ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 7
< 12345 67 >
Media Center>The Umbrella Academy Netflix
Sure-Oz 10:58 AM 02-18-2019
https://youtu.be/0DAmWHxeoKw

Did anyone watch this? I binged it over the weekend and it was pretty good. Reminds me of watchmen kindve and X-Men mixed.

Pretty close adaptation of the crazy comics.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:03 PM 08-11-2020
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
On average the 4th episode of any Netflix series is when it gets interesting or is just shitty throughout the run.
I made that comparison because 4 episodes is generally when the major networks cancel their programs due to low viewership.
[Reply]
ModSocks 01:34 PM 08-11-2020
Well it looks like this won't be my next new series.
[Reply]
vailpass 02:55 PM 08-11-2020
Originally Posted by Fish:
Gotta admit I was kind of excited seeing a bunch of positive reviews here before watching. But it just fell flat. The actress that plays Allison seems capable and interesting. But man, that character is just worthless. Rumor power? Klaus too. That character is sooo annoying and super useless. For many of them, their character's motivation just made no sense at all, and felt shoehorned into the plot. Like Diego's insistence on messing up the JFK timeline. The family just glossing over their sister repeatedly attacking them and blowing shit up?

And then Lila:

Spoiler!

5:

Spoiler!

Reginald:

Spoiler!

Meh.
Fish, I respectfully submit that if you are going to pick apart this make-believe show because it’s not realistic enough for you, it may not be the show for you.
[Reply]
allen_kcCard 04:09 PM 08-11-2020
I had zero expectations going into the 1st season, and same for second season other than my own thoughts based on what I had already seen of the 1st season.

I thought both of them were entertaining.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:45 PM 08-11-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
The Umbrella Academy is budgeted at $10 million per episode or $100 million per season.

They are definitely going for "quality" but many of their shows are hit or miss.

If Umbrella Academy launched on CBS, NBC, ABC or Fox, it would have been cancelled after 4 episodes.
WTF! That’s Mandolorian money. $100 million doesn’t mean “quality”. Didn’t they spend a fortune on the Marco Polo thing too?

I’ve liked Altered Carbon and Stranger Things but I can’t think of anything else off the top of my head.

So what’s the problem over there? What’s the word on the street?
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:13 AM 08-12-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
$100 million doesn’t mean “quality”.
$10 million per episode doesn't guarantee quality writing, which is the biggest issue with The Umbrella Academy.

But the $10 million all but guarantees quality VFX, cinematography, editing, Kraft Services, etc., all of which TUA does offer. But as usual, they skimped on the score (Netflix pays composers a notoriously low Per-Music-Minute Rate).

Didn’t they spend a fortune on the Marco Polo thing too?
That was an Amazon Prime product.

I’ve liked Altered Carbon and Stranger Things but I can’t think of anything else off the top of my head.
I've never seen an episode of Altered Carbon but it's on my list. I watched most of the first season of Stranger Things and found it so incredibly derivative of 80's films that I didn't bother finishing it.

I know that a big portion of its viewers liked it because of the nostalgic qualities and even though I was still a teenager for most of the 80's, I'm nostalgic for the 70's, so it didn't quite hit the mark for me.

So what’s the problem over there? What’s the word on the street?
Netflix really made a name for themselves as a Blockbuster replacement, then began licensing the rights to inexpensive TV shows that didn't quite make it on their home network (i.e., Breaking Bad). It was a cheap service at $7.99 a month and offered something that a huge cable TV package, which was at least $100 dollar more per month at the time.

They began working on Netflix Originals but just like with any TV network, created pilots and shows that missed the mark. But as their revenues grew, they began bidding on more and more discarded Network TV pilots and concepts and again, for $7.99 a month, viewers could afford to watch these shows because of the price.

Now, it's $12.99 a month and they're competing with Studio-Sponsored streamers, all of whom have had decades of experience with creating new successful shows, producing them within a budget and in a timely fashion. Had Netflix tried to compete with Disney+, Hulu, CBS All Access and Amazon Prime beginning in 2020, they would have been crushed like Quibi or any other number of startup streamers that have failed.

Streaming is only becoming more competitive and unlike HBO Max, Disney+ or the Peacock, Netflix doesn't have a huge back catalog of well known titles and TV series to fall back upon, so they have a very challenging future ahead, especially if they continue to greenlight shows that just don't have a broad appeal. Plus, they're losing extremely popular shows (and eventually, consumers) who watch shows like Friends, Community, Parks & Rec, etc. and so on, which will move to their respective homes once the licensing agreements end.
[Reply]
Fish 11:18 AM 08-12-2020
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Fish, I respectfully submit that if you are going to pick apart this make-believe show because it’s not realistic enough for you, it may not be the show for you.
Eh, just making comments and giving my opinion. I don't know why you guys are white knighting it and taking issue with criticism.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:37 AM 08-12-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
John Goodman would've been a better choice for a sulky lesbian character.

Ellen Page sucks so very, very much.
I agree. But find the picture of her with her cans out making out with Kate Mara. It will make you feel better. :-)
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:58 PM 08-12-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I agree. But find the picture of her with her cans out making out with Kate Mara. It will make you feel better. :-)
Inadvertently stumbled onto this morning when O.City was kind enough to post a twitter account w/ some newly located footage of that russian Instagram goddess. Said account happened to link the clip.

Kate Mara makes it move a bit...
[Reply]
Buehler445 04:40 PM 08-12-2020
Inadvertently stumbled onto this morning when O.City was kind enough to post a twitter account w/ some newly located footage of that russian Instagram goddess. Said account happened to link the clip.

Kate Mara makes it move a bit...
Kate Mara is my weakness. She does it for me. She’s not what she once was, but still trips my trigger.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:33 PM 08-12-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Kate Mara is my weakness. She does it for me. She’s not what she once was, but still trips my trigger.
Few of us are...
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:43 PM 08-12-2020
Few of us are...
Ain’t that some shit?
[Reply]
vailpass 10:15 PM 08-12-2020
Originally Posted by Fish:
Eh, just making comments and giving my opinion. I don't know why you guys are white knighting it and taking issue with criticism.
No issue taken whatsoever. Sorry if it seemed that way.
[Reply]
Fish 10:39 PM 08-12-2020
Originally Posted by vailpass:
No issue taken whatsoever. Sorry if it seemed that way.
Nah, no worries. I watch a very wide range of scifi. I'm a sucker for it. Good and bad. Some of it just irks me more than others. This show had a decent set of actors and a pretty gracious budget, and it just seemed to me like they fell short of what could have been so much better. I just found a lot to bitch about...
[Reply]
sully1983 10:59 AM 08-13-2020
Binged season 2 in a week and was very entertained by it (and I normally am not a big fan of time travel shit but this worked here). Great cast & the kid that plays #5 cracked me up and was super talented. Highly recommend it if you have Netflix.

solid 8/10

Bring on Season 3
[Reply]
Page 5 of 7
< 12345 67 >
Up