ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 12
« First < 23456 78910 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Taking a pay cut to get out of a job you hate
bdj23 10:50 AM 01-22-2022
Without getting too detailed about my personal life....

I'm burnt out

Has anyone on CP ever had to do this? Did it work out for you? Is not having the extra money worth being happy? Is making alright money worth feeling like you have sold your soul?

Any input or advice is appreciated.
[Reply]
jerryaldini 11:30 PM 01-22-2022
I have one of those "professional" jobs that requires silly meetings about nothing, box checking beauracracy, schmoozing stakeholders, way too much time sitting on ass looking at a computer screen, work never really done at end of day etc.

Have always fantasized about something simple like being a delivery driver where I could work alone, no meetings or projects, be outside, get exercise, end of day A got moved to B done. Way less money. I'm giving myself two more years max. Sounds like you really need the change now.
[Reply]
PunkinDrublic 02:13 AM 01-23-2022
Originally Posted by jerryaldini:
I have one of those "professional" jobs that requires silly meetings about nothing, box checking beauracracy, schmoozing stakeholders, way too much time sitting on ass looking at a computer screen, work never really done at end of day etc.

Have always fantasized about something simple like being a delivery driver where I could work alone, no meetings or projects, be outside, get exercise, end of day A got moved to B done. Way less money. I'm giving myself two more years max. Sounds like you really need the change now.
I did seasonal work over the holidays doing Amazon delivery, it whipped me into shape but no way could I do it year round.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:26 AM 01-23-2022
Both my wife and I have made this move.

She left private practice where she was making more in 2013 than she is now, and was 18-24 months away from making partner, for a job with Jackson County prosecutor's office. It was a 35-40 percent cut. But well worth it for her sanity.

In the summer of 2019, I found myself miserable at work despite great compensation and a "fast track" to a directorship. I was probably 9-12 months away from a promotion, big pay pump, and taking over the team I was on while my then-boss was moved to a different role.

I ended up leaving for only a slight decrease, but much less runway as far as upward mobility. It's been the best thing ever.

Oh, and my nightmare boss got his as a result of my exit interview, too. So satisfying all the way around.

I say... based on both of those experiences... go for it as long as it doesn't leave you in danger of being on the street or something.
[Reply]
Dayze 09:42 AM 01-23-2022
My department was laid off the day before thanksgiving. I HATED that job. I would literally dry heave in the parking lot before going in on a majority of days. Or get an upset stomach feeling the closer I got to it on my commute. Worked there 6 years. It was high speed low drag. Maximum stress. I eventually got to the point where I hated literally everyone but three people there. I would avoid interacting with anyone. I would fantasize about punching my bosses in the face. I never went to any happy hours or any team builders. Even when they would do an on-site little bbq /grilled burgers etc for lunch I would leave and go out to lunch because I couldn’t stand anyone there, any sort of group meeting or presentation I would avoid.

Saturday nights I would start getting depressed because the next day was Sunday. Sundays I was miserable all day with dread.

It was so awful. But being a person who completes things, I always extended my deadline to get out. “Once this project is over then I’ll start kooking”. Etc.

My commute was 37 miles each way, and 50 minutes each way with zero traffic issues. I recently accepted a job tha is 7 miles /12 minutes away. I don’t even have to get on the highway. My pay is 10% less but I have a bonuses potential of 10%.

To answer your question….yes it’s worth it. Get out. I’m so pissed I gave those idiots six years of my life and stress and aggravation. I’m all about eliminating stress these days. Either by working on myself and how I process stress or moving on from something if it’s not working out.
[Reply]
scho63 10:09 AM 01-23-2022
I would NEVER stay in a job I hate. I would be gone in < 30 days.
[Reply]
scho63 10:11 AM 01-23-2022
Have some respect for yourself.

They demoted you, cut your pay and you're debating what to do.

You should be pounding the pavement and get a new job ASAP
[Reply]
Jenson71 10:16 AM 01-23-2022
Originally Posted by scho63:
I would NEVER stay in a job I hate. I would be gone in < 30 days.
Easier said than done if you have dependents.
[Reply]
golfindude 10:17 AM 01-23-2022
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Worked at a job for 14 years where I absolutely hated half of the people I worked with. Got to the point where I would sit in the parking garage and have to talk myself in to going in for that day.

