ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Media Center>Turning Point 09/11 (Netflix)
WilliamTheIrish 06:00 PM 09-06-2021
5 part series. I’ve found it to be very engaging through part 4. Lots of reminders of how we arrived at the present state in Afghanistan.

Pretty extensive history, starting with the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan in 1979. Some very familiar political figures and war veterans who were involved comment along with clips from interviews with Rumsfeld and (Patty boy’s hero) Cheney.

Good thorough discussion of Obama and Biden’s role in continuing the war and the escalation in 2009/2010.

Enjoyable, emotional at times too. But worth the time IMO.
[Reply]
Bowser 06:57 PM 09-06-2021
Nice, will add to the queue.

I'll admit I still get emotional 20 years after the fact if I ever catch myself watching videos from people in New York that day. I imagine that's just going to be the way it is for me from now on.
[Reply]
backinblack 04:07 PM 09-07-2021
Watched it a few days ago, thought it was pretty good.

Currently trudging through the Spike Lee one on HBO Max, the first two stupidly long episodes don't even touch on 9/11, talks about Trump and Covid and pretty much major events of the last five or so years, blah blah blah. Getting into the third episode now and they are finally getting into the WTC and it's construction and background of 9/11.
[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 05:23 PM 09-07-2021
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Nice, will add to the queue.

I'll admit I still get emotional 20 years after the fact if I ever catch myself watching videos from people in New York that day. I imagine that's just going to be the way it is for me from now on.
I’ve also got to recommend the book I read originally in 2006/07, What’s a Life Worth?. It’s now a top rated movie on Netflix with Michael Keaton and Stanley Tucci.

There was an interview with Feinberg today that jolted my memory of the book. It just shows you how many ways and how many lives were affected by the loss of life.

Those towers served 80,000 tourists a day. So you can imagine how many people were visiting for the first time that day. It’s an incredible book. The movie looks solid as well.

Originally Posted by :
Just days after September 11, 2001, Kenneth Feinberg was appointed to administer the federal 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund, a unique, unprecedented fund established by Congress to compensate families who lost a loved one on 9/11 and survivors who were physically injured in the attacks. Those who participated in the Fund were required to waive their right to sue the airlines involved in the attacks, as well as other potentially responsible entities. When the program was launched, many families criticized it as a brazen, tight-fisted attempt to protect the airlines from lawsuits. The Fund was also attacked as attempting to put insulting dollar values on the lives of lost loved ones. The families were in pain. And they were angry. Over the course of the next three years, Feinberg spent almost all of his time meeting with the families, convincing them of the generosity and compassion of the program, and calculating appropriate awards for each and every claim.

The Fund proved to be a dramatic success with over 97% of eligible families participating. It also provided important lessons for Feinberg, who became the filter, the arbitrator, and the target of family suffering. Feinberg learned about the enduring power of family grief, love, fear, faith, frustration, and courage. Most importantly, he learned that no check, no matter how large, could make the families and victims of 9/11 whole again.

[Reply]
HemiEd 05:44 PM 09-07-2021
Very dry documentary, no thanks
[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 09:52 AM 09-09-2021
Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish:
I’ve also got to recommend the book I read originally in 2006/07, What’s a Life Worth?. It’s now a top rated movie on Netflix with Michael Keaton and Stanley Tucci.

There was an interview with Feinberg today that jolted my memory of the book. It just shows you how many ways and how many lives were affected by the loss of life.

Those towers served 80,000 tourists a day. So you can imagine how many people were visiting for the first time that day. It’s an incredible book. The movie looks solid as well.
This movie sucked. I think by reading the book, which was super, that I figured this had to be good.

Just nothing real about it.
[Reply]
meleknistra 07:28 AM 09-13-2021
I still can't watch it. i know it's 20 years now, still feels like it was yesterday
[Reply]
ChiTown 09:28 AM 09-13-2021
Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish:
This movie sucked. I think by reading the book, which was super, that I figured this had to be good.

Just nothing real about it.
I read the book as well - it was fantastic. A friend of mine who saw the movie told me not to waste my time. Given the actors, that's disappointing.
[Reply]
Funkstown 11:18 AM 09-13-2021
I watched that documentary and actually know the woman who survived the pentagon attack. I've read the book, and the documentary I had a few issues. Most of them were the features of the CAIR's fanatics and Barbara Lee spewing their progressive talking points.
[Reply]
Up