ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 224 of 287
« First < 124174214220221222223224 225226227228234274 > Last »
Media Center>*The NEW Movies Thread*
Bowser 11:09 AM 01-04-2014
Old one is crapping out the server, per the new guidelines.

Browse the old thread that is chock full of goodness here -

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=172245
[Reply]
Gravedigger 09:24 AM 03-09-2020
It's a shame that Onward performed poorly this last weekend, it was a really good movie. Maybe I'm just sentimental since I lost my Dad a few years back, but I thought that it was a fun movie, on par with a Wreck It Ralph, just a creative, clever, different, fun movie. Chris Pratt is really good as Barley, the older brother.

Also the newest Black Widow trailer is the first trailer that's actually made me want to see the movie. I doubt it's on par with Winter Soldier but it has the same vibe to it, which interests me.

[Reply]
BigBeauford 09:43 AM 03-09-2020
Originally Posted by Gravedigger:
It's a shame that Onward performed poorly this last weekend, it was a really good movie. Maybe I'm just sentimental since I lost my Dad a few years back, but I thought that it was a fun movie, on par with a Wreck It Ralph, just a creative, clever, different, fun movie. Chris Pratt is really good as Barley, the older brother.

Also the newest Black Widow trailer is the first trailer that's actually made me want to see the movie. I doubt it's on par with Winter Soldier but it has the same vibe to it, which interests me.

Lot of cynical haters (critics) kept touting it as a middling Pixar movie, but I found it to be a top tier Pixar movie. I think the only thing it lacked was a memorable score (which a movie like UP uses to catapult itself to the upper tiers). Honestly Onward might be a top 3 Pixar movie for me.
[Reply]
Gravedigger 09:48 AM 03-09-2020
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
Lot of cynical haters (critics) kept touting it as a middling Pixar movie, but I found it to be a top tier Pixar movie. I think the only thing it lacked was a memorable score (which a movie like UP uses to catapult itself to the upper tiers). Honestly Onward might be a top 3 Pixar movie for me.
Yeah, I would say:

Toy Story (putting all the movies into one category)
Finding Nemo
Incredibles
Onward
Inside Out
Up
Coco

It starts getting hard to rank because Up, Inside Out, and Coco are right there for me, but Onward is definitely up there as well. The part where Barley puts Gwenyvir into Drive to block the police, I laughed pretty hard on that part.
[Reply]
Stryker 11:03 AM 03-09-2020
Originally Posted by DeepPurple:
Rented JoJo Rabbit from Redbox last night. I hadn't heard anything about it and I don't even remember when it was at the theaters. Then I saw Scarlett Johansson and the director/actor (Hitler) on a morning show and then the Academy Awards had it nominated for best picture.

It probably has one of the most unusual storylines someone could come up with. I got the impression it was a comedy, but it's more of a dramatedy. It's about a 10 year old that is in the Nazi youth corp and he is gun ho for Hitler. In fact Hitler is his imaginary friend who pops up now and then. Johansson is his mother, who is a Jew symphanizer and is raising the kid as a single parent. Sam Rockwell plays the kids Nazi instructor and provides most of the laughs due to the outrageous statements he and the others make, mostly about Jews. All the while Johansson is hiding a teenage Jewish girl in her attic, sort of like Anne Frank. The kid finds out and that's when the story really takes shape. There is a lot of drama, people being killed, a rabbit gets killed, you'll be somewhat shocked by it all.

I really liked the ending, I was going to give it a 7, but the last 20 minutes I ended giving it an 8 on IMDB. Probably one of my favorite songs is Heroes by David Bowie, and the films ends with David Bowie singing Heroes in German.

BTW, I finally saw Once Upon a Time..in Hollywood. Loved the film, the music, the sights, the clothes, everything, I was never bored. I think it's an age thing, I graduated from high school in 1968, so everything in the film seemed relavant to me. I really don't usually like all the drawn out dialogue in most of Tarantino films, but in this one, it was cool. I gave it a 10.
Absolutely this! Every thing you stated about it I thought the same. The last 20 minutes truly made the movie and I am so glad I watched it.
[Reply]
Fish 08:44 AM 03-10-2020
Originally Posted by DeepPurple:
Rented JoJo Rabbit from Redbox last night. I hadn't heard anything about it and I don't even remember when it was at the theaters. Then I saw Scarlett Johansson and the director/actor (Hitler) on a morning show and then the Academy Awards had it nominated for best picture.

It probably has one of the most unusual storylines someone could come up with. I got the impression it was a comedy, but it's more of a dramatedy. It's about a 10 year old that is in the Nazi youth corp and he is gun ho for Hitler. In fact Hitler is his imaginary friend who pops up now and then. Johansson is his mother, who is a Jew symphanizer and is raising the kid as a single parent. Sam Rockwell plays the kids Nazi instructor and provides most of the laughs due to the outrageous statements he and the others make, mostly about Jews. All the while Johansson is hiding a teenage Jewish girl in her attic, sort of like Anne Frank. The kid finds out and that's when the story really takes shape. There is a lot of drama, people being killed, a rabbit gets killed, you'll be somewhat shocked by it all.