Ended up taking a lesser paying job and moving out of state. Around $1000 less a month. Turned out being the best thing for me because I spent 2.5 years there before taking a job working from home making around $1000 more a month then I made at the first job.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That first paragraph sounded so much like me. I remember sitting in the parking lot, listening to Don Williams on the radio singing ' Lord , I hope this day is good." Burnt out big time, I decided, this is BS, found another job at $800 a mth loss. I didn't like it much better but at least making a move made me feel like I was in control. 6 mths later found another job I liked, got completely refreshed being around good people. . 8 yrs later took a good paying job that I kept till retirement. Many, many people are in your same position in life. If your a good worker/person, it usually works out.
[Reply]
scho63 10:18 AM 01-23-2022
Originally Posted by Jenson71:
Easier said than done if you have dependents.
Bullshit. It's a lazy excuse and crutch.

There are so many jobs out there now it's not funny.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 10:18 AM 01-23-2022
Originally Posted by BDj23:

I'm burnt out

Has anyone on CP ever had to do this? Did it work out for you? Is not having the extra money worth being happy? Is making alright money worth feeling like you have sold your soul?

I did it last year. Switched companies and moved from management to staffing. Took a pay cut from about $135K to $115-120K. I went from being constantly on call to working no more than 40 hours per week. I was usually on site a minimum of 22/28 days, working on site while also taking multiple Zoom/Teams meetings per week while at home. I spent six years of additional schooling to learn my trade. Now I don't have to deal with stupid bullshit like hiring or dealing with couriers, calling tow trucks, managing credit card receipts, placating dumbass customers who can't handle the minimal basics of competence, I can stay up and watch the end of a baseball game without being drag-ass tired the next day, and I don't have to listen to incompetent sales people who know nothing about medicine try to guide policy.

I'd hang myself from my nuts with Concertina wire before I ever went back into management.

Leave.
[Reply]
hometeam 10:23 AM 01-23-2022
I did it a few years back, was going to take about a 20k paycut and change professions entirely.

They convinced me to stay with a big fat raise and a time off package, i said screw it, this is the evil I know.

Best decision I ever made, my job satisfaction has improved greatly and between the pay plan improvement, and the actual profit improvements made over the past couple of years, I basically made 120k more this past year than the job I was leaving to go to.

Its a crapshoot honestly~ I kind of feel like most jobs you aren't gonna like might as well make a bunch of money
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 10:25 AM 01-23-2022
Oh, and after I left they split my job into two jobs.
[Reply]
Jenson71 10:27 AM 01-23-2022
Originally Posted by scho63:
Bullshit. It's a lazy excuse and crutch.

There are so many jobs out there now it's not funny.
The question isn't, "Should I leave the job I hate for a job I'll like that pays better or the same?" We all know the answer to that one.
[Reply]
TEX 10:29 AM 01-23-2022
Originally Posted by BDj23:

I'm burnt out

I did it a few years back. It was THE BEST MOVE I ever made. I just had to get used to making less, so I made a few adjustments. Some of which I still do today. But the peace of mind I got from the situation allowed me to find an even better job. Can't explain it really, except I was in a totally better frame of mind, and because of that I was more open to possibilities. I think I carried myself better and that lead to a lot of personal improvement via the trickle down effect. So, when better opportunities came along, I was ready. Don't rush the process, let it play out
and be ready when it does. Being happy counts a lot, especially the older one gets. I hope it works out as well for you, as it did for me. Best of luck!
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:48 AM 01-23-2022
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Oh, and after I left they split my job into two jobs.
Ha, same brother.

They also went through 3 people in my position in the first year after I left. Because the job/situation was impossible.

My boss's boss tried hard to keep me. Offered me a raise in pay and responsibility, but I stayed strong and left because I knew I would still have to deal with the same people and headaches.

Management in and of itself isn't an issue, i don't think. I think it's more when you're in a management role AND still in a production/productive role (which was my situation, compounded by everything being 25 percent harder because my boss was an extreme micromanager).

To sum up my former boss (who can get AIDS and die in a fire):

I once was leading a new meeting/project group. We spent about 20 hours (at his pace and insistence) working together to prep for the first meeting (which was intended to be a 1-hour max, monthly check-in). Then he went on vacation the week before the meeting...

While he was out, his boss asked to see my slidedeck and made several suggestions/requests for change in approach and content. I made them.

When my direct manager got back on Monday and requested a 2-hour meeting to prepare for the 1-hour kick-off meeting the next day, he got incensed and started telling me to go back to the version we had before. I said specifically that I would take his requests under advisement but was in a tough spot because he was asking for the opposite of what his VP and the other leader of our group had specifically asked for.

I learned later that he was so mad he wanted to put corrective action on my record for "insubordination" but got shut down when he floated the idea to his HR contact.

Anyway. Fuck that guy.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 12
« First < 23456 78910 > Last »
Up