcrawler Review: TMNT: Shredder's Revenge
Wallcrawler 09:33 AM 06-17-2022
Out on Gamepass for Xbox, available on all platforms, reviewed on Nintendo Switch (because I have 6 controllers for that system to take full advantage of SIX player co op)

If you grew up in the 80s, and were a fan of the TMNT, then you more than likely burned more than your fair share of quarters in the TMNT arcade cabinet. Over the years, that game has been ported to consoles, along with its much improved counterpart, Turtles In Time.

This new installment is a massive nostalgia kick, while still remaining a fresh experience with some added gameplay mechanics. This game is done in the classic 1987 cartoon style, which I absolutely love. The multiple TMNT series that followed just never measured up in my view, both in art style and execution.

That being said, while many of the voices land really really close to their 1987 sound, it is painfully apparent that Shredder, originally voiced by the late James Avery, is a far cry from what we remember. Krang's voice is equally bad, and his signature warbling laugh is butchered here.

With as few lines as there were in the game, I'm wondering why they didn't simply just rip the lines straight from the show. Literally everything said in the game has been said numerous times in the show.

Perhaps it was a cost issue. It's not a huge deal, but it certainly pulls you off of memory lane and back onto the main highway at times.

At its core, this is still an enjoyable mostly mindless button masher as you move from left to right beating up all enemies on the screen and repeating until you reach the boss. Each of the 7 playable characters have their own distinct feel to them with ratings for range, speed, and power.

Playable for the first time in a game like this is also Splinter, April O'Neil, and Casey Jones. Haven't played as April, because it just doesn't make any sense. She was always the damsel in distress, but here she swings camera equipment, microphones, and throws roundhouse kicks. I hate to bring up woke culture, but that's really the only explanation for a playable April pulling off fighting moves we never saw in the show. Gotta have that strong female character, even if it completely goes against literal years of character development. It's whatever. We didn't play as her, so we don't know if she's any good or not.

The game introduces a nice dodge mechanic that gives the player invincibility frames for a time, helping you to easily avoid situations that would have been cheap quarter stealing deaths on the old arcade cabinet.

Additionally, different attacks can be triggered out of the dodge, sprinting, jumping, double jumping, and when in proximity to a teammate if you're teaming up.

Consecutive attacks build a super meter in the top of the screen, that can eventually be filled 3 times and can activate 3 different types of super crowd clearing attacks.

Additionally, you can pull off a taunt, and if executed fully, it earns a full super meter instantly.

Playing cooperatively, If you are KOd, your team has 10 seconds to reach you and revive you with a pizza. If you can avoid getting hit for the 3-4 second revive time, they won't lose a life and will revive at about 25% health.

You can high five a teammate and restore hp as well, so there are some nice benefits to playing with friends.

The game is 16 episodes long, and playing 4 players, we cleared each mission in about 10-15 minutes each. The story mode has some minor challenges for xp, like locating hidden items, or revealing cameos from the show.

After each mission bragging rights are posted with KO count, longest hit string, and a random award for doing a particular thing in the mission, like Tank award for soaking the most damage.

Arcade mode is your more difficult mode, with no saves and a limited amount of lives. For when you just want to sit and grind it out like the old days.

The boss fights are great, and varied, with each encounter needing to have something new figured out in order to win. It's not just mash X until he flashes, and mash X some more.

Classic villains like Shredder and Krang, Bebob and Rocksteady, Leatherhead, The Rat King, Baxter Stockman, Metalhead, Slash, and Wingnut all give that massive nostalgia kick to the 1987 TV series.

This is a great gem to pick up for just 25 bucks. I recommend getting it on the platform you have the most controllers for if you have friends over, but if that's not the case you can easily find coop games online to experience a fantastic cooperative beat em up game.

8.5/10.
[Reply]
ModSocks 09:37 AM 06-17-2022
OMFG THIS IS A THING???

[Reply]

ModSocks 09:38 AM 06-17-2022
Seriously im buying this as soon as i get home. I haven't even read a word of Wallcrawler's review and really dont even care what anyone says. I had no idea they made this.