I really liked the ending, I was going to give it a 7, but the last 20 minutes I ended giving it an 8 on IMDB. Probably one of my favorite songs is Heroes by David Bowie, and the films ends with David Bowie singing Heroes in German.

BTW, I finally saw Once Upon a Time..in Hollywood. Loved the film, the music, the sights, the clothes, everything, I was never bored. I think it's an age thing, I graduated from high school in 1968, so everything in the film seemed relavant to me. I really don't usually like all the drawn out dialogue in most of Tarantino films, but in this one, it was cool. I gave it a 10.
I watched this last night. Was intrigued by the reviews, and usually like Waititi's stuff. But I found it disappointing. The comedy worked well in some parts, but other parts were just downright weird. I thought Scarlett Johansson was especially terrible. Like she was just bumbling through her part and wasn't even trying. It had a feeling of irrationality as well that bothered me for some reason. 5/10.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 08:15 AM 03-11-2020
What? . . . Wait . . . .

Huuuuh, what?

Why did they. . . . . Who. . . . . . What? Sigh

[Reply]
Mennonite 09:42 AM 03-12-2020
Knives Out

Plot was fine. Cast is good. Too many silly elements like the vomiting and Craig's pointless accent.

Christopher Plummer is as old as dirt, but he still seemed more spry than most of the cast.
[Reply]
Danguardace 07:57 PM 03-12-2020
Really enjoyed the Invisible man which has only been out here in the UK for a couple of weeks. Great use of tension and very well captured action and good performances all around.

[Reply]
Deberg_1990 08:42 PM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by Danguardace:
Really enjoyed the Invisible man which has only been out here in the UK for a couple of weeks. Great use of tension and very well captured action and good performances all around.

I liked it a lot. Leigh Whannell has some chops.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:26 PM 03-13-2020
It had been awhile so I put Good Will Hunting on.

Goddamn that is a good movie. It has some really tight dialogue and even the blocking and camera work do a nice job. For a movie in which not a ton happens, it is really good.

Some of the better emoting scenes I’ve seen in awhile. There was some pretty tough asks in there with Damon, Skarsgard, Williams. Hell I’d forgotten Minnie Driver was in this movie. She knocked it out of the park. Especially at the end. There wasn’t a lot of dialogue she had to work with and she crushed it. In an era inundated with super heros, dinosaurs and copious CGI, it’s a nice watch. It gets back to the organic. And does it well.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:10 PM 03-18-2020
I caught Spenser Confidential on Netflix. Pretty good. Nothing groundbreaking, but enjoyable. Fight scenes are legit. Humor was pretty on point.

[Reply]
DeepPurple 09:53 AM 03-19-2020
I've had Directv since 2008, trying to knock my bill down I just dropped HBO, Cinemax, Showtime & Starz but I added Epix. You get 3 commercial free un-edited movie channels for $6 a month and they have a lot of flicks that the other haven't haven't shown.

Recently I've watched Downsizing, with Kristin Wiig and Matt Damon I thought it would be good, it was awful, horrible movie I gave a 4. It was from the same director of Sideways, one of my all time favorites, what happened?

A Quiet Place, I was surprised that it was somewhat scary, good, but not great, gave it a 7.

I have the following recorded but haven't had a chance to watch; Mission Impossible - Fallout, Death Wish with Bruce Willis, The Skeleton Twins with Kristin Wiig and Bill Hader, Annihilation with Natalie Portman and Jennifer Jason Leigh, Jigsaw and Rocketman all from Epix.

They also had some old ones I've been looking for, from '68 After the Fox, a Peter Sellers comedy where he plays a Hollywood director and goes to a small Italian Village under the premise of making a movie so he can rob the bank. Victor Mature plays a over-the-hill movie star who he hoodwinks into starring in the film and he's really funny as he walks around in a trench coat smiling all the time.
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:29 PM 03-19-2020
Death Wish is pretty good. Not what I expected with a Bruce Willis movie called death wish but it’s a good watch.
[Reply]
heapshake 02:49 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Death Wish is pretty good. Not what I expected with a Bruce Willis movie called death wish but it’s a good watch.
The Ice Cream Man scene is outstanding.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 03:51 PM 03-19-2020
Wife and I are watching pandemic themed movies in light of the recent events. We kicked it off with Children of Men. It's been a really long time since I watched it, but man what a ride. I might have to strongly consider putting that one in my top 10 of all time.
[Reply]
Page 224 of 287
« First < 124174214220221222223224 225226227228234274 > Last »
Up