Im buying it and playing it until i turn 6 again.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 09:40 AM 06-17-2022
It's terrific, probably the best beat'em up I've ever played.
[Reply]
Wallcrawler 09:41 AM 06-17-2022
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Seriously im buying this as soon as i get home. I haven't even read a word of Wallcrawler's review and really dont even care what anyone says. I had no idea they made this.

Im buying it and playing it until i turn 6 again.
It's pretty amazing man. We 4 player co oped the entire game start to finish in story mode to unlock Casey Jones.

He was well worth the unlock. We're playing again tonight, and going for mission challenges this time around.

It's a nice trip back to classic gaming.

It just released yesterday, so you haven't missed out lol.
[Reply]
CoMoChief 10:00 AM 06-17-2022
If youre a master of the old skool game Turtles in Time like me, then you'll love this game.
[Reply]
Wallcrawler 10:04 AM 06-17-2022
Originally Posted by CoMoChief:
If youre a master of the old skool game Turtles in Time like me, then you'll love this game.
I just love the dodge mechanic, and the Double Dragon/Streets of Rage style grab moves. Just walk into them and then the direction determines what you do.

Down throws them at the screen for a hilarious KO, up does the classic ba k and forth overhead bash, and forward or back throws them into enemies/objects.

It's so cool to have variety in how you eliminate enemies and not just slamming the attack button a million times.
[Reply]
backinblack 10:20 AM 06-17-2022
They are also coming out with a collection of all the old arcade/NES/SNES/Genesis/Game Boy games sometime this year. Can’t wait for that one.
[Reply]
CoMoChief 10:28 AM 06-17-2022
Also...if you were into the TMNT cartoons and Batman animated series from the 90s like I was as a kid....Just found out they have a Batman vs TMNT animated crossover movie and it's highly entertaining to watch.

Note* - may need to use a good popup blocker.

https://www.divicast.com/watch-movie...-41181.5380111
[Reply]
Wallcrawler 12:46 PM 06-17-2022
Originally Posted by backinblack:
They are also coming out with a collection of all the old arcade/NES/SNES/Genesis/Game Boy games sometime this year. Can’t wait for that one.
I had the TMNT the arcade game, Turtles In Time, and Out of the Shadows on my Xbox 360. Unfortunately, none of those are playable on my Xbox One.

I vaguely remember playing TMNT Manhattan Project on my Sega Genesis about 27 years ago lol.

The original NES game just infuriated the shit out of me on so many levels, so I doubt I would play that again. The fucking underwater bomb defusal level at the dam still makes me rage to think about.
[Reply]
Fish 03:16 PM 06-17-2022
Looks like fun. Not really digging the intentional over pixelated look though.

Only $22. That's good enough value for me to try it.
[Reply]
Wallcrawler 04:44 PM 06-17-2022
Originally Posted by Fish:
Looks like fun. Not really digging the intentional over pixelated look though.

Only $22. That's good enough value for me to try it.
It's essentially a nostalgia shot. It's built to look and perform like an 80's-90's arcade cabinet game.

For a few hours, I was back in 5th grade again.
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 04:42 AM 06-18-2022
Let's get shelled lolz
[Reply]
Wallcrawler 12:31 PM 06-18-2022
Originally Posted by Imon Yourside:
Let's get shelled lolz
Let's kick shell?

Let's get shelled doesn't sound like a good time at all.
[Reply]
Wallcrawler 01:09 PM 06-18-2022
Either my skills are slipping now that I'm nearly 44 years old, or some of these challenges are designed by sick bastards.

Get through the entire skateboard stage with the Turtle Tenderizer boss fight at the end, without taking a single hit?!

And some of these that seem doable, it's like the game knows you're about to succeed and then breaks it off in your ass.

Like complete the stage without getting grabbed 3 times, and it's filled with those little robot bastards that fling the whip out and grab you constantly. You get almost to the end and bam, right up out of the ground it appears to grab you right before the boss.

Sons of bitches
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up